shape
carat
color
clarity

Cushion cut

Owies Nana

Shiny_Rock
Thoughts on this stone?

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=AGS-1040400870008

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/19/2010 12:24:00 AM
Author:Owies Nana
Thoughts on this stone?

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=AGS-1040400870008
Very interesting creation, still waiting for BGD to provide a customer with a video, really not sure how if it will perform around the edges without secondary lighting. As far as modified cushions go I'd like to see how it will perform in various lighting environments and looks promising enough to view in person. The optical symmetry and virtual facet pattern are really appealing to the eye.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thoughts on this stone?

It looks like a cushion with great potential, its very finely cut. I would discuss this stone with Brian if you are seriously interested in it and if it is the type of cushion you want ( for example a modern cushion compared to one with chunkier faceting).

With the stone being a K colour its probably going to show some warmth, is that ok with you? Brian will be in a better position to advise on this.

Owies Nana

Shiny_Rock
I''m calling about this stone today. What specific questions should I ask about it?

Owies Nana

Shiny_Rock
Oh, and I''m considering a traditional setting, perhaps four claw, but in yellow gold since the stone is a warm color.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ask him about the performance and behaviour of the stone, how does it compare to other cushions he has seen. Also looking at the ASET image, ask him about the edge to edge light return, in other words once the diamond doesn't have strong light driving it, does the stone light up well all over to include the edges.

Also check with him concerning the K colour, how much warmth does it show and if it does show warmth, how much does it show in plain daylight once the diamond is again away from any strong lighting.

The setting sounds good, I like yellow gold very much and a simple setting is always my preference to let the diamond be the star of the show.

Owies Nana

Shiny_Rock
Lorelei,

Thanks for your prompt reply. I''m not sure that the warmth in the color will bother me as I will be wearing it with a 2mm plain gold wedding band, but then again, sight unseen, who knows? I guess I can ask how white it faces up?

And assuming that the answers to the questions satisfy (I''ll post them here after I my phone call) that style setting do you think would best complement the shape of the stone? I am torn between a six prong tiffany style or four claws at the corners. Should I keep the head in white gold, or do it in yellow, since the stone definitely has color?

I do have some diamonds I could use to build a custom setting, but I am thinking it might be best to wear it plain for a while to determine what else I could do with it.

Any other ideas?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/25/2010 12:28:29 PM
Author: Owies Nana
Lorelei,

Thanks for your prompt reply. I''m not sure that the warmth in the color will bother me as I will be wearing it with a 2mm plain gold wedding band, but then again, sight unseen, who knows? I guess I can ask how white it faces up?

And assuming that the answers to the questions satisfy (I''ll post them here after I my phone call) that style setting do you think would best complement the shape of the stone? I am torn between a six prong tiffany style or four claws at the corners. Should I keep the head in white gold, or do it in yellow, since the stone definitely has color?

I do have some diamonds I could use to build a custom setting, but I am thinking it might be best to wear it plain for a while to determine what else I could do with it.

Any other ideas?
Thats fine, just wanted to make sure concerning any warmth the stone might show, if it doesn''t bother you thats fine but Brian will be able to give you a much better idea how the stone faces up colourwise.

For the setting, I would personally go for a solitaire with double split prongs or four corner prongs. My favourite look is for the double split prongs as it shows off the shape of the stone well.

You could also consider side baguettes with a solitaire setting with the split or 4 prongs.

Owies Nana

Shiny_Rock
I called Leslie; she was not available until 2pm EDT. I checked online to look one more time...and the stone is marked SOLD!!!!!!!!!!!!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
maybe they can get you a similar one? is that the one that Jax bought?

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/19/2010 12:39:18 AM
Author: ChunkyCushionLover

Thoughts on this stone?

Very interesting creation, still waiting for BGD to provide a customer with a video, really not sure how if it will perform around the edges without secondary lighting. As far as modified cushions go I''d like to see how it will perform in various lighting environments and looks promising enough to view in person. The optical symmetry and virtual facet pattern are really appealing to the eye.
I''m gettung a BGD cushion in a ring. Once I get it, I will try to take a video of the ring if that will help...

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/25/2010 1:44:25 PM
Author: slg47
Nope, mine is 0.61 K :D

Going in a three stone with pear sidestones. They are working on the CAD right now.

Owies Nana

Shiny_Rock
I have a three stone w/RBCs. I LOVE IT.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/25/2010 1:52:46 PM
Author: Jax172
Date: 5/25/2010 1:44:25 PM

Author: slg47

Nope, mine is 0.61 K :D

Going in a three stone with pear sidestones. They are working on the CAD right now.

OH ok...I knew you had just gotten a K cushion from BGD...can''t wait to see it!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/25/2010 1:39:50 PM
I called Leslie; she was not available until 2pm EDT. I checked online to look one more time...and the stone is marked SOLD!!!!!!!!!!!!
Maybe it is reserved for you? Call again and check.

Owies Nana

Shiny_Rock
I called: it''s definitely sold.

The stone is sold to the Australian buyer who had it on reserve a couple of days ago. It came off reserve; I contacted Leslie by email, and then got tied up for a day with clients. We exchanged a few emails and I told her I would call today when my client schedule was less hectic. When I did, she was not available. Just before calling at the designated time for my return call, I checked the online link, only to find that it was sold, which was confirmed when I called BGD.

