shape
carat
color
clarity

Daimond Quality...advice...Ideal vs. 60/60

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

macadamia

Rough_Rock
I''m looking at two diamonds. I''d like your advice as which may be better or are the pretty much the same. One is an Ideal Cut and the other is a 60/60 cut. Here are the specs...

Diamond 1:

GIA certified

Color Grade: G
Clarity Grade: VS2
Cut Grade: Excellent
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Fluorescence: None
Table: 60%
Depth: 60%
Crown Angle: 33.5%
Pavilion Angle: 41.0%

I also put those numbers into the Halloway Cut Advisor (HCA) and got: 1.7 Excellent with Light Return: Excellent
Fire: Very Good
Scintillation: Very Good
Spread (or diameter for weight): Excellent

Hearts and Arrows looked very clean as well.

Diamond #2:

Color Grade: F
Cut Grade: AGS 0 Ideal
Polish: GIA Excellent
Symmetry: GIA Excellent
Table: 57.2%
Depth: 61.1%
Crown Angle: 34.50%
Pavilion Angle: 40.67%

I also put those numbers into the Halloway Cut Advisor (HCA) and got: 1.1 Excellent with
Light Return: Excellent
Fire: Excellent
Scintillation: Excellent
Spread (or diameter for weight): Very Good

What are your opinions on both diamonds? Pros/Cons? Also, when jewelers tell you about warranties on diamonds and replacing them, how good are these warranties in general compared to insuring the diamond on your own? One of the diamonds is from a jeweler and the other is from goodoldgold.com.

Thanks for the advice.

-Stephen

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/21/2010 3:48:54 AM
Author:macadamia
I''m looking at two diamonds. I''d like your advice as which may be better or are the pretty much the same. One is an Ideal Cut and the other is a 60/60 cut. Here are the specs...

Diamond 1:

GIA certified

I also put those numbers into the Halloway Cut Advisor (HCA) and got: 1.7 Excellent with Light Return: Excellent

Diamond #2:

I also put those numbers into the Halloway Cut Advisor (HCA) and got: 1.1 Excellent with

What are your opinions on both diamonds? Pros/Cons? Also, when jewelers tell you about warranties on diamonds and replacing them, how good are these warranties in general compared to insuring the diamond on your own? One of the diamonds is from a jeweler and the other is from goodoldgold.com.

Thanks for the advice.

-Stephen
Hi Stephen and welcome!

They both look good so it could be a matter of taste etc, but personally I prefer the proportions of the GOG diamond, as it is h&a can you post the images here please?

The first might show a h&a pattern but without images of both h&a we have no way of evaluating the precision of the patterning.

Warranties - GOG offer various policies on some of their stones, see which are applicable in your case. As to warranties from brick and mortar stores, some find they prefer to separately insure the stone. Any good jeweller can provide routine maintenance such as checking and tightening prongs, cleanings and so on.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
ditto.

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/21/2010 3:48:54 AM
Author:macadamia

Diamond 1:

GIA certified

Diamond #2:

Thanks for the advice.

-Stephen
Post the Idealscope, Hearts, and the Arrows Images of the 60/60 and we can tell you more.

macadamia

Rough_Rock
unfortunately I don''t have a picture of the ideal scope or h&a for the 60/60 diamond. I do from the diamond from gog but their website is down so I''m unable to get to it. Which poses another question...is gog a good online dealer? They seem to give the most info of any site I''ve visited, but they also seem to have problems on their website...

so without seeing the ideal scope or h&a of both diamonds, is there anyway to tell if one diamond is superior to the other or does it become more of a preference at this point? I read all over the forum about differing opinions of 60/60 cut diamonds, but it seems I found one that could be a good one, I just don''t know enough about them to say. The 60/60 is a newer cut to the store I found it at. It is in their new line called "Fire and Ice" and they said that the cut gives off more clear light but less of the color (rainbow) light.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
GOG is a very reputable vendor and many of us have purchased from them (including me). Their website problems just started occuring recently and I wouldn''t let that deter you.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/21/2010 12:16:45 PM
Author: macadamia
unfortunately I don''t have a picture of the ideal scope or h&a for the 60/60 diamond. I do from the diamond from gog but their website is down so I''m unable to get to it. Which poses another question...is gog a good online dealer? They seem to give the most info of any site I''ve visited, but they also seem to have problems on their website...

so without seeing the ideal scope or h&a of both diamonds, is there anyway to tell if one diamond is superior to the other or does it become more of a preference at this point? I read all over the forum about differing opinions of 60/60 cut diamonds, but it seems I found one that could be a good one, I just don''t know enough about them to say. The 60/60 is a newer cut to the store I found it at. It is in their new line called ''Fire and Ice'' and they said that the cut gives off more clear light but less of the color (rainbow) light.
Thats as I suspected, normally that is the case that brick and mortar jewellery stores can''t provide h&a images, I take it you viewed the pattering using a h&a viewer?

