shape
carat
color
clarity

Dance Class & Losing Weight

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bubbly1126

Brilliant_Rock
I signed up for a Jazz Dance class with some co-workers and it starts this week. I am wondering how much weight you''ll think I''ll lose? Or how toned up I''ll get?

Over the last 2 years I''ve put on about 20 pounds. Mostly in my thighs (a big problem area w/ women in my family) and then some in my stomach area and arms. I used to be a size 1, sometimes a size 0 and now I''m about a 5 and I am only 5''2. So, you see, my weight gain really tends to show. (I put on all this weight b/c I wasn''t working for a while b/c of health issues and wasn''t really active.)

I know I''ll probably never get back down to the size I used to be but I really want to lose some of the weight and get more toned.

My class is an hour long 4 times a month for about a year. Then you have to add in all the practice time I''ll be doing on my own because I really want to give my all and give myself a good workout.

I was supposed to join the gym and start going with my FF''s mother but when my co-workers presented this opportunity to me, I just couldn''t pass it up as I''ve always wanted to take a dance class. So I passed on the gym and I''m just wondering if I''d see better results if I joined the gym instead? I just want to do whatever is going to give me the best results.

Any ideas/advice?

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
Honestly, I don''t think you will lose very much. Have you taken dance or jazz classes before? If not, then you won''t be doing very advanced or fast choreography. You may be more toned and lose a couple of pounds but I don''t think you''ll see any dramatic results. I was able to keep my weight off with dancing but I danced 5+ days per week and did mostly ballet combined with a little jazz. One thing I remember is our jazz teachers would have us do some leg lifts and crunches and that sort of thing for about 30 minutes each class so that would definitely help if your teacher does that.

Good luck and have fun!

bubbly1126

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for your response, oobiecoo.

Do you think I''d be better off just joining the gym and going a few times a week?

Unfortunately, I can''t do both b/c of the cost. But the gym membership alone will cost me half the price of the dance class. So what do you think my best bet is?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/30/2008 3:57:09 PM
Author: inhisarms17
Thanks for your response, oobiecoo.

Do you think I''d be better off just joining the gym and going a few times a week?

Unfortunately, I can''t do both b/c of the cost. But the gym membership alone will cost me half the price of the dance class. So what do you think my best bet is?

Depends on how often you do either and the intensity. Both could be very effective or not at all. But 4x a month is not going to make a huge impact, so if you think you''d use the gym membership more that might be a better option.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I used to do jazz and ballet--I spent about 6+ hours per week doing both through college. I toned up in the gym outside of class because class itself wasn''t enough to keep me very toned. As oobie pointed out, unless you are in advanced classes and dong very fast-paced choreography, you probably won''t be burning too many calories.

I tend to think that the gym membership would do you more good, but only if you use it. I had dual memberships at a regular gym and my rock climbing gym for a bit, but never spent any time at the regular gym because it''s not fun. It sounds like you''re looking for a fun alternative to the gym, which I completely understand. I think incorporating dance is a great way to achieve that, but you''d probably have to do it through a jazzercise-type of class that meets at least a few times a week.

Good luck!

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
I think you should probably find a jazzercise class or sign up at a gym where they also teach classes like belly dancing and that kind of thing. You''ll get the best of both worlds!

We have a membership to the city recreation center which is much cheaper than a regular gym and they offer special classes for a small additional fee. They also have a pool which is good for toning... most gyms don''t have that as far as I''ve seen.

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/30/2008 4:23:04 PM
Author: NewEnglandLady
I used to do jazz and ballet--I spent about 6+ hours per week doing both through college. I toned up in the gym outside of class because class itself wasn''t enough to keep me very toned. As oobie pointed out, unless you are in advanced classes and dong very fast-paced choreography, you probably won''t be burning too many calories.

I tend to think that the gym membership would do you more good, but only if you use it. I had dual memberships at a regular gym and my rock climbing gym for a bit, but never spent any time at the regular gym because it''s not fun. It sounds like you''re looking for a fun alternative to the gym, which I completely understand. I think incorporating dance is a great way to achieve that, but you''d probably have to do it through a jazzercise-type of class that meets at least a few times a week.

Good luck!

Ditto, ex hardcore dancer here. I used to do about 6-7 hours a week too but I only did ballet. That is basically how I stayed toned up and get my weight healthy all through high school and part of college. Something to consider is maybe taking a couple of different beginner classes each week. You could do one of jazz, one of ballet, one of hip hop or tap, modern is also very good for building up muscles (at least it was for me) something to think about! I''m considering going to find dance classes to get back into the swing of it soon too, unfortunately not having a job makes that a bit of a problem so i do the new york city ballet dvd in the mean time along with working out at the gym :)

Nocturnius

Shiny_Rock
I was a dancer for 17 years (flat ballet and pointe) and I was studying between 28 and 35 hours a week (four to five hours of intensive training and dancing per night.) And trust me, even at THAT level, you have to work VERY HARD to keep tone, and you still have to weight train and cardio train on top of that. (I swam four days a week for an hour and the other days I lifted weights.)

