shape
carat
color
clarity

Cushion vs Square H&A

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Bev

Shiny_Rock
Hi Guys,

What are everyone''s thoughts on a modern cushion vs. the square H&A that is selling over at GOG? Is the price difference significance?

Thanks!

Bev

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
The prices for the H&A aren''t listed so I can''t help you there. The modern cushions are significantly higher than cushions- it''s like the cadillac of cushion cuts :)
I personally would not do a H&A cushion b/c of their spread. I have a 2.13 E mod cushion and it has a 64.1 depth, 56 table...I beleive it measures 7.84X7.93? Or something very close to that. Try finding that size in the H&A cushion at 2.1 ct
10.gif

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If you read any posts by mmm she has an inherant bias towards any cushions, squares or princess cuts that are cut to certain depth percentages. Even the new AGS "0" ideal cut princess cuts which are amongst some of the most brilliant square diamonds available (probably 2nd only to the square H&A''s) mmm will also knock due to depth measurements alone.
14.gif
Don''t get me wrong I love mmm
3.gif
but to knock or reject stones based on a depth measurment alone is a big mistake. The whole package must be considered. Depth is only a very small piece of the puzzle. The optics of the square H&A''s blow away not only other squares but even most rounds for that matter.

My advice would be to view both and let your eyes do the deciding. If interested we do provide both types.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I believe I said spread, not depth, right? Are you telling me that a 2.13 H&A cushion will be 7.84X7.94 and will look as big to the eye?

So the 2.62 H&A cushion on your site...which is lovely mind you, that measures 7.54X7.54 doesn't support what I"m saying to an extent?
10.gif
I knida think it does
9.gif

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 7/27/2005 5:56:43 PM
Author: moremoremore

I believe I said spread, not depth, right? Are you telling me that a 2.13 H&A cushion will be 7.84X7.94 and will look as big to the eye?

So the 2.62 H&A cushion on your site...which is lovely mind you, that measures 7.54X7.54 doesn''t support what I''m saying to an extent?
10.gif
I knida think it does
9.gif
While we do take depth into account many people including myself, when it comes to shapes other than rounds, consider optics as #1 priority. There is something to say for spready stones but if it comes at the expense of optics I''ll take the slightly smaller looking stone (less than 1mm in the case of a 2ct) with the extreme brilliance, contrast and fire any day.

I realize some people will take size over beauty/brilliance and we respect each individual preference which is why I advise to view both and let the eyes do the deciding. We show peeps these Square H&A''s next to many other cuts, ones that are more spreadier too and the greater majority side with the appearance of the SqH&A''s hands down. I have an appreciation for both and I don''t encourage one over the other but if someone is looking for the rare optics of an H&A round within a square or cushion shape a traditional cushion or even a moder cushion doesn''t do it. They are 2 different looking stones.

Hope this post finds you well dear.

Peace,

Bev

Shiny_Rock
In general, do square H&A''s price much higher than modern cushions?

Bev

Shiny_Rock
MMM - Do you have a picture of your cushion?

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 7/27/2005 6:40:49 PM
Author: Bev
Hi Bev,

In answer to your question: yes. Any diamonds that are cut with the precision to produce the contrast, brilliance, and fire that come with H&A optics will always be higher in value.

When considering stones of this nature if you are after a certain *size* there are other compromises that can be made which are not noticeable with the eye and let you accomplish the goal at hand. For example getting a G color instead of an F or a VS2 instead of a VS1. While there are lines you want to draw regarding clarity and color, these metrics take a back seat to cut when it comes to diamond appearance. The cutting style and the angles to which the diamond is cut dictate the appearance. I''m not downplaying clarity, color or even size but facet structure will dictate the beauty at the end of the day.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/27/2005 6:59:15 PM
Author: Rhino

Date: 7/27/2005 6:40:49 PM
Hi Bev,

In answer to your question: yes. Any diamonds that are cut with the precision to produce the contrast, brilliance, and fire that come with H&A optics will always be higher in value.

When considering stones of this nature if you are after a certain *size* there are other compromises that can be made which are not noticeable with the eye and let you accomplish the goal at hand. For example getting a G color instead of an F or a VS2 instead of a VS1. While there are lines you want to draw regarding clarity and color, these metrics take a back seat to cut when it comes to diamond appearance. The cutting style and the angles to which the diamond is cut dictate the appearance. I''m not downplaying clarity, color or even size but facet structure will dictate the beauty at the end of the day.
36.gif
well said rhino!

here is a pic of mmm''s cushion
18.gif

mnhds.jpg

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I don't quite think facet structure is going to dictate beauty for me...as much as what look appeals to me! The interplay of optics and the general appearance of the stone to me plus the size... And sorry guys, size matters LOL... And in the case of the examples I posted, I'm sure .30-.40 mm is certainly not a small difference!
I like a nice H&A but beauty to me can be found in the modern cushion!
10.gif
Dare I even say that "perfect H&As" are marketing to a certain extent (my opinion)....Every time i turn around there's a new fabulous cut that blows all the others away
20.gif

And so my original statement was correct, no? They are going to look smaller and that's why *I* don't like them. Dig?
41.gif

I'm not going to pay for a 2 ct stone when I can get the same spread from a smaller ct weight and cheaper mod cushion...plus, I adore the look!

