shape
carat
color
clarity

Custom Halo local jeweler

MZSushi

Rough_Rock
hi, I just joined and after all my research wanted to make sure I’m getting a good price for a custom halo reset. My current setting for my 1.9 ct round diamond from James Allen is a shared prong low basket and I have a curved wedding band. I didn’t spend much time selecting this and never liked how they don’t sit flush and the curve is always off as well as a few other aspects. Now looking to reset into a halo and matching band. I liked the Ritani French round halo until I saw how dainty it was in person. I am thinking each band needs to be at least 2-2.2mm. I need everything ordered to my size because I am a 3.75. Got a few quotes, Idj won’t custom if the diamond isn’t from them, Good old Gold is suggesting a Gabriel Ny halo and band that come out to over 5 k for the set. I want my halo to have a cathedral and no milgrain but more substantial than Ritani. I liked the cathedrals on Tacori but too many details and hard to pick an exact match band. I need the stones on each ring to end in the same place. So I was quoted at C.D. Peacock for the halo $2,390 in 14 k white gold. My e-ring band is now 14 and wedding band an 18 and I am fine with 14. Never noticed the difference over the years. The matching band is $1,980. As many CADs as needed and no cost to set my diamond. I think g/h si2 stones are fine in the small melee size? I don’t know if worth it to pay more for si1? I am thinking 1.7mm melee to allow for a more substantial shank of 2mm. So $4,370 total is that reasonable for a custom round halo with matching band. I feel like stock from vendors don’t always sit flush and not every halo
Accommodates a 2 ct round stone. Victor Canera was almost 6 k in platinum but his look isn’t exactly what I am designing. The custom designer told me the halo would fit my stone snugly but I want some of the pavilion raised above the halo for a nice
Profile and not flat or bezel. I feel like going custom with a jeweler close to home allows me to talk to the designer during the CAD process in person. Can I even find a better price being so specific with the design? 2-2.2 mm shanks, cathedral, 1.7ish melee, smooth pave, small finger size...

MZSushi

Rough_Rock
hi, I just joined and after all my research wanted to make sure I’m getting a good price for a custom halo reset. My current setting for my 1.9 ct round diamond from James Allen is a shared prong low basket and I have a curved wedding band. I didn’t spend much time selecting this and never liked how they don’t sit flush and the curve is always off as well as a few other aspects. Now looking to reset into a halo and matching band. I liked the Ritani French round halo until I saw how dainty it was in person. I am thinking each band needs to be at least 2-2.2mm. I need everything ordered to my size because I am a 3.75. Got a few quotes, Idj won’t custom if the diamond isn’t from them, Good old Gold is suggesting a Gabriel Ny halo and band that come out to over 5 k for the set. I want my halo to have a cathedral and no milgrain but more substantial than Ritani. I liked the cathedrals on Tacori but too many details and hard to pick an exact match band. I need the stones on each ring to end in the same place. So I was quoted at C.D. Peacock for the halo $2,390 in 14 k white gold. My e-ring band is now 14 and wedding band an 18 and I am fine with 14. Never noticed the difference over the years. The matching band is $1,980. As many CADs as needed and no cost to set my diamond. I think g/h si2 stones are fine in the small melee size? I don’t know if worth it to pay more for si1? I am thinking 1.7mm melee to allow for a more substantial shank of 2mm. So $4,370 total is that reasonable for a custom round halo with matching band. I feel like stock from vendors don’t always sit flush and not every halo
Accommodates a 2 ct round stone. Victor Canera was almost 6 k in platinum but his look isn’t exactly what I am designing. The custom designer told me the halo would fit my stone snugly but I want some of the pavilion raised above the halo for a nice
Profile and not flat or bezel. I feel like going custom with a jeweler close to home allows me to talk to the designer during the CAD process in person. Can I even find a better price being so specific with the design? 2-2.2 mm shanks, cathedral, 1.7ish melee, smooth pave, small finger size...

Forgot to mention round halo not cushion. And I don’t like the halos with no cathedral, the ones where the head comes out of the shank. I also don’t like super chunky or vintage looking halos and some overwhelm my small hand and finger.

