shape
carat
color
clarity

Cut rate??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

BELLA9280

Shiny_Rock
anyone ever purchase from cut rate.com

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I found an investment site, not a jeweler. What is the URL?

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
There are reasonably agreed sets of parameters for round diamonds today, but the site listed posts some highly liberal parameters for consumers when it comes to "fancy shape ideal cuts". Some dealers might wish it was so, but it isn''t. The price may be excellent, but I suggest you shop them against Pricescope to determine how it goes with any individual choice.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I’ve never worked with them but they look to be a perfectly good drop shipper. I searched a sample stone and found the same stone listed with half a dozen similar sources and all were within $50 of the same price point and I suspect all would have been willing to ‘price match’ with whoever it was that turned out to be lowest.

Given such similarities in both offering and prices, how do you proceed? The key is to choose a dealer who thinks and communicates the way that you do. Carefully read through the terms and policies, talk with them on the phone or by email and get a feel for their customer relationship skills. It’s also quite helpful to read through their educational and tutorial sections to get a feel for whether they are trying to help you to find the right thing (buying from them of course, salesmanship is not something to hold against them) or are they trying to pull something over on you. If you read through a bunch of these tutorials on different sites you’ll notice a lot of the material is basically the same but there are always a few subtle differences. What labs do they recommend and use, how do they cut grade fancy diamonds, how do they handle ‘appraisals’, etc. These are the items to study most carefully when you’re shopping for a dealer because they differ so much from one to the next. Sometimes there’s no real answer or there is a valid difference of opinion, sometimes you’re flat out wrong about what you were sure to be true, sometimes it’s just a mistake or miscommunication and sometimes there’s an intent to deceive. The difference is important. If you find a pattern of obfuscation or deception, move on to one of their competitors. They are numerous and many are reselling the exact same diamonds for the same prices. When you find that theirs is the site that you keep referring back or they have a person you keep wanting to contact as a benchmark for others to measure up to, you’ve found your dealer and they’ve earned your business. From there it’s usually pretty easy to find your stone. Ask 'em and then listen to their advice.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Jewelry Appraisals in Denver

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results