carat
color
clarity

CVB CAD/Rendering Feedback for OMC Stone

acv123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hi Everyone! Long time no see :)

I've been working with CVB and have some renderings to share that I'm very happy with! I wanted a 6-8 prong basket-style setting with channel set french cuts on the shoulders. These were some of my (many/different!) inspiration images.

front french cuts  (1).jpg 1294_1.jpg 9d7d43e9391e7fdf021af3205ee0dcaf.jpg 474cc50e52b5a17e8f40a537c355139d.jpg HeartDiamondRing3_large.jpg

and here's my stone. a 2.5ish ct OP VS1 that measures 8.26 x 8.09mm
IMG_4134.jpg

and finally here are the renderings I have.
Image-40.jpg Image-41.jpg Image-42.jpg Image-43.jpg

I love it! Anything your eagle eye spots that I should be on the lookout for? Should the donut be round? The shoulder is 2.5mm wide where it meets the prongs and tapers down. Is that wide enough?
Here's the stone on a 2.5mm band for reference. I have shortish fingers which is the only reason I ask!
IMG_4211 3.jpg

Thank you so much for any input, so exciting! This is my first ever custom project so anything you guys can add would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• 147ce769ed0f74d9a14616aae52cd14a.jpg
    147ce769ed0f74d9a14616aae52cd14a.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 6

acv123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
bump bump! Hoping to respond to CVB soon!:dance:

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a beautiful ring and I don't know about donut holes per se, but since your stone is a cushion shouldn't the hole be rectangular?

Are you having it made in two different golds? the band looks like it's 2 different types? (maybe 14 and 18K gold?)

it's gonna be bitchin'

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your stone is gorgeous! I think with the prong orientation it makes your stone look more round. Was that your intention? The inspiration rings have the prongs positioned to enhance the cushiony shape of the stones. Pretty ring!

KiloSierra

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Oh it’s gorgeous!! I love that buttery gold!

I would do a rectangular donut to mimic your stone’s shape vs. a round one.

That basket is lovely and your stone is a fireball!!

KiloSierra

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Also adding I love your nail polish!

KiloSierra

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Your stone is gorgeous! I think with the prong orientation it makes your stone look more round. Was that your intention? The inspiration rings have the prongs positioned to enhance the cushiony shape of the stones. Pretty ring!

Oh my gosh, I didn’t even notice this! Good eye @Bonfire!

I was in assumption that it was orientated and pronged in a similar style to the first inspiration photo!!

I would want to accent the cushiony pillow shape, BUT if you want to have a more rounded appearance, the 6 prong definitely rounds it out! I would go for a round donut if that was your intent. :)

Sorry I was so excited to comment re: that beautiful side profile!

acv123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
It's a beautiful ring and I don't know about donut holes per se, but since your stone is a cushion shouldn't the hole be rectangular?

Are you having it made in two different golds? the band looks like it's 2 different types? (maybe 14 and 18K gold?)

it's gonna be bitchin'

haha, thank you! Yeah I think the rectangle looks good just curious if I was missing something but I think it makes sense to echo the shape of the stone. It's going to be all 14k gold.

acv123

Shiny_Rock
Premium

Thank you!

Hmm i hadn't thought about that. I think I'm ok with it look more round-ish. The original setting for the stone had 8 prongs with the top and bottom ones in approximately the same position as the rendering and I liked it. It wasn't possible to do 8 prongs with this setting because of where the band meets the basket. My stone is more cushiony than the one in the rendering so hopefully some of that will still come through.

acv123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Oh my gosh, I didn’t even notice this! Good eye @Bonfire!

I was in assumption that it was orientated and pronged in a similar style to the first inspiration photo!!

I would want to accent the cushiony pillow shape, BUT if you want to have a more rounded appearance, the 6 prong definitely rounds it out! I would go for a round donut if that was your intent. :)

Sorry I was so excited to comment re: that beautiful side profile!

hi @KiloSierra Thank you for all the nice words, i love my stone and I've definitely missed it while its been away. I'd originally wanted 8 prongs but I think with the amount of metal around the bottom of the stone it may have been too much and this way a little bit more light will reach the stone I think? That first inspiration photo is a photoshop/frankenstein ring, I wasn't able to find any that had channel set stones and 8 prongs, so I wonder if it really just can't be done.

My stone is more cushion shaped than the one in the rendering so i think it will seem more cushiony in real life. Also the prongs are going to be smaller than in the rendering if that makes any difference.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you want it to appear as a cushion, I'd have single or double prongs at the corners. Or like the very first ring you posted with 8 prongs, two on each side. The way you are setting it, it will be more like a round stone that is out-of-round. But Caysie's CADs are always fantastic. I just wouldn't personally do a 6 prong on a cushion.

I see your last response now. It maybe will look more cushiony than the CAD image. I could visualize it better if it was a cushion, but it looks more like a round that is out-of-round in the CAD.

KiloSierra

Shiny_Rock
Premium
hi @KiloSierra Thank you for all the nice words, i love my stone and I've definitely missed it while its been away. I'd originally wanted 8 prongs but I think with the amount of metal around the bottom of the stone it may have been too much and this way a little bit more light will reach the stone I think? That first inspiration photo is a photoshop/frankenstein ring, I wasn't able to find any that had channel set stones and 8 prongs, so I wonder if it really just can't be done.

My stone is more cushion shaped than the one in the rendering so i think it will seem more cushiony in real life. Also the prongs are going to be smaller than in the rendering if that makes any difference.

Ok I see what you mean now! Frankenring is gorgeous. Lol!