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Since you prefer that the halo not be a perfect snug fit with the girdle (correct me if I misunderstood), you could save a lot of money with just a stock setting.

Victor is priced higher because his pieces are all hand forged platinum. He can tweek any of his designs to exactly what you want.

Again, you are paying a premium for the brand name when going with Ritani, Tacori, etc...

It's a personal preference, in who you chose to design your new piece, but don't feel that you must remain local to get personalized attention/communication. I have designed settings with several vendors remotely and still felt that I was part of the process. I think it is more of a matter of personalities meshing, feeling like you were on the same page aesthetically and with the level of communication.

Best of luck!

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

MZSushi

Rough_Rock
We actually bought our original Ering from Jared which was a 1 ct round and recently upgraded to the 2 ct, I was just lucky to get Jared to match the James Allen loose diamond price since the GIA diamond # was the same from Jared online selection as on James Allen.com. basically Jared had the same loose stone marked up like 4K. So my actual mounting and wedding band are from Jared. Exploring their halo quality I’ve been really disappointed with their semi mounts and don’t want to pursue their upgrade policy that they have for settings... most of their rings are very stock and hollow and sizing down to my 3.75 would ruin the integrity. How does the custom pricing sound? Is that a good ballpark or are we being overcharged? I’m thinking 14k is fine, and with all my research I still am not sure why high end designers only offer 18k? Should I just pay the $400 for this new set to get it in 18k?
Thanks everyone!

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you reached out to David Klass? Not only will DK be cheaper, the ring will be custom and most likely much better quality. There's no way I'd pay $2390 and take a chance on a local jeweler that I hadn't worked with before- unless they agree to remake the setting if it's not up to par.

MZSushi

Rough_Rock
I reached out and David Klass did not reply...

The Stig

Rough_Rock
I reached out and David Klass did not reply...

I had the same issue. Called him and left a voicemail at the end of July, never got a callback. Then a few weeks later I tried again, got through to their assistant who recommended I send an e-mail. I e-mailed and he responded straight away. We had a few exchanges, and then at the phase where he was drawing up some CADs and was going to e-mail them to me he went silent again. Then this past weekend (after 3 weeks) he finally e-mailed me the CAD and apologized for the delay as they had caught the flu. However, for me it was too late as I had already made the decision to move ahead with IDJ. The lag in communication is somewhat of a dealbreaker for me, especially with the anxiety I would suffer once the loose stone is sent his way, however I have seen from other's that once the process is underway him and his team are much more responsive. Read Sledge's recent experience with him which was the opposite of mine. I would give him the benefit of the doubt and be persistent, but I can relate if the communication issue is a deal breaker.

You may want to also give Brilliantly Engaged a try or Diamonds by Lauren. Both in NY which I insinuate is close to home for you based on your first post? Maybe even Designs by Kamni, although you don't hear anything about them on here.

Last edited:

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd also suggest DK - if you persist with getting through, it will be worth it. He knows how picky PSers are and delivers. Countless PSers have done projects with him (I just completed one and will be receiving it soon), he does several CADs and wants to make sure his clients are happy. Victor's work is amazing but he's not as open to suggestion with his classic emilya halo design...he does the halo to what he feels is proportionate to the center stone (at least this is what he told my friend when she commissioned the emilya and suggested some stones sizes, etc.).

MZSushi

Rough_Rock
Any input on Gabriel Ny halo settings specifically the Rachel? It did not have shoulders under the halo but it’s cathedral and felt substantial when I tried it on. There is slightly more metal on the halo than I liked... trying to see if a local jeweler can have it customized...

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Any input on Gabriel Ny halo settings specifically the Rachel? It did not have shoulders under the halo but it’s cathedral and felt substantial when I tried it on. There is slightly more metal on the halo than I liked... trying to see if a local jeweler can have it customized...

I know IDJ said they couldn't do custom for your stone, but they work with Gabriel & Co. so they might be able to help you if you're buying a 'stock' setting.

