shape
carat
color
clarity

Custom diamond jackets with sapphires and pearls

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock
I thought I would share my (finally!) completed custom earring project with you all! I have been updating the pearl thread with my progress but thought you might like to see it over here at SMTB :)

The back story: Last year, I lent a pair of earrings which had a huge amount of sentimental value (my wedding earrings) to my sister for her wedding. She lost them. I was devastated - not because of the value (they were high quality, hand made CZs) but because they were my wedding earrings. The earrings I was planning on giving to our daughter for her wedding. I am not attached to many things but I was to these and after trying to replace them and find another pair, we finally gave up. I moped around for a month or so, being sad, until eventually Mr K suggested we make a new pair of earrings, not big dangly chandelier style earrings like the ones that were lost but something I would wear more everyday. The new pair of earrings would be to commemorate our fifth wedding anniversary in March.

The idea of a convertible earring came from reading threads on Pricescope. I was THISCLOSE to buying a pair of IDJ jackets (5 pointers) but something was holding me back. I wanted something a little more individual so after spending a lot of time on Pinterest and searching jewellery websites, I came up with the idea of alternating pear and brilliant diamonds to create the halo.

I have a sapphire and diamond right hand ring and I love sapphires, so they were the natural choice for the centre stones. I would have preferred something a tiny bit darker but the other darker options were far too dark for earrings. I like that these flash lavender and royal blue depending on the light. They are very moody and beautiful.

So - the earrings are in three parts - the jacket, the stud and the pearl drop. I wear the jacket and stud combination a couple of times a week at least. They have significant presence and ear coverage and I get a lot of comments about them. I have only worn the drops once since I picked them up three weeks ago but I adore them. I was inspired by these earrings Princess Mary wears:

http://www.zimbio.com/photos/Princess+Mary/Danish+Royal+Family+Celebrates+Queen+Margrethe/m-BFj7YDhQ_

The diamonds and sapphires were purchased from my diamond dealer here in Sydney. I have bought the gems for my engagement ring, wedding band, right hand ring and diamond studs from her - she has fabulous quality gems.

The pearls were purchased from Pearl Society on eBay - they came undrilled and my local jeweller (who makes all my jewellery) organised to have them drilled and made the fixings and well as putting together the earrings from start to finish.

To say I am thrilled with the end result is a complete understatement. They are amazing. Beyond beautiful. I would never have imagined owning anything this gorgeous. I am looking forward to wearing them for many many years ahead.

Onto the specs:

Sapphires: 2 x 0.57ct medium blue Ceylonese sapphires, brilliant cut, 5mm
Diamonds: 8 x pear cut diamonds, 0.15ct each, F/VVS2; 8 x brilliant cut diamonds, 0.08ct each, F/VVS2
Pearls: Australian South Sea Pearls measuring 14.5 x 13.2mm and 14.2 x 13.2mm

Enjoy and thanks for looking.

img_5006.jpg

img_5400.jpg

img_4996.jpg

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock
With the pearls attached:

And, as a bonus, the pearl drops also work beautifully with my haloed diamond studs!

img_969.jpg

img_5121.jpg

img_970.jpg

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
OH MY :love: :love: :love: Those are gorgeous! You must be thrilled :appl: I can only imagine the comments you get IRL. If I saw you I would be tripping over myself for a closer look. You would be ready to call the authorities :)) Sorry about the loss of your wedding earrings but these are certainly a great new set!

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
I know I've ooo'ed and ahhhh'ed plenty on your other thread but I simply have to say it again - these are incredible!

bbziggy

Shiny_Rock
Oh misskittykat, these earrings are wonderful! I like how you can change them up. Dress them up or down. So sorry your wedding earrings were lost, but these will be so nice to pass to your daughter for her wedding one day!the pearls are yummy and I wish you many years of enjoying your beautiful new treasure!

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
These are so beautiful. Very regal! And South Sea pearls....gorgeous!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOVE with the pearl drops!!!!!

Sparklelu

Brilliant_Rock
Wowza beautiful! I love sapphires too. These are an amazing heirloom to pass on, but not before you have many many many occasions to wear them!!

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks woofmama - they sure are spectacular - I'd probably follow me too!

Rosebloom - I thought I would show everyone else over here! I know it's a bit of a double up but we don't get a lot of traffic over at the Pearl forum ;-)

Thanks bbziggy - I am still sad about my wedding earrings but I like the idea of creating new heirlooms for my daughter to wear and enjoy!

Smith1942 - I thought you might like them!! The pearl drop I think is my favourite bit!

motownmama, so do I! Surprisingly they were easy to do and they just make the earrings come alive.

Elisateach, I totally agree! There is an awful lot of wearing going on - to the supermarket, to the gym, to the park....

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those are absolutely gorgeous!!! :appl: :love:

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh wow, are those gorgeous!!! What a great idea. I have some little tiny rubies that I have been wanting to do something with. I wouldn't do something exactly like yours (so as not to copy your awesome idea) but the wheels are spinning. Absolutely stunning. I love everything about them. I love the pearls, I love the sapphires, I love the whole thing together and I love the earrings by themselves. So perfect.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh wow wow WOW!!! They are amazing!!! I love your idea of pears and RBs in the halo, what a fantastic combo. LOVE THEM!!! :love: :love: :love:

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock
luv2sparkle|1370136332|3457542 said:
Oh wow, are those gorgeous!!! What a great idea. I have some little tiny rubies that I have been wanting to do something with. I wouldn't do something exactly like yours (so as not to copy your awesome idea) but the wheels are spinning. Absolutely stunning. I love everything about them. I love the pearls, I love the sapphires, I love the whole thing together and I love the earrings by themselves. So perfect.

You are more than welcome to copy the idea luv2sparkle!! I never found a picture of the concept, it was just something that eventually came to me after looking at hundreds of designs, but I'm sure someone else has done it before, somewhere. Nothing is all that original anymore! If it can serve as inspiration to you then feel free to copy whatever elements suit :)

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock
DandiAndi|1370173174|3457653 said:
Oh wow wow WOW!!! They are amazing!!! I love your idea of pears and RBs in the halo, what a fantastic combo. LOVE THEM!!! :love: :love: :love:

Thanks DandiAndi!! I love them too!

Riesz

Rough_Rock
Wow! What elegant and lovely earrings. I love the sapphires and halo diamonds both with the pearls. Too cool that you can use them on both!

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Beautiful! The combination of sapphires, diamonds, and pearls just cannot be beat. So classic and elegant. Enjoy them for many years to come!

stci

Ideal_Rock
So beautiful! I adore with the pearls! Congrats! :love:

SB621

Ideal_Rock
What a fun project! I love detachable earrings that can be versatile. Plus I love how your halos aren't completely round. I NEVER would have thought about doing that, but love the look!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results