I know Caysie can make her prongs and stems (?) super delicate and I wonder if the light blockage wouldn’t even be a factor with the 8 prongs? I really think that orientation lends well to your big cushion, but that’s just my .02! Any way you go it will be beautiful!

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Given the dimensions of your stone I think it will definitely look more round set this way. If you are fine with that great! If you want to play up the cushiony look of your stone, these prong positions won’t accomplish that look. It all depends on the look you want. Either way it will be beautiful! :love:

acv123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Ok I see what you mean now! Frankenring is gorgeous. Lol!

I know Caysie can make her prongs and stems (?) super delicate and I wonder if the light blockage wouldn’t even be a factor with the 8 prongs? I really think that orientation lends well to your big cushion, but that’s just my .02! Any way you go it will be beautiful!

I do like the idea of the 8 prongs but I can't envision where they would all go if they can't go on the sides where the band is. any ideas? would it be 4 on top and 4 on bottom? so at 1, 2, 10 and 11 (on a clock face for example)...

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Notice the prong positions on the ring in the 4th photo. That orientation gives a more cushiony look.

acv123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Notice the prong positions on the ring in the 4th photo. That orientation gives a more cushiony look.

yes, always loved that setting and look, if you look at the profile of my rendering do you think another pring would fit in there? There's already a lot of metal with the swoops.

acv123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
If you want it to appear as a cushion, I'd have single or double prongs at the corners. Or like the very first ring you posted with 8 prongs, two on each side. The way you are setting it, it will be more like a round stone that is out-of-round. But Caysie's CADs are always fantastic. I just wouldn't personally do a 6 prong on a cushion.

I see your last response now. It maybe will look more cushiony than the CAD image. I could visualize it better if it was a cushion, but it looks more like a round that is out-of-round in the CAD.

I'm going to try to draw it out with 8 prongs instead of 6 without having to add another prong to the north and south sides of the stone. I see what you mean by out of round..

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
yes, always loved that setting and look, if you look at the profile of my rendering do you think another pring would fit in there? There's already a lot of metal with the swoops.
That is something Caysie could definitely modify if you choose to go with that style

KiloSierra

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I would have the prongs brought closer to the shank

KiloSierra

Shiny_Rock
Premium
16E97998-6DD1-44BA-993E-AA357129FD16.jpeg
I would have the prongs brought closer to the shank

Ugh. Posted too soon!

Here’s my mock-up - the red dots would be the new prongs...

acv123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
16E97998-6DD1-44BA-993E-AA357129FD16.jpeg

Ugh. Posted too soon!

Here’s my mock-up - the red dots would be the new prongs...

ohhh i see. that way the prongs could still nestle up to the band to the north and south of the band.

Here's what I was thinking-- a sort of half prong attached to the gallery rail. Not as elegant of a solution as yours ;-) Hopefully these pics aren't too small.

IMG_8411.JPG

IMG_8412.JPG

KiloSierra

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I feel like those prongs on the 9 and 3 o’clock position won’t flow well and would look like an afterthought?

Also, the scalloped prong bridge would still be do-able if you went with my super technical and artistic iPhone paint app photo. :lol:

But really tho, you could still to that similar gallery area and have the shoulders meet the stone in one fluid seam.

acv123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I feel like those prongs on the 9 and 3 o’clock position won’t flow well and would look like an afterthought?

Also, the scalloped prong bridge would still be do-able if you went with my super technical and artistic iPhone paint app photo. :lol:

But really tho, you could still to that similar gallery area and have the shoulders meet the stone in one fluid seam.

yes, I think your mock up makes way more sense. I'm going to look into weather it can be done. Thanks for drawing that up!

KiloSierra

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Glad I could help! Your ring will be beautiful! Come back with more pics! :))

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chiming in to say that I think if you want to accentuate that lovely cushiony shape, the prongs that start on either edge of the shank like photo 4 do a better job of that than the ones that are at 12, 3, 6, 9 since those help round the stone out visually. Plus the half prong is a bit clunky with those graceful swoops.
Also, I'm so excited to see your final setting - I remember your thread when you showed off this fantastic find and have wondered since how you were setting it.

acv123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Glad I could help! Your ring will be beautiful! Come back with more pics! :))

thanks again! I made some inquiries and it looks like its going to have to be 6 prongs because in the current design the prongs are aligned with the crown facets and they would be misaligned if there were 8. I assume this is safer for the stone?

I love the design still and will definitely come back with pictures!

acv123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Chiming in to say that I think if you want to accentuate that lovely cushiony shape, the prongs that start on either edge of the shank like photo 4 do a better job of that than the ones that are at 12, 3, 6, 9 since those help round the stone out visually. Plus the half prong is a bit clunky with those graceful swoops.
Also, I'm so excited to see your final setting - I remember your thread when you showed off this fantastic find and have wondered since how you were setting it.

Hi @foxinsox!
I agree if I were to go with 8, the arrangement in photo 4 would be the way to go! Going to have to stick with 6 since as they are designed now they line up with the crown facets which I didn't understand or realize at first. This is all a learning experience! My stones pretty cushiony so hopefully that comes through. I never did figure out what the difference is between an old mine and an antique cushion :razz: but mine is definitely in the cushion end of the spectrum in terms of its outline.

and thanks for keeping up with this project/journey :) I'm very excited to eventually see the ring and will post pictures of course!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well that makes perfect sense. I think it’s going to look amazing - the YG is so buttery and rich :lickout:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks very 80s right now. I don’t think that’s necessarily what you’re going for. I do think adding more prongs will help. Not sure what would help the sides look less 80s

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results