shape
carat
color
clarity

Cushion Cuts

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

CushionMan

Rough_Rock
Thankfully, my girlfriend has given me guidelines for what she wants in a ring. She likes the cushion shape. I was told by one jeweler that I would be better off buying a box radiant because it will hold its value better than a cushion cut. I''m not sure if this is true (i seem to get a lot of contradictory advice). Does anyone have an opinion on this? I''m not really as concerned about it because my bottom line is to get her what she likes. I guess I am looking for reasurrance because I want to feel good about this purchase.

Also, I met with a jeweler (randomly, I did not get a reference for him - found him while i was wondering around, which may or may not be a good idea, i guess) who quoted me a seemingly good price for a 1.5ct cushion. He quoted $8,400 for a diamond with the attached cert. Everyone I spoke with told me to get a GIA cert, however this is an EGL (I don''t think its EGL USA either). Clearly, this has something to do with the supposedly good price I was offered. Any advice here? I understand that EGL certs can be off significantly. Should I request that he send it to GIA or another appraiser? Would a reasonable jeweler do this (given it will cost him $)?

thanks very much for your advice.

D08680_-_1_50_GVS2_Cush v2.JPG

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
definitely get your girlfriend what she wants she is the one that has to wear the ring after all and cushions are such a beautiful diamond. I *heart* them :) the well cut ones are amazing :) (radiants are also beautiful) As for the value I can''t help you there
7.gif
sorry

I have been advised by a couple of vendors locally that EGL certs are not worth the paper they are written on the colour and clarity grades can be way off up to 2-3 off. The EGL stones I have viewed have been terrible apparently you can get good ones but I would personally be really wary.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
With cushions you really really need pictures. Period. Unfortunately, based on the numbers, that cushion doesn't look like a winner right on the paper. But you never know until you see more.

As for the value comment, that is total BS. Run away from that vendor fast.

I would highly highly recommend running a search for cushions here on PS and learning all you can before you buy. Also, if you want a quick and easy way to a good stone, call Mark at Engagement Rings Direct. He is in the diamond district in NY and is regarded around here as the "Cushion King". He's awesome. Run a search for him as well and you'll see what I mean.

CushionMan

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the advice. Out of curiousity, do you work in the industry? Do you have any other recommendations (other than Mark)? Also, are there different types of cushions - brilliant/regular? Which specs in the cert are suspect?

thanks!

DMBsGirl

Brilliant_Rock
Definitely go to Engagement Rings Direct. Time and time again, they have found PS'ers AMAZING cushion cut stones. A search will show you the beautiful stones they source. Cushions are tricky and numbers alone can not tell you what the stone will look like. Mark at ERD knows how to pick them and because they are located in the NYC diamond district, they have access to LOTS of diamonds. I don't know what type of setting your girlfriend likes but they also make a gorgeous Harry Winston inspired micropave halo setting that is to die for! Good luck!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The other recommendation would be Good Old Gold. This one is larger than you want, but illustrates that Jonathan can pick great cushions, too! I'd buy this one in a minute if I had the money!

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/3608/

Closer to your parameters:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/2986/

But if you are looking at the Novo, you really need to look at the square hearts and arrows (cushion) at GOG.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamondResults.php?shape=32&resultsColumns=268435471

An example

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/2909/

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results