shape
carat
color
clarity

Dark crystal on table - VS2 diamond

Weqrty

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice from people who know more than me!

The diamond I'm purchasing has a dark crystal on the table. A few gemologists at James Allen claim this diamond is eye clean but I'm still not 100% confident if this is true.

I don't want the inclusion to distract from the diamond itself, and I'm afraid that the inclusion will be noticeable, especially if I know what I'm looking for. I would really appreciate some advice and opinions on the diamond, linked below. Apart from this I think it's an excellent diamond (60% table and depth, good facets etc.).

Thanks a lot!!

Crazie4Cuts

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If this inclusion bothers you now then it will bother you after you purchase it. There are other ovals that do not have crystals on the table, so just wait. Or take a look at other vendors and check out their inventory. Have you considered Distinctivegems? This vendor has ovals that are outstanding! The Elyque ovals are gorgeous and I do think you should check them out! Rhino is a trusted vendor on Pricescope! I have inquired but not personally purchase a stone and he is responsive. If I wanted an oval I’d purchase one from here. https://www.distinctivegem.com/
-C4C

Attachments

• 4911804F-7B2C-4272-99BD-8E946ABA1B7B.jpeg
    4911804F-7B2C-4272-99BD-8E946ABA1B7B.jpeg
    120.4 KB · Views: 90

Weqrty

Rough_Rock
I have looked at other vendors but the price for what I'm getting often increases quite a lot - JA seems to be competitive plus their videos are very helpful. I'm also fixed to one of their ring settings.

The inclusion will only bother me if it's easy enough to see if you're looking for it. Otherwise I'm happy to compromise considering the price and other qualities of this diamond. The dimensions are also quite large for the carat size without making it a spread diamond (e.g. at 1.24 carats it's still larger than a 1.38 carat oval I saw).

The gemologists also said the brilliance of the diamond would help cover the inclusion so it would be less noticeable than in the video? I thought the VS2 clarity should mean the inclusion is very difficult to see without magnification?

I'm happy to be told otherwise, just looking for more opinions!

Dididudu16

Shiny_Rock
I’m still a newbie but from all the researches I’ve done there are different definitions of eye cleanness and it depends whether it will be mind clean to you. If I remember correctly the official definition is that if you were to view the diamond six inches away, you won’t be able to see the inclusion (I could be wrong). I’ve recently upgrade to a vs2 diamond as well and mine has a pretty big white crystal, it’s eye visible under some strong lighting and knowing where it is. Otherwise the scintillation and brilliance cover it pretty well, so I’m ok with it. Personally if it’s a black inclusion under the table even if the brilliance covers it well under certain lighting it wouldn’t be mind clean to me. And MY definition of eye cleaness means I won’t be able to find the inclusion even if I were to stare at it super close. Lol :lol: But at the end of the day it’s your decision so if you think it will be mind clean to you and you get the biggest bang for your buck then go for it! If you are hesitating and are still bothered by the inclusion, chances are it will continue to bother you so maybe look for other options. Just my two cents, hopefully it helps. :))

Weqrty

Rough_Rock
I’m still a newbie but from all the researches I’ve done there are different definitions of eye cleanness and it depends whether it will be mind clean to you. If I remember correctly the official definition is that if you were to view the diamond six inches away, you won’t be able to see the inclusion (I could be wrong). I’ve recently upgrade to a vs2 diamond as well and mine has a pretty big white crystal, it’s eye visible under some strong lighting and knowing where it is. Otherwise the scintillation and brilliance cover it pretty well, so I’m ok with it. Personally if it’s a black inclusion under the table even if the brilliance covers it well under certain lighting it wouldn’t be mind clean to me. And MY definition of eye cleaness means I won’t be able to find the inclusion even if I were to stare at it super close. Lol :lol: But at the end of the day it’s your decision so if you think it will be mind clean to you and you get the biggest bang for your buck then go for it! If you are hesitating and are still bothered by the inclusion, chances are it will continue to bother you so maybe look for other options. Just my two cents, hopefully it helps. :))

Thanks for your reply! I completely understand your point of view. James Allen's definition of eye-clean is from 10 inches - mine is that I won't be able to see anything super close like you! I've talked to a few of the JA gemologists and they seem confident that it will be really hard to see the inclusion without magnification. I have another diamond that's quite comparable but it's a little bit smaller, has a little more bowtie, and the cut is not quite as good (though still rated excellent) and 3 out of 4 of the gemologists seem to prefer the one with the inclusion. So I think I'm going to go for it and worst case suck up the return cost of US shipping if it really bothers me. It would be a shame to miss out on what feels like a perfect diamond except for the inclusion, and if they're right and I will find it very difficult to see then it won't bother me!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Let us know what you think when you get it. IMO, its a rather large inclusion on the table. If you are young with good eye-sight I think
it may be detectable if you are looking for it. Keeping my fingers crossed that its not though! Keep us posted. We can all learn from your
experience!

Weqrty

Rough_Rock
I'm now comparing this diamond to another one:

The new diamond has a higher grade and looks good but it's slightly smaller (by 14%) and would cost ~£300 more. You can see the size difference below (the original diamond with the inclusion is on the right).

1610983579712.png

I think the size difference is quite noticeable - but which diamond would you go for in this situation?

Crazie4Cuts

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi! @Weqrty ..I hope you will not be offended, but I actually don’t prefer either oval diamonds that you selected. The second one you posted has a disorganized pattern on the table to my eyes and there are visual areas which doesn’t have enough scintillation. And some areas seem to have ‘a dead look’ for lack of a better description. See pics below.
BB668089-7A6C-4875-BFFE-A9A8158AABDC.jpeg

But I hope you are open to suggestions and though this one I selected is slightly larger and has only very good symmetry, go to the link and view this one.

