shape
carat
color
clarity

Custom Setting For Yellow Pear 1.5

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

YellowPear

Rough_Rock
My new fiance found me the diamond of my dreams at Derco in the SF Jewelry Mart (Thanks Judy!) Now I need to choose/design a setting worthy of this 1.5 carat yellow pear rock. I want white side diamonds to set off the yellow, but I''m trying to decide on the best shape. Any suggestions welcome!

Also - I think I want custom work to incorporate all of the elements I like. Any recommendations in the Jewelry Mart or elsewhere in the SF Bay Area? Thanks in advance!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 10/2/2003 7:05:51 AM YellowPear wrote: I want white side diamonds to set off the yellow, but I'm trying to decide on the best shape. ----------------

The best way remains experimentation! You could try a couple of combinations using the 'design' facilities at adiamondisforever.com. It sounds like they have the most sophisticated site for this kind of exercise: you cna select both the shape and, between some limits, the size of the sides too. Honestly, I like pears alone or with small sides, like baguettes or horizontally places marquises... But, of course, this is solely your call. I do not know any jewelers in SF, but I definitely like what jewelryexpert.com does for yellow diamonds! Hope this helps! Best of luck searching...
1.gif

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Use D color baguettes or triangles.
1.gif

Fancy

Shiny_Rock
My pear is flanked by a smaller pear on each side ... and everyone who sees it compliments it. I just love the look!! The only other stone I would have put on the side would have been a small round on each side. I like to pair brilliant cuts with brilliant cuts.

I will have to try and get decent pics one of these days to post.

Congrats on the yellow pear ... post a pic!

YellowPear

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all of the advise! I am SOOO in love with this stone (see pic!) and I'm having fun looking at all kinds of options... After consulting friends and boards and looking at jewelers and on-line, I'm thinking about a pretty "basic" pave style band... As much as I adore side stones, I'm really having trouble getting a look that is balanced with the pear shape... Do you think a white pave band will give enough sparkle and set off the yellow well? Thanks, again!

Top (Cross).jpg

YellowPear

Rough_Rock
Another view to catch the depth... and a link to the setting (not to mention the stone) I am currently drooling over...

http://www.icestore.com/jewelry/fancy_diamond_jewelry_detail.asp?ID=112

And another... but I'm afraid the ring might be so intricate as to take away from the stone... Thoughts?

http://www.tacori.com/collections/koala/koala_g.html

Point Out.jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi!
The stone is really gracious, congrats! And I love the way it looks by itself, as oposed to either of the setings... I agree with you about the second setting. The other one (from Icestore) is obviously quite elegant and will match your diamond almost as well as a simple setting like the one you have, but... But the stone in the Icestore picture is huge compared to yours, and, since the width of the respective setting cannot be brought down so much as to conserve the same elegant proportions relative to your stone, the effect will be quite different and you might not like it (the shank would become maybe twice as wide). One thing I know: I would not!

If I had a nice pear like yours I would let it alone in a great simple setting, preferably 18K. However, given the amazing designs one can have custome made these days, I would spend a couple of evenings trying to figure out a bi-color (platinum + 18K) setting, just as understated (small, thin) as the one you have. (for some reason, your pictures made me envision a bi-color with a white-yellow combination along the shank and yellow prongs...) AND, I would get a band with some fancy colors too, perhaps pinks. I had a couple of times the ocasion to see rings or sets combining pink and yellow diamonds and could not get them off my mind... But this is obviously personal.

Good luck with your ring!

Fancy

Shiny_Rock
I love the stone, it is gorgeous! And I like the first setting from icestore ... aren't those rings incredible! I have looked throught all of those designs! Post the pic when you get the ring set!

YellowPear

Rough_Rock
Awww - thanks for the sweet words about my stone! I adore it, especially because I know my guy did a lot of legwork to find something that was unique AND exactly what I wanted...