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
what city are you in? You mentioned VC, so I thought you meant LA. If you are in LA, you should just go see David Klass in person (after making an appt). He is awesome, as is Amy. They're just so busy w/ email and phones

MZSushi

Rough_Rock
I’m in the suburbs of Chicago. I contacted IDJ to see if they have better pricing than my local jewelers here on the Gabriel setting. I would prefer not to ship my diamond in its current setting if I don’t have to.

Donnass117

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Try reaching out to Maytal Hannah, she's the only vendor through this forum that I've worked with, she makes custom hand made rings, and will make exactly what you want.
www.maytahannah.com

MZSushi

Rough_Rock
Anyone have pictures of a VC round cathedral halo with the matching wedding band? I am customizing it to have pave on only one side, no pave on petals and for the band to sit flush! I hope I love it. VC says they can make each band 2-2.2 mm wide so hopefully it feels substantial on!

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is my VC cathedral Emilya w/ spacer + single cut pave band (flush fit):

IMG_4391.jpg
I usually don't wear my rings this way as I prefer to wear it as a solitaire.

MZSushi

Rough_Rock
Doesn’t the cathedral allow a flush band next to it without a spacer? I’m getting it without the donut, just a flat bar below the petals.

MZSushi

Rough_Rock
I like the look of the shoulders on the cathedral. That was my specification for a round halo. I don’t like the look of just the cathedral coming out of a flat band. I just was wanting to see pics of a matching wedding band beside it.

MZSushi

Rough_Rock
I meant I don’t like the look of just a halo head coming out straight from the band.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
806F39DE-4651-43A5-984A-B58D222948FC.jpeg IMG_2423.JPG

_29651.jpg _29650.jpg

I have a cathedral Emilya and matching band but it does have a donut (no pave) and pave on the struts. I prefer a slight gap, though.

Gorgeous! I love a slight gap...makes the rings separate and distinct and it's a beautiful look IMO. You wear it so well.:love:

MZSushi

Rough_Rock
B31C4DE4-3D04-4906-BD06-1D4AF4E72C53.png
No one has this style? I am doing only pave on one side and no pave on the bridge. I like this style because I don’t like a gap between rings. My current set has a curved wedding band and always left a slight gap which drove me nuts lol!

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
No one has this style? I am doing only pave on one side and no pave on the bridge. I like this style because I don’t like a gap between rings. My current set has a curved wedding band and always left a slight gap which drove me nuts lol!
by one side, do you mean on the top or are you meaning on the top and on one exposed side?

MZSushi

Rough_Rock
I want to do pave only on the top of the shank, like not on all 3 sides. No pave on the bridge so as not to scratch the wedding band, but pave on the stems would make a nice profile view...

MZSushi

Rough_Rock
17990C8E-D6DC-4FB6-A1EF-AF76F2557D5B.png 4BD62B1C-02AE-40CB-96B5-AD99B5E237FF.png

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m in the suburbs of Chicago. I contacted IDJ to see if they have better pricing than my local jewelers here on the Gabriel setting. I would prefer not to ship my diamond in its current setting if I don’t have to.

Hey neighbor!

MZSushi

Rough_Rock
No one else has an Emilya cathedral without a donut?? Or with a flush fitting band next to it?

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
OP
A little late to the dance....the 3 big halo makers on this forum are VC, Steven Kirsch, and Brilliantly Engaged. It is my understanding and experience when doing the halo work for my wife, the pricing is in that order also. I can only attest to the work that BE does, worked with Chris. After 4 years had to send wife's ring back because it cracked below the pave on the shank, I posted this. Had the ring back in a week with a nominal charge. They stand by and support their work. Here is a picture of the wife's ER. Best of luck.

Edit: my wife is very tough on jewelry!

35A6AE90-806D-49BC-87DF-7E3AF220B728.jpeg 8664CE0A-D261-462C-8D3B-64A6B821ECCA.jpeg

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I just wanted to say that the girdle is going to be exposed, even with the lowest set diamond. If you don't want the girdle exposed, you will have to go with a bezeled halo. Regarding a gap... just tell Victor what you want, and he will make it happen, if at all possible.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results