shape
carat
color
clarity

Custom Reset with Sidestones or Diamond Upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

soon2bmrsT

Rough_Rock
Hi ALL!

I''m new to the forum. I''m contemplating changing my engagement ring, nothing immediate but maybe after the wedding. I was thinking about making it either a three stone ring with a custom setting or if I should keep the solitaire look and upgrade from my 1.25 to a 1.40ish carat stone.

I happen to love both looks equally. I can''t quite decide though. The solitaire would let me wear my eternity band more often and the 3 stone would work with my plain band.

If I keep my 1.25 I could add .30 RBs and still get better finger coverage and get a custom setting. If I upgraded my diamond I would probably stick with my setting and maybe adjust the head because of the new center stone.

What do you think? Oh and my finger size is 4.5 if that helps!

If anyone''s done this and had regrets or is over the moon about it let me know. I''m worried about making a decision that I won''t be able to live with later on.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi soon2bemrsT
35.gif

I guess the only person who can answer this question is you. Have you tried lots of different rings on to see what really makes your heart sing? I''m also wondering if you would notice the size difference if you went up another 15 points. If you want a lot of finger coverage you could think about a halo for your existing diamond. Or as you say, go for a 3 stone.

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
It''s really up to you -- I guess I would think about whether after this upgrade you are going to upgrade again, say for your fifth anniversary. There are plenty of serial upgraders here...
31.gif
If so, you might want to invest in the center stone first and then get the custom setting later.

soon2bmrsT

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/4/2009 3:02:19 PM
Author: Maisie
Hi soon2bemrsT
35.gif

I guess the only person who can answer this question is you. Have you tried lots of different rings on to see what really makes your heart sing? I''m also wondering if you would notice the size difference if you went up another 15 points. If you want a lot of finger coverage you could think about a halo for your existing diamond. Or as you say, go for a 3 stone.
Hi Maisie!

I have tried on quite a few rings. I tried on a 3 stone (all rounds) and it was soooo blingy. But I also love wonderfully clean and unfussy a solitaire is especially with a larger, ideal cut stone. However the only thing I don''t know is if I''d truly notice the difference in the 15pts. either.
39.gif

The 3 stone might be more economical, but I''m trying to focus on what I''d love a billion years from now.

soon2bmrsT

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/4/2009 3:15:11 PM
Author: mscushion
It''s really up to you -- I guess I would think about whether after this upgrade you are going to upgrade again, say for your fifth anniversary. There are plenty of serial upgraders here...
31.gif
If so, you might want to invest in the center stone first and then get the custom setting later.

Nope I won''t be one of those. My fiance pretty much as said this the first, the only and the last time I get to change it. So, if I make a big mistake on this, it''ll be a mistake I''ll have to keep.
14.gif

Which is why I''m so cautionary about this whole thing...
40.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/4/2009 4:33:01 PM
Author: soon2bmrsT
Date: 4/4/2009 3:02:19 PM
Author: Maisie
Hi soon2bemrsT
35.gif

Hi Maisie!

I have tried on quite a few rings. I tried on a 3 stone (all rounds) and it was soooo blingy. But I also love wonderfully clean and unfussy a solitaire is especially with a larger, ideal cut stone. However the only thing I don''t know is if I''d truly notice the difference in the 15pts. either.
39.gif

The 3 stone might be more economical, but I''m trying to focus on what I''d love a billion years from now.
I am a serial upgrader so I''m not sure how useful my advice can be!
9.gif
How about you wait a bit longer and upgrade to a bigger diamond.. maybe 1.5ish. You would definitely see the size difference. I just went from 1ct to 1.5 and its plenty big for me! You are lucky you have such small fingers - I am a size 7.5!! Then you could dress the solitaire up with some sparkly wedding bands.

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
I would say go for the 3 stone now so you can keep your original stone and then get a big solitaire later like for a 10 year anniversary. Best of both worlds!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results