shape
carat
color
clarity

David Klass 10K vs 14K yellow gold?

SouthernGent

Shiny_Rock
Can anyone provide me any pictures of what David Klass's 10K yellow gold looks like compared to his 14K? I've asked him directly for pictures, but he hasn't responded and I feel like I've pestered him enough recently regarding my ring design and hesitate to bother him again.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
He does 10k?????

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, that’s nice. Many jewelers refuse to do 10k.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
What are their reasonings for that?

I can't speak for them but I think many people consider 10k kind of not high class or not good quality, almost costume jewelry level. So it's possible some jewelers think it will bring their reputation down with potential customers if they become known for working with lower cost materials (and it's possible it really would). Just a thought.

SouthernGent

Shiny_Rock
I love 10k, my gems don’t budge in 10k, and I can’t tell too much of a difference between 14k and 10k. I have tons of issues with 18k.
I looked at some 10K in a local jewelry store last week and I'll be darned if I could tell a difference either. I'm sure it depends on what secondary metals were used to make the 10K, but if it's done right I don't see an issue with 10K.
I read here on another thread that I posted though that DK's 10K has sort of a pinkish/peachish undertone, so it must have something in it that does that - maybe copper?

AV_

Ideal_Rock
These other alloys can have nicer properties - hardness, colours! - but they tend to tarnish & stain. The older alloys sure do & I am not very confident about novelties.

It could be illegal in some places to call 'Gold' anything with less Au in it than 14K. I found out this by asking for the beautiful RED gold of pre-war 'travel' jewelry - 9K often; the stuff exists at the bottom of drawers & at antiquarians, but they need to thread this fine line ...

Last edited:

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
These other alloys can have nicer properties - hardness, colours! - but they tend to tarnish & stain. The older alloys sure do & I am not very confident about novelties.

Yes, I noticed this when I was clearing out some of my older jewelry. I have since avoided 10K because of it. Perhaps alloys used have gotten better because I do have one 10K ring that I don't have an issue with.

Reactions: AV_

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Trust me, even side by side it’s hard to pick 10kt from 14kt colour wise.
The main benefit with 10k gold especially for men’s rings, is it’s more scratch and “bend” resistant. Here in Australia, men’s wedding rings are preferred in 9ct gold (we use 9ct not 10kt due to our “British” heritage!).
Snobbery aside, the back of the band of my 18kt rings are all worse for wear (fine scratches and dents) whereas a 9ct signet ring, Antique, looks 10 times fresher and newer - still!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And the best colour “rose gold” in my humble opinion is always the 9ct assay. Just more pink.

voce

Ideal_Rock
There's pros and cons to both, but precisely because many jewelers won't do anything below 14k, I don't think I'd go below 14k--that way, I can resize my rings any time without problems.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I looked at some 10K in a local jewelry store last week and I'll be darned if I could tell a difference either. I'm sure it depends on what secondary metals were used to make the 10K, but if it's done right I don't see an issue with 10K.
I read here on another thread that I posted though that DK's 10K has sort of a pinkish/peachish undertone, so it must have something in it that does that - maybe copper?

I dont know if dk's has that peachish tone, my 10k ring was from a random vintage seller.

Here's a random comparison shot I grabbed from the web. I think the difference will be pretty subtle.

10-14-18 Rings.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Perhap it is copper. That’s what’s in rose gold. For a while, I’m not sure if they still have it, Tiffany & Co was charging $$$$ for a 7kt rose gold alloy they made jewelry out of. It was very pretty, but totally overpriced for such a diluted alloy of gold.

Nickel tends to cause allergies, so if you can avoid nickel alloys, you should be okay if you’re allergic to lower karat metals.

ETA: Tiffany is still selling it. It’s only 33% gold and 55% copper and some silver. It’s called “rubedo” metal and it’s so low in gold karatage that it’s not allowed to be stamped with a karat value I guess. For the prices, it might as well be 18k or platinum!!

