shape
carat
color
clarity

Cushion vs Radiant cut performance

Xrisus

Shiny_Rock
I was curious, if both a radiant cut diamond and a cushion cut had the same cut quality, would one have better brilliance, dispersion, etc? Thanks!

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
I found this on a website:

Cushion vs Radiant – Cut and Sparkle
The radiant and the crushed-ice cushion are both brilliant cuts. This means that the cut is designed with specific faceting arrangements to maximize the brilliance of the diamond. If you want a sparkling ring, these are great options for you and will surely look stunning on your finger! However, the chunky cushion has larger facets and is not as brilliant. It has an understated elegance and beautiful fire.

In terms of facets, the cushion has approximately 58 facets, similar to the round brilliant, while the radiant has 70 facets. From the two, the cushion cut is known for its fire (reflection of colored light) and not as much for its sparkle – after all, the original cushion cut was created to sparkle under candlelight.

The radiant cut is often more brilliant than the cushion cut as it has more facets and a larger table. Having said that, this would depend on a number of factors including the quality of the diamond rough and the quality of the cut. The best way to determine which is more brilliant would be to compare them side by side.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
First of all- @Xrisus ///LOVE your avitar...looks like Ik Kil...yes?
@maryjane04 ...Living in the internet world, I can totally undserstand why you would find- and trust the stuff you pasted in....but that's one of the main reasons Pricescope is so great.
The stuff you posted ( again- I l know you meant well)- but it is total marketing BS.
As an example
The radiant cut is often more brilliant than the cushion cut as it has more facets and a larger table.

Huh? First of all, it's not accurate in terms of which is more brilliant- and in fact, there's no way to accurately say "Radiant is more brilliant than Cushion" for so many reasons. There are so many different models in cushions, and some of them are more brilliant than other radiants.
Then table size- there's no hard fast rules. Cushions can have larger tables than radiant cuts- and in general, smaller tables are generally preferred for brilliance.
Again- no offense to you maryjane- the way it was presented made it seem ....accurate... but it's bull caca

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
SO- to accurately and concisely answer OP question:
There's no hard fast rule which shape is more briliant. Introducing the word "performance" complicates it even further.
Again, no hard fast rules but the term "performance" encompasses many potential aspects. There's going to be cases of Radiant cuts out "performing" cushions and vice versa.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did not know how to respond to the info @maryjane04 posted. I am glad @Rockdiamond commented on it.
No offense to you, but
the cushion has approximately 58 facets, similar to the round brilliant, while the radiant has 70 facets
What!? Some "experts" do not know what they are talking about.

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
I did not know how to respond to the info @maryjane04 posted. I am glad @Rockdiamond commented on it.
No offense to you, but

What!? Some "experts" do not know what they are talking about.

I just googled radiant facets - and most of the results came up with 70. I am not saying this is correct and there are different facet patterns etc so it's very difficult to compare. I guess the internet is full of lies lol.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Part of the beauty of the Radiant cut, from the cutters standpoint, is that facets on the pavilion can be placed differently based on the shape and size of the diamond, and the result desired. So there is no fixed number of facets on the radiant cut. Nor is there a fixed number of facets on a Cushion Modified Brilliant

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results