Of the ovals I saw on the site, I thought this one has more brightness although not fully edge to edge scintillation.

79288CC9-5611-45BC-B51B-0123185EECD3.jpeg

And although I did ask you to look at Distinctivegems website, I really like this H VVS2 oval but see the picture below and you hopefully see why I do like how the Elyque oval has edge to edge scintillation and brightness. And to let you know I am sure Jonathan can also help with you with a similar setting if you should consider an Elyque. But do realize that James Allen offers good settings and diamonds as well.

57A3CC86-9AFF-4520-8195-E15FF804E530.jpeg

Hope this helps,
-C4C

Weqrty

Rough_Rock
Hi! @Weqrty ..I hope you will not be offended, but I actually don’t prefer either oval diamonds that you selected. The second one you posted has a disorganized pattern on the table to my eyes and there are visual areas which doesn’t have enough scintillation. And some areas seem to have ‘a dead look’ for lack of a better description. See pics below.
BB668089-7A6C-4875-BFFE-A9A8158AABDC.jpeg

But I hope you are open to suggestions and though this one I selected is slightly larger and has only very good symmetry, go to the link and view this one.

Of the ovals I saw on the site, I thought this one has more brightness although not fully edge to edge scintillation.

79288CC9-5611-45BC-B51B-0123185EECD3.jpeg

And although I did ask you to look at Distinctivegems website, I really like this H VVS2 oval but see the picture below and you hopefully see why I do like how the Elyque oval has edge to edge scintillation and brightness. And to let you know I am sure Jonathan can also help with you with a similar setting if you should consider an Elyque. But do realize that James Allen offers good settings and diamonds as well.

57A3CC86-9AFF-4520-8195-E15FF804E530.jpeg

Hope this helps,
-C4C

Thanks for your opinion C4C. Could you send me a link to the Elyque diamond? I do like the diamond you selected from JA but it's starting to go over budget for me - around £5000 before tax was my limit!

Crazie4Cuts

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Weqrty
Here you go! I did the conversion, so this should be right under your budget! You can ask for a video and see if Jonathan (@Rhino) will be able to help you out with that.

Attachments

• 9D82A9B4-A62E-489B-87DC-F52918CA9700.jpeg
    9D82A9B4-A62E-489B-87DC-F52918CA9700.jpeg
    29.7 KB · Views: 162

Weqrty

Rough_Rock
I wanted to follow up as you never know when it will be helpful to others searching for similar answers.

I went ahead and purchased this diamond from James Allen and I couldn't be happier. The dark crystal on the table (see image below at 40x magnification) is almost impossible to see with your eyes and the diamond is certainly eye-clean. Studying the diamond face-on and very close up I just can't see the occlusion at all. I might have seen the occlusion at a very strange sideward angle under a lamp (I guess this means there is no light reflecting back at you through the diamond which would help hide the occlusion) but even then it was a tiny speck and I'm not confident I could see it. Nobody would ever know the occlusion existed on the diamond without magnification.

So in conclusion I would advise anyone in a similar situation to go ahead and purchase.

1618413176093.png

Shiny_Rock
Glad it turned out well
I wanted to follow up as you never know when it will be helpful to others searching for similar answers.

I went ahead and purchased this diamond from James Allen and I couldn't be happier. The dark crystal on the table (see image below at 40x magnification) is almost impossible to see with your eyes and the diamond is certainly eye-clean. Studying the diamond face-on and very close up I just can't see the occlusion at all. I might have seen the occlusion at a very strange sideward angle under a lamp (I guess this means there is no light reflecting back at you through the diamond which would help hide the occlusion) but even then it was a tiny speck and I'm not confident I could see it. Nobody would ever know the occlusion existed on the diamond without magnification.

So in conclusion I would advise anyone in a similar situation to go ahead and purchase.

1618413176093.png

Glad it turned out well for you! :)

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
I'm glad you went for it, and came back here to update! Beautiful diamond!

Weqrty

Rough_Rock
Thank you!

Just to close this off, I had another look today (I'm not the one usually wearing the ring!) and you can see the occlusion face-on in low light if you're looking for it up close. But definitely worth it in this case as the diamond sizes up so well for 1.2cts!

catcav

Rough_Rock

1618413176093.png

Thank you. This has been very reassuring to me. I just purchased a WF ACA 1.611 J VS2. I haven’t Received yet. The plot map shows one crystal right in the center of the table. I have been a little concerned that I’ll either see it or know that it’s there.

1618413176093.png

1618413176093.png

Thank you. I just purchased, but haven’t received yet, a diamond w a crystal in the table. It s eye clean but it has had me wonder if I’ll see it or “know” it’s there. Your post haa been very reassuring to me. https://www.whiteflash.com/pdf/104104841036.pdf

valenledge

Shiny_Rock
Thank you. This has been very reassuring to me. I just purchased a WF ACA 1.611 J VS2. I haven’t Received yet. The plot map shows one crystal right in the center of the table. I have been a little concerned that I’ll either see it or know that it’s there.

Thank you. I just purchased, but haven’t received yet, a diamond w a crystal in the table. It s eye clean but it has had me wonder if I’ll see it or “know” it’s there. Your post haa been very reassuring to me. https://www.whiteflash.com/pdf/104104841036.pdf
I just took a quick peek at your diamond (the brilliance videos are my favorite to find inclusions), and I’m 99.9% sure you won’t be able to see yours in many, if not all, conditions. Your crystal is the third grade-maker down, is very small, and is white! It’s possible, at the right angle, you could see the inclusion reflecting but honestly, it’s so small, I’d probably mistake it for the diamond cut.

I’m crossing my fingers for you that while you may know it’s there, it won’t distract you due to being able to see it! And in most lighting conditions, the excellent cut will totally mask it!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results