shape
carat
color
clarity

Cushion Hunting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

iBuy

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I''ve been lurking for the past few weeks doing research and I think that the time has come for me to step up and make a purchase!
From what little intel I''ve gathered from her siblings, my GF is a cushion fan and her ideal ring would be something like:

1.5-2.0ct
Cushion
Down to VS2 (maybe SI1 if eye clean)
Down to G color
Squarer ratio (< 1.08?)
Platinum solitare that doesn''t have the stone sit too high (she''s also a size 3)

My ideal:
A hug and a promise.. :) Though I''m sure she wouldn''t mind a ring... So would like to do something in the 10-15K range (including setting but if it goes over slightly, ok).

As I''ve been researching, I''ve come across the chunky cushions and in particular GOG AVs. Does anybody else have something similar?

As for GOG, what do you girls/guys think of this:
http://goodoldgold.com/diamond/6703/

For the setting, I gotta say that I am a fan of Mark Morell''s flame/torchiere designs! Now, for ''stock'' settings is getting a size 3 going to be a problem?

Well I hope that you can all steer me towards a fantastic purchase/ring, that will blow her mind away!

Thanks!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Your criteria looks like my criteria when I was looking :)

Stock settings will be an issue. I am also a size 3 and could never find any.

I love the stone you selected - I have been raving about it for weeks. It''s my favorite AVC in the inventory right now.

Roxie Bling

Rough_Rock
Trade
For diamond and setting, you have picked two winners.

magnus

Rough_Rock
I have to say the GOG August Vintage is amazing. I recently bought one for my girlfriend and gave it to her and she LOVED it. She has gotten multiple complements about the cut by random people while we''ve been out already. Definitely an amazing cut that I''d recommend to anyone. Your pick looks excellent!

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/12/2010 7:09:35 PM
Author:iBuy
Hi,

I''ve been lurking for the past few weeks doing research and I think that the time has come for me to step up and make a purchase!
From what little intel I''ve gathered from her siblings, my GF is a cushion fan and her ideal ring would be something like:

1.5-2.0ct
Cushion
Down to G color
Squarer ratio (< 1.08?)
Platinum solitare that doesn''t have the stone sit too high (she''s also a size 3)

My ideal:
A hug and a promise.. :) Though I''m sure she wouldn''t mind a ring... So would like to do something in the 10-15K range (including setting but if it goes over slightly, ok).

As I''ve been researching, I''ve come across the chunky cushions and in particular GOG AVs. Does anybody else have something similar?

For the setting, I gotta say that I am a fan of Mark Morell''s flame/torchiere designs! Now, for ''stock'' settings is getting a size 3 going to be a problem?

Well I hope that you can all steer me towards a fantastic purchase/ring, that will blow her mind away!

Thanks!
Thats the best cut AVC I''ve seen of all of them. Torchier is very pretty get one custom for you and size 3 shouldn''t be a problem. Both together should come in around 15k. You have excellent taste that combination should be fantastic.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Doooooo iitttttt!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/12/2010 7:09:35 PM
Author:iBuy
Hi,

1.5-2.0ct
Cushion
Down to G color
Squarer ratio (Platinum solitare that doesn''t have the stone sit too high (she''s also a size 3)

My ideal:

Thanks!
Thats a beautiful example of the AVC!!! In a MM setting.....be still my heart.....
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

iBuy

Rough_Rock
New intel - she would like a cushion with 1/2 moon side stones. Anybody suggest a setting?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/13/2010 9:47:51 AM
Author: iBuy
New intel - she would like a cushion with 1/2 moon side stones. Anybody suggest a setting?
Plain setting or one with tiny pave set diamonds?

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
You need to reserve this diamond before someone snatches it up! I am tempted to everytime I look at it.

CCL - Great choice. Love that setting.

I can't wait to see the finish product.

iBuy

Rough_Rock
Plain setting - I think a pave type setting will detract the large facets of the AVC.

Update - the rock is on hold!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/13/2010 2:10:33 PM
Plain setting - I think a pave type setting will detract the large facets of the AVC.

