shape
carat
color
clarity

Cut question

cemrn

Brilliant_Rock
Do you have a favorite cut for gemstones and why? Does it differ from your fav colorless diamond cut?

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
Portuguese, sometimes called various flower names as well, is my favorite. It is fairly common in colored stones because it brings out color and makes it appear more even than other cuts would. It can be done on diamonds, but vary rarely is.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I LOVE emerald cut diamonds, I love the dramatic flash
30.gif
of an emerald cut as opposed to the sparkle of a round cut diamond.

I don''t like an emerald cut gem much, it doesn''t do much for me in that context, unless it''s an actual emerald.

I like a lot of different cuts for gemstones, because some stones (to me) are better suited to different cuts. I like zircon and demantoid in a round cut, to highlight the diamond-like sparkle. I like rubies in classic ovals, I like sapphires in big luxurious cushions, preferably surrounded by diamonds like the look of the Hope diamond. I would like to see an aquamarine in a portugese, or something that keeps me from looking through the stone. I love amethyst, peridot and citrine in bizarre experimental cuts, because I don''t generally like those cheaper stones unless someone does something to add value to the material.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I like Portuguese and Asscher cuts for colored stones and princess cuts for diamonds.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Supernova ovals for me. I never thought I''d like ovals but I''m totally drawn to that shape now. And cushions/elongated cushions. Brilliant emerald cuts also I notice my eye goes to.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like ovals for most colored gems. I think tanzanite looks great in trillions. I like lighter stones in EC. Darker stones like a garnet or traditional blue sapphire I like in round brilliant to brighten them up.

Rockit

Shiny_Rock
I like different cuts for different gems. There are so many wonderful custom cuts these days, it is fun to switch it up when I can afford to purchase something... Sometimes there is a logic to it, sometimes not. For what it is worth, I''m an RB and cushion fan in diamonds.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am primitive - RB serves perfectly well for me but in general, I would agree to any cut, if it looks nice. There are some jewelers that like the challenge of setting unusual cuts.

cemrn

Brilliant_Rock
These has me drooling for a asscher. I believe this is one of Gene''s??? I am dying over it.

gemasscher1.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No specific cut for any gemstones because it is difficult enough to find a well coloured stone that is decently cut. What I refuse to accept however are flat topped stones with a low crown and huge table, as it really kills the dispersion and liveliness of the gemstone.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/14/2010 9:49:42 AM
Author: Chrono
No specific cut for any gemstones because it is difficult enough to find a well coloured stone that is decently cut.

Exactly. That might be why I have so many cushions and ovals.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Hands down absolute favourite has to be a square emerald cut. Just love the classic simplicity. I also love cushions in all shapes and sizes. Ovals are probably my third choice and I would love one of Barry''s supernovas one day.

Favourite cuts for Gailey.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/14/2010 9:49:42 AM
Author: Chrono
No specific cut for any gemstones because it is difficult enough to find a well coloured stone that is decently cut. What I refuse to accept however are flat topped stones with a low crown and huge table, as it really kills the dispersion and liveliness of the gemstone.
You know, I am becoming a huge fan of high crowns too. They may face up smaller due to the larger depth of the stone, but they really improve sparkle. I am also becoming a huge fan of high crowns and small tables together, especially on low RI stones where they really work wonders with sparkle. Good polish is also important. No matter how well your facet meets are, if your stone looks waxy due to bad polish, well, that's not a good ting. Some gems take on a better polish than others, but if the lapadary is skilled, I would think they could get a decent polish on any facetable gem. This improves the overall appearance and luster.

This "favorite cut" question came up as another thread that Loriken started a while back. I think it was worded as "what is your least favorite cut," but many commented on both. Think the general consensus back then was there there were many heart haters!! It's funny since the heart is the symbol for love. Tell your hubbies/fiances/ boyfriends/signifigant others to send you Valentines chocolates in a cushion or asscher shaped box!! LOL!

Jim Rentfrow

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I really like portuguese cuts however recently I was shown a cut called squartoguese. It is an asscher on the crown and a portuguese on the pavillion. It has an amazing light reflection pattern like no other stone I have seen.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/14/2010 3:47:27 PM
Author: Jim Rentfrow
I really like portuguese cuts however recently I was shown a cut called squartoguese. It is an asscher on the crown and a portuguese on the pavillion. It has an amazing light reflection pattern like no other stone I have seen.
Photos?

Jim Rentfrow

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Here is a photo of the design, I had to cut off the angles to get it under the limits for size. I just finished up a 1.87 mahenge spinel in this cut but I will wait to see if I can post that pic or if it will be considered self promotion.

Squartugues.JPG

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/14/2010 5:15:38 PM
Here is a photo of the design, I had to cut off the angles to get it under the limits for size. I just finished up a 1.87 mahenge spinel in this cut but I will wait to see if I can post that pic or if it will be considered self promotion.
I have a pale pink tourmaline cut for me by Peter Torraca that has a step cut crown and a brilliant pavillion, which I guess is pretty close to this.

The performance of this stone is amazing. In fact, at some stage I would like a garnet cut in a similar pattern

gold pink and orange 05.jpg

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/15/2010 12:20:51 AM
Author: Gailey
Date: 6/14/2010 5:15:38 PM

I have a pale pink tourmaline cut for me by Peter Torraca that has a step cut crown and a brilliant pavillion, which I guess is pretty close to this.

The performance of this stone is amazing. In fact, at some stage I would like a garnet cut in a similar pattern

GORGEOUS GALLEY! I love it when the cutters are more adventurous! I think they cut a ton of asschers for us (which are fab, BTW) but I think if we knew some other names for cuts, all us PSer''s would know better what to ask for. Here for example, is a Barion Cushion. At least I think that''s what it''s called. . . It''s hard to ask for "sparkly square cut" so a lot of us tend to say asscher. I''ve got one of these Barions coming from Jerry at Gemart Services. It''s my understanding Barions can be round or oval, too. Somebody correct me if I''m wrong.

My experience with asschers is limited to diamonds, and the asschers seem to face up small for the weight. I''m interested to know if there''s a square cut out there that faces up BIG for the weight, so I can save money LOL!

tourmbarionbow321.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
http://www.faceters.com
I think most PSers are very familiar with this website but if not, here it is again for major faceting eye candy. The stones are not the best coloured but his patterns are excellent and he makes use of odd colouration to make very interesting designs.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
At the moment my favorite cuts for gemstones are the portuguese cut and the asscher cut. And I always love a classic round, which is my favorite cut for a diamond.

I really can appreciate almost any cut if its done well though...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results