So, I leaning more and more toward having something made to look like the Icestore setting discussed above (and here for your reference):

http://www.icestore.com/jewelry/fancy_diamond_jewelry_detail.asp?ID=112

AnA - your comments are well-taken, but since I'm such a newbie, I'm not sure I fully get the picture... Do you think I could have something like that made custom and the proportions would work out? Or do you just think that type of setting won't work with my stone?

I am hoping to go to a custom shop in the SF Jewelry Mart - their work looks great and the prices can't be beat... They said that if I were to bring pics, that they could make a wax mock-up, and we go from there... So - Do you think I could scale down the above setting for my (obviously MUCH smaller - LOL!) stone, and still get a ring that look so smashing?? I love the effect of white-white stones and the way they bring out the yellow. At first I felt I needed sidestones to get that effect, but I'm leaning more and more toward the pave eternity band, and I would be thrilled to get feedback from anyone who has an opinion - positive or negative! Thanks!

Oh - and AnA - Your thoughts on a two-tone 18K & Plat ring with yellow and pink stones sounds incredible!!! I'd love that someday for a cocktail ring (ora pendant? Ooooh!) But, I think I'm going to stick with the yellow and white in all Plat look for my E-ring...

Man - I love this rock - the pics don't even do it justice!
love.gif

Fancy

Shiny_Rock
I love that setting for the size of your diamond, and I don't think it will look less incredible just because the center diamond isn't as large as the one in the picture. My jeweler's wife has her e-ring with a pave band, and I ADORE it.

detta

Rough_Rock
I LOVE the first one.
love.gif
I definitely think it would highlight your stone. The second is too busy in my opinion. Good luck and post pics later!
wavey.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------On 10/9/2003 3:39:32 PM YellowPear wrote: Do you think I could have something like that made custom and the proportions would work out? ----------------

Hi! Thanks for appreciation! First of all, I could not agree more that the first setting has a few shades of class more. And, while it is customary for people to put small stones into big settings (well, unless we are taling about some crowd where 5ct diamonds are the lower end), but this is, I believe, somewhat of a departure from the classical proportions in which I strongly believe...

To answer your Q: I surely think the setting could be made to nicely compliment your rock, but I do not know the size (Length X width) of your yellow pear. It is not all that small, after all! Once I have those I guess I could compute what should be the width of the pave band and deduce what room is there for the small diamonds. If this result is too little (which may not be the case), I could see how far it is from the acceptable minimum still technically feasible. This is not rocket science, and can be done asap (by you included) with an acceptable error margin.

After this is done, one question only remains: which kind of pave things do you like? Some have bigger stones than others: from less than 1mm to 5mm is not unusual. These have very different looks... Anyway, let me know how big your pear is and I'll take it from here.

Well, I surely hope to see you with a pink one too! The combination is quite a sight! Unfortunately, I briefly crossed the way of a crossover ring with two rather small pears: fancy intense yellow and fancy deep pink, and I still have nightmares!
5.gif

YellowPear

Rough_Rock
AnA - wow... pretty technical stuff, eh? My finace would love this little engineering problem, but I think it's better left to the diamond experts!

So - measurements: 9.12x6.13x3.87
That's length/width/depth, I believe.

FYI - it's also 63.1% D & 60% T, if that's helpful as well. :)

Would love to hear what you think... I'll be going to talk to some custom places on Monday, so...

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for feedback! I am not a diamond expert but I deal alot with such technicals in my work... and I have all my jewelry custom made, sometimes in odd places (such by prototype shops and traditional metalworkers), so I must know what I am asking for. I'll do the stats and get back to you until Monday.
2.gif

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
What a beautiful stone!!!!!!
love.gif

I would get something simple, not distracting, done in bicolor gold. I still like the idea of a baguette, heart or well cut trillion on each side. It's really timeless and believe me, it really looks great with a pear.

But I have to say that http://www.icestore.com/jewelry/fancy_diamond_jewelry_detail.asp?ID=112 looks great. I wouldn't get the filigree though. Just keep it simple and focus on the center diamond.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results