GOG has been having some problems recently with their website so as Charmy says, don''t let that deter you, I am sure they will be up and running again soon, plus they are reachable by phone.

Without having images and if having a '' true'' h&a matters to you then we can''t tell which is in fact superior but if I had to take a choice between the two, as I am familiar with GOG''s standards, then I would tend personally to feel more comfortable with their diamond.

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock

so without seeing the ideal scope or h&a of both diamonds, is there anyway to tell if one diamond is superior to the other or does it become more of a preference at this point? I read all over the forum about differing opinions of 60/60 cut diamonds, but it seems I found one that could be a good one, I just don''t know enough about them to say. The 60/60 is a newer cut to the store I found it at. It is in their new line called ''Fire and Ice'' and they said that the cut gives off more clear light but less of the color (rainbow) light.
You could buy yourself and idealscope ($25) and look at it, this would tell us about its symmetry and if it has any leakage https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/60-60-proportioned-diamond/.

Looking at it through an HA viewer isn''t going to help you much unless you can read and apply this http://journal.pricescope.com/Articles/65/1/Hearts-and-Arrows-Diamonds-and-The-Basics-of-Diamond-Cutting.aspx and even then symmetry does not dictate light return.

Which vendor offers this ''Fire and Ice'' line?

It is true 60/60 diamonds can give you more brilliance(white light) and spread at the expense of dispersion and fire (colored) light. You will also often find the arrows are going to be thinner in well cut 60/60 than in one with more depth and a smaller table, some people like these more splintery arrows, others prefer thicker ones with more contrast.

Assuming that its a well cut (which it may not be) you will still have to decide which look pleases you more. I would suggest taking a look at many round diamonds on the GOG website, look at the pictures and videos and decide which appearance you like better. This is a great video which also shows you the many looks of a round brilliant upon changing the LGF size and this change has a much greater impact than table or depth on the appearance.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/21/2010 12:29:06 PM
Author: Lorelei

unfortunately I don't have a picture of the ideal scope or h&a for the 60/60 diamond. I do from the diamond from gog but their website is down so I'm unable to get to it. Which poses another question...is gog a good online dealer? They seem to give the most info of any site I've visited, but they also seem to have problems on their website...

so without seeing the ideal scope or h&a of both diamonds, is there anyway to tell if one diamond is superior to the other or does it become more of a preference at this point? I read all over the forum about differing opinions of 60/60 cut diamonds, but it seems I found one that could be a good one, I just don't know enough about them to say. The 60/60 is a newer cut to the store I found it at. It is in their new line called 'Fire and Ice' and they said that the cut gives off more clear light but less of the color (rainbow) light.
I have been doing some research on this brand is this it Macadamia?

Fire and Ice Diamonds

It is possible that if these stones are normally of 60 60 type that they might have a tendency to show more in the way of white light but we would need more examples in order to get a feel for their overall proportion configurations.

And yes, GOG are completely reputable with a sterling reputation here, you will be in very safe hands. They are having problems with their website as you know currently but their site normally runs very smoothly.

What I would do if you are unsure which stone to go for, if you have a Jareds nearby go and view some of their AGS0 Peerless brand which will have similar table sizes and cut quality to the GOG stone, that will give you a point of comparison.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/21/2010 2:28:31 PM
Author: Lorelei

What I would do if you are unsure which stone to go for, if you have a Jareds nearby go and view some of their AGS0 Peerless brand which will have similar table sizes and cut quality to the GOG stone, that will give you a point of comparison.
This is avery good suggestion! Or perhaps the local jewler who has the 60/60 stone has an AGS) diamond to compare? Doesn''t have to match color or size or clarity really, just cut quality.

And ditto others about GOG. I would buy from them without hesitation, the website issues have only been the last week or so and are very unfortunate!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results