shape
carat
color
clarity

Dark color vs light color sapphire

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gamze

Rough_Rock
Hi there, recently I found a really good looking 14c sapphire w/diamond ring however the color of sapphire is pretty dark, as if it is black. I read some articles but still couldn''t decide or know which one is preferable and why? The carat is 2.3/8.

Any information will be highly appreciated.

Thanks.
16.gif

Hest88

Ideal_Rock

Gamze

Rough_Rock
Thank you very much, I wanted to have it for anniversary but don''t want to jump on something just because I love the setting. The retail price is $2000 but after card membership, annual clearance etc. the price will drop to $1100 with 14 K and some small diamonds. So what do you think?

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Hmmm. I think that would be a hard one to price sight unseen. It all depends on the stone...how well is it cut? Is it treated or untreated? How dark is it? What is it''s origin? Do you think the ring is worth the money?

Gamze

Rough_Rock
Well, the more I read about the stones - which I had no clue, still no clue - I am afraid it will be too much especially they can not tell the origin or give a cerficite. He told me that it is a real one - but hey just read many treatment ways, it sounds high for an unknown sapphire.
20.gif

bar01

Brilliant_Rock

At that price level, do not concern yourself with treatment, origin, certificates, or other stuff –as long as it is not synthetic.

Do you like "inky" blue (near black)?

Is the ring pleasant to you?

Gamze

Rough_Rock
21.gif
I loved the ring and it is from Macys and he told me that it is natural. Yes, it was ''''inky'''' (so true definition) and I kindda liked it.
But confused after all the things I read so far. So you think it is a good price? Wow, I begin to get excited again!
19.gif

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The finial judge is always if YOU like it. The color well set the price, but everones likes are not the same.
Look at the stone in different lighting too, sometimes in the bright store lights you will nice blue flashes, but then once you get it home or in an office, the stone will just look black.

nicky newark

Rough_Rock
They use commercial quality stones. Natural sapphire can sell for a few dollars per ct. in this quality. I clarity accent diamonds less than $100/ct. You can do much better.

bar01

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/19/2006 4:37:27 PM
Author: Gamze
21.gif
I loved the ring and it is from Macys and he told me that it is natural. Yes, it was 'inky' (so true definition) and I kindda liked it.

But confused after all the things I read so far. So you think it is a good price? Wow, I begin to get excited again!
19.gif
\\

I am no appraiser - but let me take a WAG - and I mean WILD... lets say the 2ct + dark sapphire is worth ummm... $450..the diamonds (how big/many?) ...ummm.... another $200???, then the setting it self.. ummm..... $150????. So (WAG again) the ring is worth $800 and you pay $1100. You might (WAG again) have over paid by 300 bucks (37% markup) or so on this "sale". If you really like this ring and the color of the sapphire, then I don't think this should stop you...from having a ring you will love for many many years.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, why not.,.. if you like it. Sure enough, sapphires are way more desirable blue than black. But if you wanted a huge (14cts!?) black stone on your finger, why not. Black gems seem to be fashionable.

There's also black spinel, and although huge gems are not particularly easy to find, you could probably have a comparably large one for a couple hundreds. Same goes for black sapphire - most of the price is for the cutting. With the ring you describe, you will be paying for the setting, mostly.

Does anyone remember This Shop ? They carry both dark blue sapphire and black spinel, and either material can be custom cut on order (as long as there is suitable rough). You may find the price comparison useful.

Hope the 2c help.

crafftygrrl

Shiny_Rock
My first advice is buy what you LOVE.

However, I don''t think stores like Macy''s ever really gives you great value, even with their sales and discounts. Their quality is also not what you can get elsewhere if you shop around. A good independant jeweler can give you better quality for the same money. Another added value is if you need to have the ring repaired or examined for any reason, your jeweler will know the ring.

You should shop around, have fun, look at many choices, then buy what you want.

Personally I like medium blue sapphires. The Ceylon stones have alot more "life" and sparkle than the darker goods. A few months ago, I finally got my dream RHR (7.64 ceylon sapphire / 1.87 diamond). There is a thread on this. I had been literally looking for this for about 5-6 years. Every day, I look on my hand and think I have the nicest ring in the world on my finger.

I hope you feel the same way about the ring you eventually purchase.

Good Luck!

diamondsrock

Brilliant_Rock
I think if you looked around you''d find the lighter color or medium color sapphires more attractive, unless you are indeed looking for a black stone. To me a sapphire that is nearly black defeats the purpose of being a sapphire which should be a lively blue. Just my two cents! It might be worth your while to look around some more, especially local jewelers. I always try to educate myself as much as possible before making any purchases. Chances are if it looks black under jewelery store lights it will look black everywhere else since those lights ususally make jewelry look their best.

lucious librarian

Rough_Rock
I love the lighter colored sapphires. My guy got me a beautiful 2.41 Ceylon stone that is almost transluscent blue. Because of the clarity in color, I can see all of the facets cut into the stone. It really comes down to personal preference.

Peace
1.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Everything is based on personal taste (just like some people like warmer colored diamonds). I love the contrast of medium-dark blue sapphires with diamonds. It is beautiful. I agree with the other posters, if you love it, buy it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results