Update - the rock is on hold!
I think pave just adds more bling. I am doing pave with my AVC.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
That stone with CCL''s setting ... drool......... I can''t wait to see it.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/13/2010 4:24:17 PM
Author: CharmyPoo
That stone with CCL''s setting ... drool......... I can''t wait to see it.
That is my dream ring!

bebe

Ideal_Rock
Not to confuse you anymore, but Leon Mege is now sourcing cushions for clients. I saw a mention of this on his site. Just thought I''d throw this in.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/13/2010 5:02:32 PM
Author: bebe
Not to confuse you anymore, but Leon Mege is now sourcing cushions for clients. I saw a mention of this on his site. Just thought I''d throw this in.
He has been doing this for years but he has recently started advertising who the supplier is.

Roxie Bling

Rough_Rock
Trade

I would love to see a picture of one of the cushions he''s sourced for a PS''er.

Glad you put that diamond on hold. With all the great press it has been getting in the forum, I nearly put it in hold myself, even though what I really want (think I want) is a modern 8 main pavilion cushion. I have something in the works for that, but I was tempted not to wait. Great choice!

reggie

Rough_Rock
If you do go with Leon please be advised that his quote can change once he has the diamond in his possession. That is what happened to me. I also suggest that you do not let him source you a center diamond especially if you have something else that you know you like. I believe he takes it personally if you say no to his diamond and then find one yourself.

bebe

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/13/2010 6:10:59 PM
Author: reggie
If you do go with Leon please be advised that his quote can change once he has the diamond in his possession. That is what happened to me. I also suggest that you do not let him source you a center diamond especially if you have something else that you know you like. I believe he takes it personally if you say no to his diamond and then find one yourself.
ouch! But I think I know where you are coming from. While my experience with him and my setting was good, he did have opinions about my center stone. I''ve never forgotten that and in a way, it makes me want to redo the entire ring.

penskip

Rough_Rock
what did he say about your stone?

iBuy

Rough_Rock
What are Leon''s ball park prices? Doesn''t seem right that Leon would change prices once he provides a quote (within the timeframe) and making a customer feel that the center stone they have is ''inadequate''? Perhaps I should have the AVC set in a temporary setting for the proposal and leave it up to the gf to pick out the setting of her desires? Now I just gotta hope that I got the rock part correct!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/15/2010 8:36:03 AM
What are Leon''s ball park prices? Doesn''t seem right that Leon would change prices once he provides a quote (within the timeframe) and making a customer feel that the center stone they have is ''inadequate''? Perhaps I should have the AVC set in a temporary setting for the proposal and leave it up to the gf to pick out the setting of her desires? Now I just gotta hope that I got the rock part correct!
The downside to this approach is that she will be without her ring for a while. Leon''s prices range from $2000 and up. $2000 being a plain solitaire. I think a pave setting will start at around $4000.

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/14/2010 3:25:14 PM

Date: 2/13/2010 6:10:59 PM
Author: reggie
ouch! But I think I know where you are coming from. While my experience with him and my setting was good, he did have opinions about my center stone. I''ve never forgotten that and in a way, it makes me want to redo the entire ring.
Leon has strong opinions about everything, even if has is experience or not. With Diamonds he knows very little so I would avoid even discussing them with him. When I started my search he chose a diamond for me total
14.gif

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/15/2010 8:36:03 AM
IBuy,

Leon has strong opinions about everything, even when they are just his uneducated opinion. I would pay no mind to anything he says about diamonds, he is making the setting for you and maybe choosing sides I would just smile and ignore his comments.

You have jumped from the MW Torchiere to a Leon 3 stone ring and I don''t know where the pave fits in to all of this.
With Leon you have to be very clear down to the minute details about what you want, with pave costs more than without.

If you want post the quotes before and after and I can help you figure out what is going on there is usually a method to his madness.

reggie

Rough_Rock
iBuy - Until my cushion is in neutral territory I don't feel comfortable discussing it. Hopefully that will be tomorrow.

ChunkyCushionLover - I will hit you up on that offer soon.

reggie

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/13/2010 5:32:04 PM
Author: Roxie Bling

Not to confuse you anymore, but Leon Mege is now sourcing cushions for clients. I saw a mention of this on his site. Just thought I'd throw this in.

I would love to see a picture of one of the cushions he's sourced for a PS'er.

Glad you put that diamond on hold. With all the great press it has been getting in the forum, I nearly put it in hold myself, even though what I really want (think I want) is a modern 8 main pavilion cushion. I have something in the works for that, but I was tempted not to wait. Great choice!

Roxie Bling - Here is the cushion Leon originally sourced for me. 1.01 E VS2

leon 1.01.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results