If someone loves the look of the squarre H&A well then, that's certainly a reason to buy one!

Oh lord, thanks for posting that pic belle...of my huge man hands LOLOL J/K!
1.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
It's quite a stretch to say that a well cut modern cushion is a sacrifice of cut in any way. But then again, if someone doesn't like the look, that's another story :) It's certainly not the red headed step child of the square H&A cushion LMAO

hbcushmodcush.jpg

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
And btw, I'm thinking of upgrading...and it might be round LOL Maybe a H&A if I get lucky :)

hbmodmod2.jpg

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/27/2005 7:39:56 PM
Author: moremoremore
I don''t quite think facet structure is going to dictate beauty for me...as much as what look appeals to me! The interplay of optics and the general appearance of the stone to me plus the size... And sorry guys, size matters LOL... And in the case of the examples I posted, I''m sure .30-.40 mm is certainly not a small difference!
I like a nice H&A but beauty to me can be found in the modern cushion!
10.gif
Dare I even say that ''perfect H&As'' are marketing to a certain extent (my opinion)....Every time i turn around there''s a new fabulous cut that blows all the others away
20.gif

And so my original statement was correct, no? They are going to look smaller and that''s why *I* don''t like them. Dig?
41.gif

I''m not going to pay for a 2 ct stone when I can get the same spread from a smaller ct weight and cheaper mod cushion...plus, I adore the look!

If someone loves the look of the squarre H&A well then, that''s certainly a reason to buy one!

Oh lord, thanks for posting that pic belle...of my huge man hands LOLOL J/K!
1.gif
i think facet structure will dictate what looks good to you, you just don''t realize it. i''m not saying that you have to have a perfect h&a to get a beautiful stone, but it IS facet structure that is going to make or break a diamond in terms of beauty. of course beauty can be found in a modern cushion! we have proof of that!
2.gif

all of the pics of your ring are great, but the hand shot is the best!
36.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I totally dig! Hey= where are the pix of the H&A cushion. It certainly *is* a beautiful stone...there have to be some in the smtr

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
It *is* hideous without the H&A isn't it?
11.gif
oes look a tad round though. That's my only beaf and the H&A is certainly more square which I like. ......
41.gif
And I'm sure everyone is like OK, enough with the same stupid pix...we know you love your ring LOLOL
9.gif

belle- we are still investigating the boulder
30.gif
It's out of town on vacation. Table might be too small...and I would like another cushion if they are out there I think
39.gif

Anyhoo...I'm sure whatever you decide Bev, you'll have a beautiful stone! I wouldn't kick either out of bed for eating crackers :)

hid.jpg

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
why am i saying ''i dig'' all the time now?
37.gif
lol
here''s a h&a cushion...
addlering8.jpg

Bev

Shiny_Rock
Belle - what are the specs on that H&A? It''s beautiful!

burnban35

Rough_Rock

Bev -

I recently purchased a SQH&H from Jonathan. I couldn''t be happier. I should have my setting from Facets in the week and plan to post pictures when it is set... if I can improve my picture taking ability. Currently it doesn''t do my diamond justice. But here''s a picture anyways. It''s a SQH&H .93 H VS1 and it really is beautiful despite the picture.

MD.jpg

Bev

Shiny_Rock
Burnban,

Your stone is gorgeous! It looks more than .93. Can''t wait to see it in the setting.

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Personally, if you want a cushion, MMM''s stone is cream of the crop--a true cushion with tons of sparkle and life, similar to an H&A RB IMO, but with the distinction of a cushion. The H&A cushion is confusing to me. Just get a H&A RB then.

burnban35

Rough_Rock
Date: 7/27/2005 11:19:14 PM
Burnban,

Your stone is gorgeous! It looks more than .93. Can''t wait to see it in the setting.

Thanks Bev. I found out that Facets was going to ship it out this coming Monday for Wednesday delivery. My husbands a Firefighter (hence the name burnban) and on shift
39.gif
. Can you believe I had to ask them to wait until Tuesday so my husband is home to sign for it on Thursday?
It looks smaller than a .93 round but it ROCKS!!!!!! That''s what made the difference for me. I love mmm''s ring. I''m partial to the cushion cut. I wanted a square that really performed. I might have found an exceptional cushion somewhere but didn''t look any further once I found the SQH&A.

Michelle

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results