shape
carat
color
clarity

custom eng ring - advice

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mattskiva

Rough_Rock
Hi folks,

I am looking at engagement rings - my girlfriend and I have already chosen a date and are pretty sure we are getting married, but just need to make it official. She had pointed out to me, on a vacation together, an eternity-style ring (small diamonds in 2 channel) and said something like "that is really nice, I think it would be more appropriate for me since we are so active." She basically said that she is concerned about damaging a big stone and while she has generally very expensive tastes, she wants something she can wear every day (we ski, hike, and lots of other things).

So, my thought is that I don''t want to do a pure eternity ring because it just doesn''t LOOK like an engagement ring, but also don''t want to do a setting where the stone really protrudes from the setting. I worked with a local jeweler who came up with the attached - my thought is to do a 1ct stone with the prongs in 18kt yellow gold and the rest of the band/setting in platinum. The quoted price for the setting is $2800. What do you guys think? It would certainly be somewhat distinctive... Oh, the reason I mention yellow gold for the prongs - she has a yellow gold necklace that she wears almost every day and I think it would set off the stone somewhat and match the necklace.

Thanks for any advice! If you have any other ideas on settings that are more ''wear-proof'', would certainly appreciate it. Oh, the thought is to wear this stand-alone - ie the wedding band would not be worn every day.

mmengring2.jpg

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
I think it''s gorgeous and a great choice for someone who''s as active as your gf
1.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
So awesome that you''re really thinking of what will suit her & your style/lifestyle! I thing that ring is lovely as a stand-alond (kind of has the two band look anyway)

I''m not sure about the yellow gold semi-bezel with the rest platinum. Just to match a necklace that she might not always wear. For me ... white metals are a "neutral" ''cause they blend in with the diamonds. It''s like wearing "all white" say ... not "white & yellow". All white matches anything ... White & yellow? well - some folks love two-tone. I like monochromatic for the most part.

But you know her tastes better than anyone here! Can''t wait for hand pix & proposal story!

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
I think its really pretty but I would make the whole thing platinum. I think the white metal really shows of the diamond better. In fact, my first setting was yellow gold but they prongs were platinum because the jeweler said that the platinum was stronger than gold to hold the diamond and the white showed off the diamond better.

Its sweet to try and match her necklace but her hand is not hear her neck and I don''t think it matters they are different.

I now have all platinum and still have a yellow gold necklace I wear sometimes and don''t think it makes a difference.

Thumbs up on the bezel set design, its beautiful but reconsider the yellow gold :)

mattskiva

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone! Will take the advice on no yellow gold. Will post a finger pic when it''s available :)

Kay

Ideal_Rock
The design is lovely. You could get her a matching eternity band for her wedding ring, and she could just wear the w-ring on days she thinks the e-ring might be in the way or at risk of damage.

I agree with the others about not doing yellow gold prongs or bezel. Usually, if someone wants a yellow gold ring, they still get platinum prongs, both because the plat is stronger, and because the yellow gold might be reflected by the diamond and make the diamond look less white.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Beautiful ring design! I think it''s perfect, though I''m glad to hear you''re nixing the yg prongs/bezel idea. I''d go with all white metal. Gorgeous!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty...and ditto to the all platinum..definitely.

kristy_lyn

Shiny_Rock
Personally, if it were me, I''d get a Platinum or WG bezel, and have the rest made in 18K yellow gold.

But - you''d really have to be a "two-tone" liking person... the all white metal is a safer bet.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results