shape
carat
color
clarity

Cuts: Very Good VS Ideal

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lilylover

Shiny_Rock
I was looking at RB diamonds on the James Allen website tonight. I narrowed my search to show only diamonds with the H&A cut and the Ideal cut. I noticed something interesting. Whenever I would look at the GIA report of a diamond that James Allen called "Ideal", the report specificially said that the cut grade was "Very Good."

Am I missing something here? I thought that ideal was better than very good, and that they were 2 different things.

Am I wrong? If someone could offer an explanation that would be fantastic!

Thank you!

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Can you post the links?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/4/2009 1:08:21 AM
Author:lilylover
I was looking at RB diamonds on the James Allen website tonight. I narrowed my search to show only diamonds with the H&A cut and the Ideal cut. I noticed something interesting. Whenever I would look at the GIA report of a diamond that James Allen called 'Ideal', the report specificially said that the cut grade was 'Very Good.'

Am I missing something here? I thought that ideal was better than very good, and that they were 2 different things.

Am I wrong? If someone could offer an explanation that would be fantastic!

Thank you!

Many vendors use labels such as Ideal Cut, Premium Cut etc to describe some of their diamonds, this is why you can see " Ideal Cut" used by a vendor to describe a GIA Very Good as above. This is no guarantee of a well cut rock. The only meaningful use of the term ideal cut pertains to AGS 0 Ideal cut grade, otherwise the use of this term is questionable. A vendor can describe a diamond any way they wish - but again no guarantee of a certain level of cut quality or beauty.

GIA's highest cut grade level is Excellent, they do not use the term ideal. Also GIA's cut grade criteria is somewhat broad and each diamond regardless of the GIA cut grade given needs evaluation on its own desirable visual and physical properties with ASET, Idealscope etc.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results