shape
carat
color
clarity

CVD diamond patents legal action

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have been waiting for De Beers to do this. But a US company got in first!

One of the complaints targets Pure Grown Diamonds (PGD) and IIa Technologies, which produces CVD goods for PGD. A second filing is against Mahendra Brothers, a De Beers sightholder, and its affiliate, Fenix Diamonds. The third suit takes aim at Altr, another lab-grown supplier, and its owner, R.A. Riam.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Well, cost of litigation may keep synthetic prices from falling as fast as they otherwise would!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the link, Garry :)

I didn't realise there was different versions of CVD!

Carnegie invented and patented a version of CVD, known as microwave-plasma CVD (MPCVD), that can create a purer diamond because it doesn’t involve electrodes, which often contaminate the product, according to the lawsuits. It also patented a method for enhancing a stone’s visual characteristics through heat treatment at high pressure and temperature. M7D holds the license to both patents, the three similar lawsuits continued.]/quote]

That also seems to be saying Carnegie invented the use of HPHT after CVD growth?

I'm wondering if suing will have an effect in the long-term - if companies in China are ignoring copyright, it seems very hard to actually enforce action against them, despite the Chinese government apparently cracking down (a bit? lol) on such things. IIRC BMW attempted to sue one of the Chinese car makers who produce what is pretty much an identical vehicle to the X5, but China went "Hmmm.... Nah." :lol:

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade

That also seems to be saying Carnegie invented the use of HPHT after CVD growth?

I'm wondering if suing will have an effect in the long-term - if companies in China are ignoring copyright, it seems very hard to actually enforce action against them, despite the Chinese government apparently cracking down (a bit? lol) on such things. IIRC BMW attempted to sue one of the Chinese car makers who produce what is pretty much an identical vehicle to the X5, but China went "Hmmm.... Nah." :lol:

Notwithstanding my somewhat facetious statement earlier, it will be expensive and difficult to enforce some of these patents, especially as you point out, in a market where production is likely to ramp up in a big way. If enforcement is not successful, production volume will increase and costs will fall even more rapidly.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

There are many different kinds and variations.
3 major groups differ on how they vaporize the material to be deposited.

Laser - very expensive, very finicky and power and cooling hungry. Cleanest deposits are possible.

Microwave - mid range cost and the cheapest way to create fairly clean material to lay down. Mid range power usage.

Electric arc - cheapest but very dirty as it produces carbon dust and other particles so not suitable for making gem grade diamonds.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results