shape
carat
color
clarity

dated wedding dress looks?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cammy85

Shiny_Rock
ok, so I have davids bridal L9479 (http://www.davidsbridal.com/bridal_gowns_detail.jsp?stid=3740&prodgroup=10), and I absolutely adore it, but I am reading all over the place that pickup skirts are going "the way of the dodo" (haha sorry whoever I stole it from, it cracked me up). So, while this dress has pickups, they''re in organza and not satin, so I guess I''m worried that in 20 years I am going to look at the pictures and wonder why I didn''t go for a timeless look (ya know, like poofy 80''s hair and cone bras! hehe). I love the dress, and it makes me feel fabulous. Knowing how it makes you feel and how much you love it, I am wondering if, in 20 years, I will even care if that''s not ''hip'' anymore, knowing how many wonderful memories that dress was a part of? To be honest, I''m not really sure if the fact it''ll look dated one day even bothers me, heck, everything seems to go in and out of style at some point...

Does anyone have any input?

I think this is ''working things out by getting them out of my head'' and hoping people have some valuable insight to share!

Wow, that was a little rambling! Hopefully someone can make sense of it!

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Yes your dress will look outdated in 20 years. Its supposed to. But its not going to take away from how beautiful you will look on your day and how special you will feel.**And by your dress, I'm speaking in general. All dresses worn today will look outdated in 20 years.

My mom's dress is very 1980s. We laugh every time we see the pictures. But the love on her face and the happiness in my dad's eyes can't be hidden by her big, puffy sleeves, lacey, equipped with matching hat and umbrella dress.

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Agree with fiery. My mom also had the lacy sleeved poufy dress and hat. (What was with wedding hats back then?!
40.gif
) FF's mom wore a silk sheath with a fur lined hood (a la LOTR). It was totally hippy. But they loved them and looked beautiful! And you will too.

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
As long as you LOVE it, and feel that''s the dress for you, then go for it!! I think the dress is beautiful and see nothing wrong with the pick-ups.

cammy85

Shiny_Rock
I appreciate the input. Yes, I absolutely adore the dress, and I was just looking for some confirmation of my gut feeling that the memories you have and the absolute happiness you feel that day will trump an outdated dress. I agree that if you feel beautiful, you will be beautiful and that''s what matters. I just wanted to make sure I wasn''t alone in my opinions (it happens from time to time hahaha) :)

Thank you guys for helping me breathe a sigh of relief. I''m going to wear it, feel gorgeous, and look gorgeous to boot. And if the grandkids get a laugh oneday, I will too
26.gif

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
The memories will definitely trump it. FI''s Mom wore a very 80''s dress and the first thing she thinks about isn''t how 80''s her dress was..it''s how beautiful her wedding was.
1.gif
My Mom wore a dress that wasn''t very 80s, it was pretty timeless..you could wear it now with some alterations, but she still has the same view of her wedding (about the memories). So while the dress does matter, it becomes an afterthought.
1.gif

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
OH and BTW, that dress is on my list of favorites!!
16.gif

cammy85

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/31/2008 11:54:04 AM
Author: fieryred33143
OH and BTW, that dress is on my list of favorites!!
16.gif
Firery, you just made my day!
9.gif

Krissie

Brilliant_Rock
I think you should wear whatever makes you feel FABULOUS. My original dress had pickups (which I also loved) but the overall feel of the dress made me think it wasn''t the "one." The dress I ended up wearing had some trendy elements that might look outdated in 20 yrs (micropleated skirt, lace tiers) but I felt amazing all day, and my husband loved it. He even mentioned it in his toast - that he was so glad he didn''t see me before the ceremony, because he was blown away by how amazing the dress looked on me. You can''t replicate that -- so, who cares what you''ll look like in 20 years? Your happiness will shine through the photos.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with the others, go with whatever dress you love and don''t worry about how it will look in the future.

EyeElle

Shiny_Rock
I have to say that that is one of my fav dresses! Its so gorgeous!!

I wouldn''t worry about it looking outdated in 20 years .... if you did then I don''t think you would buy much of anything lol
That is a great style, and a look for today and you feel great in it.

Even if it were to get outdated, I don''t think you would look back on it and say "what were I thinking??" ..... its not like those huge sleeved from way back ... nothing to over the top to regret with this dress lol

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Go with what you love! Unless you pick a very basic sheath dress they will all look outdated in 20 years. Might as well LOVE the dress you wore!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Actually I think that if you look at what Royalty wears to get married, their dresses won''t look nearly as dated as most dresses.

My mom got married in the ''70s, but her dress does not scream 70s. It has a square neck, empire waist, long sleeves, a little bit of lace detail around the neck and under the bust, no poofiness, very simple and sleek. She looked fabulous, and besides what everyone else is wearing and the picture quality, she could have been married in the 30s, 50s, 70s or now. The only thing you can tell about it is that she wasn''t married in the 80s--no poofy sleeves or any signature 80s wedding dress trademarks...

cammy85

Shiny_Rock
SarahLovesJS, Krissie, bee*, as always, love hearing your insights - y'all make great points!

EyeElle - thank you for the compliment! And that's a good point, even in normal clothes things go out of style and we have to occasionally purge our closets- makes sense it is the same with wedding dresses. Thankfully I love a lot of the styles available right now, so that's awesome.

Freke that dress sounds phenom. Sounds very similar to what my mom wore for hers. She had wanted me to try it on, but I wouldn't have it in it to save my life. I would have been interested to see what it would have looked like on me though!