Last edited:

AV_

Ideal_Rock
@T L Rubedo did come to mind writing above. I am rather wondering why they'd play with words rather than with alloys - if not to ensure that whoever pays the required puts up with what they have bought, forshame; the bronze age is over

Last edited:
Reactions: T L

mdi

Shiny_Rock
This is an interesting thread to me -- I'd always assumed it was better to have a higher gold content. Do people prefer everyday rings in 14K over 18K? Just for durability/practicality purposes?

(Let me know if this is the wrong spot and I'll start a new thread!)

voce

Ideal_Rock
I go for 14k for the durability. I do not go lower so that no jeweler in NA will ever tell me they won't resize or repair my ring.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
I truly don't mind a piece of jewelry made of 10k, especially if it is made well. That piece will stay in such good shape for so long.
I'm just a lover of all 3 equally though! I think for most of us 14k is just a sweet spot and it might be silly but its nice to have a higher gold content and know that.
Albeit if you want durability/longevity, I can't tell the difference between 10k and 14k yellow Gold and I'm sure that not many can either.

Also @voce , I'm a little confused because ive never had an issue finding a jeweler to resize a 10k gold ring. Maybe NM is different though? But, the first jeweler that I called was willing to resize a large 10k signet ring for me.

Reactions: mdi

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There's pros and cons to both, but precisely because many jewelers won't do anything below 14k, I don't think I'd go below 14k--that way, I can resize my rings any time without problems.

My jeweler refuses to make or carry any 10k, but he will do resizing or setting stones with my 10k rings.

voce

Ideal_Rock
I guess maybe I'm too puritanically picky, but if jewellers don't carry 10k but resize 10k, they must use 14k to weld the cut part together. That would bother me, since my eye is pretty sensitive to the difference in color.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
I guess maybe I'm too puritanically picky, but if jewellers don't carry 10k but resize 10k, they must use 14k to weld the cut part together. That would bother me, since my eye is pretty sensitive to the difference in color.

Eh, 10k solder is readily available and easy to purchase. Youd think theyd use the same carat solder as the piece but if you have doubts one can always ask to make sure.
I love vintage and antique pieces and a lot of them were intricately made with 10k so I suppose I'm desensitized to the idea that 10k is "low quality". BUT, with that said, please everyone keep purchasing only 14k and up so I can have all of the antique 9/10k pieces for myself :appl::appl::appl:

voce

Ideal_Rock
Eh, 10k solder is readily available and easy to purchase. Youd think theyd use the same carat solder as the piece but if you have doubts one can always ask to make sure.
I love vintage and antique pieces and a lot of them were intricately made with 10k so I suppose I'm desensitized to the idea that 10k is "low quality". BUT, with that said, please everyone keep purchasing only 14k and up so I can have all of the antique 9/10k pieces for myself :appl::appl::appl:
You bring up a good point. I was not aware that 10k solder is readily available. I like to have control over how my gemstones are set, unless it's a really basic style like halo. I enjoy designing and having my own unique custom jewelry more so than looking for ready-to-wear antiques with my time. You can have all the antiques you want. We'll get along fabulously. :P2

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
You bring up a good point. I was not aware that 10k solder is readily available. I like to have control over how my gemstones are set, unless it's a really basic style like halo. I enjoy designing and having my own unique custom jewelry more so than looking for ready-to-wear antiques with my time. You can have all the antiques you want. We'll get along fabulously. :P2

As the kids say, "YAAAASSSSS HUNTY YAAASSSS!!"

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The same goes for silver, but my jeweler will also resize and set stones in silver. I prefer 10k to silver myself, it’s stronger, but with the high price of gold, silver is becoming a more popular substitute. Some silver alloys are strong, but general sterling silver, not as much.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like 14k. 10k feels too cheap to me, and I don't like the super bright screaming yellow color of 18k. So 14k is a nice middle ground to me.

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love 18k or 22k if I am using yg. If wg or rose then 14k.

SouthernGent

Shiny_Rock
I'm not interested in 18K or 22K.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results