So, I am still hunting for three stones. IF I could get everything I want, I would get a pair of blazing RB studs for my ears (3-4 tcw) AND a high performing cushion or old mine cut stone in the K-Q color range, obviously well cut and at least SI, in the 3-4 carat range for my finger to wear with my 2mm plain gold wedding band from 30 years ago. The BGD diamond I started with in this thread was appealing for the price... and obvious symmetry in the ASET photo. I have looked online at GOGs 4+carat N color AVC, but have not found any others anywhere else. I did find an M/N 3.47 OEC at a local jeweler that had no visible inclusions under a 10x loupe, but didn''t want to buy without an accurate understanding of what I was getting for the $$$$$s. It looked nice in the store and in natural light, but I don''t remember it blazing like a house on fire like some of the stones I''ve seen posted here.

Everything I read here is so helpful and informative, I cannot help but ask questions, the answers to which I deeply appreciate. So here is another question: has anyone seen an OMC or cushion like the one I am looking for? I know they are getting harder and harder to find....

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/25/2010 2:58:58 PM
I called: it''s definitely sold.

The stone is sold to the Australian buyer who had it on reserve a couple of days ago. It came off reserve; I contacted Leslie by email, and then got tied up for a day with clients. We exchanged a few emails and I told her I would call today when my client schedule was less hectic. When I did, she was not available. Just before calling at the designated time for my return call, I checked the online link, only to find that it was sold, which was confirmed when I called BGD.

So, I am still hunting for three stones. IF I could get everything I want, I would get a pair of blazing RB studs for my ears (3-4 tcw) AND a high performing cushion or old mine cut stone in the K-Q color range, obviously well cut and at least SI, in the 3-4 carat range for my finger to wear with my 2mm plain gold wedding band from 30 years ago. The BGD diamond I started with in this thread was appealing for the price... and obvious symmetry in the ASET photo. I have looked online at GOGs 4+carat N color AVC, but have not found any others anywhere else. I did find an M/N 3.47 OEC at a local jeweler that had no visible inclusions under a 10x loupe, but didn''t want to buy without an accurate understanding of what I was getting for the $$$$$s. It looked nice in the store and in natural light, but I don''t remember it blazing like a house on fire like some of the stones I''ve seen posted here.

Everything I read here is so helpful and informative, I cannot help but ask questions, the answers to which I deeply appreciate. So here is another question: has anyone seen an OMC or cushion like the one I am looking for? I know they are getting harder and harder to find....
The link you posted was of a 1 ct diamond, what budget do you have for this diamond and what size did you want I am puzzled
33.gif

Owies Nana

Shiny_Rock
While hunting for at BGD and Whiteflash for the diamonds for the studs I''ve been wanting (and asking about here on Pricescope), I saw the BGD cushion, and thought it was a great price for a stone of that size and apparent symmetry from the photos. So I asked for some feedback from Pricescopers and decided to pursue it for that reason: a seemingly great stone at a great price, to set in a four prong setting to go with my original wedding band from 30 years ago.

That notwithstanding, I have been continuing my search for my own 3-4tcw studs and gathering information about stones to choose, AND I am also looking for a 3-4 carat OMC, cushion or perhaps even an OEC, one of which I have the opportunity to buy from a local vendor in my hometown, but I need get some information about what a specs a well cut OEC should have and what I should look for to determine the quality of the cut, hence, I started a new thread asking about OECs. So, I guess my current threadcount is three: studs, cushion cut, and Getting to Know OECs.

Hope this clarifies things for you. .
9.gif
I don''t shop much, but when I do, I am a BIG shopper.
2.gif

loveloveloveit

Brilliant_Rock
Hi OwiesNana, I am that Australian buyer and am putting it in a very similar setting to what you were mentioning. I hadn''t been reading others posts so I hadn''t seen yours - sorry about that! I''ve been working on my DH to approve the budget for about a month and when he said yes I had to jump (before he changes his mind!). I will definitely post pics once it''s set. I''ve been looking for setting suggestions, but a plain 4 prong is going to be the answer, just sorting out the details. BGD had a similar stone about 2 months ago which I just missed out on between emailing and it takes a day to get an answer due to my location, so there will be more of them I''m sure.

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/25/2010 11:16:11 PM
While hunting for at BGD and Whiteflash for the diamonds for the studs I've been wanting (and asking about here on Pricescope), I saw the BGD cushion, and thought it was a great price for a stone of that size and apparent symmetry from the photos. So I asked for some feedback from Pricescopers and decided to pursue it for that reason: a seemingly great stone at a great price, to set in a four prong setting to go with my original wedding band from 30 years ago.

That notwithstanding, I have been continuing my search for my own 3-4tcw studs and gathering information about stones to choose, AND I am also looking for a 3-4 carat OMC, cushion or perhaps even an OEC, one of which I have the opportunity to buy from a local vendor in my hometown, but I need get some information about what a specs a well cut OEC should have and what I should look for to determine the quality of the cut, hence, I started a new thread asking about OECs. So, I guess my current threadcount is three: studs, cushion cut, and Getting to Know OECs.

Hope this clarifies things for you. .
9.gif
I don't shop much, but when I do, I am a BIG shopper.
2.gif
No numbers are going to be particularly useful. Getting an appraisal done by someone who is experienced with Antique cuts and who uses reflector technology (like idealscope or ASET) would be the best way to confnirm cut quality.
GOG features both an OEC and AVC modern reproduction with optimized light performance, they don't have the unique antique charm of the truly old stones, but are cut to optimize diamond beauty by optimizing light performance, you may consider speaking to Jon at GOG to see if one or the other could be cut or become available within your size and color preferences in mind.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results