shape
carat
color
clarity

Custom setting to maximise the color of fancy Color diamond

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I bought this diamond from Leibish and they are making a custom setting for it, with the objectives of maximising the pink tones in the diamond as well showcasing the lovely cut, whilst ensuring that cleaning is still possible at home.

Here are the CADs which I received today:

We decided on a mili-prong setting for the centre stone to frame it in 14K rose gold (the pinkest of their rose golds), in addition to a rose gold reflector under the diamond. I'm quite excited about the mili-prong setting because it seems like an ideal halfway house between a bezel (which was not recommended for this stone because of how it would impact the light performance) and a prong setting (which would allow for plenty of light to enter around the girdle but wouldn't provide the extra "amping up" of the pink tones as much as a setting with more rose gold around the girdle).

They are making a rose gold reflector to go under the diamond with an opening to allow for cleaning. I am hoping to see a picture of how this is going to be designed, as I am keen to ensure that it will really provide access for cleaning without having to take it to a jeweler every time I want it cleaned. Thanks to the various PS members who gave advice about these cups/ reflectors in my other thread, it helped me make up my mind. :)

I have to say that I am really impressed with the service at Leibish. They are so patient and helpful, and their interpretation of my (very pernickity :naughty: ) requests into the ring design is spot-on. They really listen, but also give great advice about how to optimise the FCD in its setting. And they turn the work around really quickly. Hopefully I will have it on my finger in the couple of weeks, and will be able to see how the ideas translated into reality. I'm hoping the new creation will pop with some pink when I meet it in person! :D

_24756.jpg

_24757.jpg

_24758.jpg

ring_cad.jpg

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Custom setting to maximise the color of fancy Color diam

That looks like it is going to be lovely!

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

AprilBaby|1417450852|3793279 said:
That looks like it is going to be lovely!

Thanks AprilBaby. I was a little bit nervous about the mili-prongs because I haven't really seen that kind of setting in person before, but if it helps to play up the pink in my stone then I'm going to go with it.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I :love: the color of your diamond! I have a pair of very small studs set in 8-prong martini baskets, which probably amounts to a look very similar to the "miliprongs." I think the delicacy of the prongs will compliment the delicate color of your center diamond very nicely!

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Your stone is AMAZING! Congrats on finding it. Can't wait to see it set! :appl:

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

VRBeauty|1417461195|3793360 said:
I :love: the color of your diamond! I have a pair of very small studs set in 8-prong martini baskets, which probably amounts to a look very similar to the "miliprongs." I think the delicacy of the prongs will compliment the delicate color of your center diamond very nicely!
Thank you! Its good to hear the feedback about 8 prong setting. Hopefully I am on the right track.

derbygal|1417463574|3793379 said:
Your stone is AMAZING! Congrats on finding it. Can't wait to see it set! :appl:

Thanks. It has been the culmination of a very long search. Trying to find a diamond within my budget which would have some noticeable pink in it, but without paying the price of something where the principle color is pink, has been a real labour of love. I'm hoping I got it right with this one. :)

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

I'm curious - have you actually seen the stone in person?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

I love your stone. I think a rose gold cup is the way to go.

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

momhappy|1417479046|3793548 said:

Havent seen the stone in person, just various photos in different lights. I know it's a risk but I really trust Amir, the guy at Leibish who has been patiently helping me pick a diamond for about 6 months. Also, I figured that it will probably look it's best once set, so I will only really understand and appreciate the final effect once its sitting in its rose gold cradle.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Did they send you a picture of the underside? I'm wondering how large the rose gold reflector underneath the diamond is as well as the opening size. I've read from other posters that even with the cleaning hole, the diamond is a pain to clean and doesn't get very clean in an ultrasonic. The stone also seems to sit very high (nothing seen from the sideview); did you request this to allow the wedding band to sit flush with the e-ring?

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Chrono|1417542110|3793931 said:
Did they send you a picture of the underside? I'm wondering how large the rose gold reflector underneath the diamond is as well as the opening size. I've read from other posters that even with the cleaning hole, the diamond is a pain to clean and doesn't get very clean in an ultrasonic. The stone also seems to sit very high (nothing seen from the sideview); did you request this to allow the wedding band to sit flush with the e-ring?

Here is a picture of the reflector:

This picture was provided after the first CADs which I posted and at that point I dont think the reflector had been added. I am not sure how visible it will be from the side view of the ring.

I wont be wearing a band next to the ring (its a RHR) but I thought that the total height of 6mm from the table to the top of the finger was reasonable, considering I will want access to the underside of the ring to clean it and if it is set too low that might make cleaning even less accessible. I am looking at getting a steamer to clean it, rather than just relying on ultrasonic. I'm not sure whether there will be enough space to poke a couple of bristles from a fine brush through the hole in the reflector?

ring_cad_2.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Why are there so many prongs to hold the stone???

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Gypsy|1417543406|3793940 said:
Why are there so many prongs to hold the stone???

diamondhoarder|1417382684|3792948 said:
We decided on a mili-prong setting for the centre stone to frame it in 14K rose gold (the pinkest of their rose golds), in addition to a rose gold reflector under the diamond. I'm quite excited about the mili-prong setting because it seems like an ideal halfway house between a bezel (which was not recommended for this stone because of how it would impact the light performance) and a prong setting (which would allow for plenty of light to enter around the girdle but wouldn't provide the extra "amping up" of the pink tones as much as a setting with more rose gold around the girdle).

Do you think the mili-prongs are too much?

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

diamondhoarder|1417540957|3793921 said:
momhappy|1417479046|3793548 said:

Havent seen the stone in person, just various photos in different lights. I know it's a risk but I really trust Amir, the guy at Leibish who has been patiently helping me pick a diamond for about 6 months. Also, I figured that it will probably look it's best once set, so I will only really understand and appreciate the final effect once its sitting in its rose gold cradle.

What happens if you receive the completed ring and it's not pinkish as you had hoped? The stone and setting are very pretty, but it would be concerning for me to trust in someone if I was looking for something specific (like a pink diamond). I purchased a pink diamond eternity band sight unseen, but the stones were definitely pink, so it was just intensity of pink (and not actual color) that was of concern to me.
As far as the milli-prong setting is concerned, it's not something that I've seen before, so I can't really give a fair assessment of it - sorry.
I hope that it works out for you - it's a fun project and I'm sure that the ring will be lovely. Your stone is gorgeous:)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results