ETA the rest of my post - I got click happy!
2.gif

Carrots

Shiny_Rock
your dress, your ring, your pictures... it''s all what you make of it.

gtn

Brilliant_Rock
I wouldn''t worry about looking dated, as others have already told you, all that matters is how you feel. I didn''t care what others thought of my dress, as long as I felt pretty.

cammy85

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/31/2008 4:33:50 PM
Author: gtn
I wouldn''t worry about looking dated, as others have already told you, all that matters is how you feel. I didn''t care what others thought of my dress, as long as I felt pretty.
yup, sounds like the resounding consensus :)

Thanks!

ilovethiswebsite

Brilliant_Rock
I actually think that dress style is pretty classic... poofy wedding dresses will always be in and out of style... the top part of your dress will always be in though (strapless lace)

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I don't think there is anything such as a "classic" wedding dress. Wedding attire reflects the fashion of the era. My grandmother, married in 1916 wore a classic Edwardian dress (veil was like a shower cap!) and my mother wore a classic 1940's gown (long sleeved, high neckline). You can tell exactly when they were married by the dress, veil, hair, bridesmaids, etc.

So get what you like today and enjoy it. No matter what you wear your kids will ask, "You thought that looked good??"

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Even the most talked about wedding dresses are dated. Look at Grace Kelly''s. The concept of a lace top and full skirt is timeless, and is still being used today. But when you look at that dress, there are several elements (long sleeves, bell skirt) that are now considered dated.

I think your dress takes a pretty traditional concept and makes it relevant to today. If you love it, wear it, because wearing a dress that makes you feel beautiful will give you a bigger smile and greater confidence on your big day.

redfaerythinker

Brilliant_Rock
My dress has pickups. My view is, I love it. It is everything that I have ever wanted. It will look beautiful on my wedding day. And Belle in Beauty and the Beast wore it almost 20 years ago wore it, and people still think they''re great. Yes, they are more popular now, but I think that it''s a classic look, and that it will stand the test of time. JMHO
1.gif

glitterazzi

Shiny_Rock
Just my opinion - but since you asked...
31.gif

If you feel amazing in it - and you love it - then it doesn''t matter whether it will be in style in 20 years or not. EVERY fashion goes out of style for a while - and as we''ve seen with the leggings, leg warmers, and crimpers lately, EVERY style comes back - whether it was good the first time or not. So instead of getting something that you may not feel as amazing in and love as much, but may still be stylish in 20 years, embrace the love you feel for it now, and if you find yourself 20 years down the road wishing you had pics of you in another dress - renew your vows and wear what you''re dreaming of at that time!!!
3.gif

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Freke - you pretty much described my mom''s wedding dress. If she hadn''t been a size 2 and had she preserved the dress, I would have worn it in a heartbeat.

I made the choice to have a dress that had a little bit of a 1950''s throw-back because I like the "classic" look. But I don''t think that''s for everyone. If your no. 1 concern is "timeless" then go with it. But if it''s to have a dress you love and a day you love in the present, then go with that :)

Nocturnius

Shiny_Rock
Sure it''ll look outdated. But everyone''s will. Fashion will change.

If it makes you feel fabulous, then that''s what matters. When you look back, even if it''s outdated, you''ll still get that little tingly feeling. You''ll remember how wonderful it felt to be in that dress. My oldest sister''s dress had big cream puff sleeves and a high neck that I would have never donned in my life. But she looks back and still smiles and rememebrs how beautiful she felt in it.

And in the end, the dress isn''t what matters. Rest assured the happiness on a pair of newlywed''s faces will never be outdated.

frillylace

Rough_Rock
"The way of the dodo" is a common phrase that has been used for years. You're not really stealing it from anyone at this point. :)

As for the dress. Some pick-up gowns are possibly going to look outrageous when we look back. Some however have a bit of timelessness to them. In either case they still won't be classified into the "that looks utterly ridiculous" like some of the 80's styles were. So chances are you will still love your photos even though they are dated.

We look back on certain generations and think their style was gorgeous. Everyone still thinks dresses like Audrey Hepburn's in "Funny Girl" are gorgeous, however it IS indeed dated. So if you love the gown and you don't think it looks like a "laugh" than chances are it will hold to a degree.

Personally, I find that some pick-up skirts are ugly and make a person look like a barbie in a cake, however some with pick-ups have a fairytale beauty about them. It totally depends on the specific gown. The one you picked falls into the Fairytale category in my book.

cammy85

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/3/2008 10:40:53 AM
Author: frillylace
''The way of the dodo'' is a common phrase that has been used for years. You''re not really stealing it from anyone at this point. :)

As for the dress. Some pick-up gowns are possibly going to look outrageous when we look back. Some however have a bit of timelessness to them. In either case they still won''t be classified into the ''that looks utterly ridiculous'' like some of the 80''s styles were. So chances are you will still love your photos even though they are dated.

We look back on certain generations and think their style was gorgeous. Everyone still thinks dresses like Audrey Hepburn''s in ''Funny Girl'' are gorgeous, however it IS indeed dated. So if you love the gown and you don''t think it looks like a ''laugh'' than chances are it will hold to a degree.

Personally, I find that some pick-up skirts are ugly and make a person look like a barbie in a cake, however some with pick-ups have a fairytale beauty about them. It totally depends on the specific gown. The one you picked falls into the Fairytale category in my book.

Thank you for that - I do feel very romantic and flowy. I was terrified I''d feel like a cupcake. And I feel like a beautiful bride. When I look back at the pictures, I won''t feel like I looked rediculous or silly at all. (Granted there was a dress or two I tried on that definitely made me feel rediculous...)

that''s a great point, even things we find gorgeous now does fall in the category of ''dated.'' That''s how we can say we love the ''50''s glam look.'' :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results