I observed a college jazz class and also one sponsored by my local gym, and this was what I saw personally:

It would be good for people who are REALLY out of shape; by which I mean, the people who are out of breath just from a stroll down the street. It''s good for people who need to get a jump start, but who aren''t healthy enough yet to start in the gym. But for actually trying to seriously build tone or lose weight... no, not really.

Dance classes like that are better for boosting your confidence and making you feel better about yourself than for losing weight. So if you''ll actually go to the gym, choose that over the dance class.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Ditto all the others - another former serious dancer here (about 28-40 hrs/week of ballet, jazz, modern, hip-hop, etc.. plus rehearsals).

One thing I will also say in terms of weight loss is, its really 85-90% diet. So unless you track what you are eating and make sure you don''t start eating more once you start the classes, the exercise will likely not make any difference in your weight.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
I think if you're really serious about getting good results as quickly as possible, you can't go past the 'pump' weightlifting group classes for women. It is a bit like aerobics weightlifting for women, and it is absolutely FANTASTIC for seeing results. Within a six month period, you will be more trim, toned and terrific than you ever thought possible. but you will be seeing improvements from class to class months before that!

If you put as much weight on your bar as possible, you will work so hard within that hour, and you will really speed your results. You are very unlikely to bulk up, but you will trim down at a rate of knots.

However, the dance class sounds like fun, and it'll improve your co-ordination. It would also be a fantastic foil for the weight training, as it is good to have stretching classes seperately from the weight classes anyway..
Any chance you could do both?

Pump three times a week is absolutely plenty. Or even twice a week will still get you good results.

To be super determined, you could jump on the stairmaster or even have a brisk walk/ light jog/ bicycle after the class, and burn up some extra fat! (last thing you'll feel like doing) but those extra 10-15 minutes at the end of the pump class on the jogging machine will have SERIOUS impact!

bubbly1126

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for your responses, ladies! After a while of thinking about it, I've decided to drop the jazz class and sign up with the gym. (I just can't do both, unfortunately.)

I've met with a personal trainer and plan to do weight training Mon-Wed-Fri and then Cardio Tue-Thur-Sat and then take Sunday off. So far I am loving it because FF's mom goes with me and it's always nice to have company. However, I'm not banking on her going all the time b/c I know her and I know after a couple weeks, her daily trips to the gym are going to dwindle down to 5, 4, 3, 2, and then lastly, 1. That's sad to say but I've known her for 6+ years so therefore, I know how she is with these things! It's already so hard to motivate her to go! Sometimes it's hard enough to motivate myself, you know? I don't want to have to worry about trying to get her to go and then getting frustrated.

Anyway, I'm excited and hopefully by April/May (hopefully April since the proposal is supposed to happen then) I'll have lost weight and/or gotten much more toned!

Wish me luck ladies! And be sure to check back and make sure I'm still motivated! Haha!

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Sounds like you have a great strategy for getting toned up!

Definitely don''t neglect the diet part of it though - even just recording what you eat can make a huge difference, and it would be a shame to see all that hard work you''ll be doing in the gym go to waste if you can''t see all that wonderful toning
2.gif

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Wow! That weight is going to DROP off you! and with a personal trainer, it will be SOOO much easier to motivate!!
Make sure you have a good week''s supply of gym clothes, down to the underwear, so you''re always ready to go! And your gym bag just there, packed and waiting, down to the water bottle!

I''ve always found the biggest issue was getting out the front door in time - as soon as you''re in the car, driving to the gym, the rest of the session just seems to unfold regardless of your mood or whatever else is happening in your life at the time!

Can you tell I really miss the gym? Alas, I''m not the type to train while preggos!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/12/2008 6:53:00 PM
Author: AmberGretchen
Ditto all the others - another former serious dancer here (about 28-40 hrs/week of ballet, jazz, modern, hip-hop, etc.. plus rehearsals).

One thing I will also say in terms of weight loss is, its really 85-90% diet. So unless you track what you are eating and make sure you don''t start eating more once you start the classes, the exercise will likely not make any difference in your weight.
I wholeheartedly agree with this!!! Eating is key and working out helps and a combo of both is great. You are welcome to join our Healthy Lifestyle Thread!

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
6 days a week working out is a lot if you are really pushing yourself. Be careful that you aren''t over training. I always know when I get to that point because I retain a lot more water and I stop noticing changes. I think you''ll be ok if you are only working out for an hour 5 days a week but if you start doing more than that you are going to put a ton of stress on your body. I wish I had known that 4 years ago when I trained for a marathon while working out with my trainer for an hour 4 days a week.

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
Oh, I fogot to add that the diet thing is right on. However, start with some small changes and you will be better off in the long run.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sounds like you have a great plan, Inhisarms. I just wanted to echo the "DON''T OVERTRAIN" sentiment. I was a PT for a while, and it was scary how so many trainers allowed their clients to overtrain.

And if your gym offers classes, I would try them each out at least once and find a few that you love. Classes at the gym (or even great at-home videos) have always been the second-best way for me to firm up; playing sports was always the best, of course. I taught group ex for years and saw some amazing results.

If you don''t like your gym''s group ex classes, I lost all of my freshman college weight doing Tae Bo with friends. Any tape that challenges you that you enjoy will help, too.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results