shape
carat
color
clarity

Cushion Cut - how did I do? Please advise

kyrie

Rough_Rock
Hi, I just received my first diamond purchase and really want to know if it's a good buy or not. It was $19k.

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/2.04-carat-g-color-vs1-clarity-sku-3142565

My SO likes the square H&As but I haven't had any luck so now, I'm just looking for something that's not mushy and not the crushed ice look. I've been reading a lot but still unsure of how to tell what the ideal dimensions are.

I was going for at least VS2, H and 19k was my max budget for the diamond. Thank you.

Last edited:

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
GOG's cushion is obvious well cut, confirmed with light performance images. It is more expensive, partially, because of GOG's more flexbile trade-up and buy back policy ( and higher clarity)

Having that said, although no ASET/IS, your JA's cushion is equally beautiful IMHO. I like it alot. I don't see any mushyness under the table and facets are crisp and well defined. Light reflection is chunky and symmetric. Lovely

Last edited:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ask JA if they can get you an ASET image on your stone when it comes in. It should be fine but it is an extra piece of info that is nice to have.

The GOG stone is lovely and more of the faceting pattern that you were after. It has very nice light return...only you can decide if its worth
the extra cost (take into account whether the added benefits mentioned above...trade up and buy back.)

kyrie

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the responses, flyingpig and tyty333. I've requested for an ASET on the JA stone and will post it here once they email it to me (within 24 hours).

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Digressing a little,

The JA cushion reminds me of a branded model ... that I cannot not remember the name of. It might have been a precursor of the square H&A, in fact - back in the day when folks were trying to make these trully square. These ought to have been talked on Pricescope - where else. Not that any of this matters ...

If I am right, the ASET should be fabulous !

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't see the GOG video on my iPhone at the moment, but I love the JA one!

drk14

Brilliant_Rock
I think you did great... no need to second-guess your purchase.

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Not an expert, just a fellow cushion lover.

I think that you did great! I think that you picked a beautiful diamond with overall great performance. You will loose some light at the 12,3,6,9 on the crown, but I still think that it will perform well in RL conditions. Lots of contrast shown, but the video doesn't appear to have any spots that stay off. I really like it

On that note, the GOG diamond is very pretty with good performance. Personally I prefer the diamond that you purchased because to me the H&A cushions don't read like a cushion, they have a different kind of sparkle and in most diamonds will read like a MRB. Many, many years ago when we got engaged the jeweler showed me a 1ct cushion with a similar shape to the GOG stone and (no offense to anyone, I know there are many that love the H&A cushions, but at that size it just looked like a smooshed round brilliant). It was a good stone and had tons of brilliance, but just felt like someone took a round and chopped the sides off. Whereas the 4/6 mains feel like they are supposed to be that way, it is a completely different look, if that makes any sense. I thought that I didn't like cushions because of this experience, until years later when I saw an elongated cushion - then I found the chunky cuts and it was a done deal.:love:

It seems that your SO prefers that look and given their great upgrade policy, it is certainly something to consider. I would just be sure that she has seen a few in real life and in a setting similar to what she intends her ring style to be. I think that they would look amazing in a cushion halo.

Best of luck and congratulations on your upcoming engagement! Be sure to post some pics when the ring is complete.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's gorgeous based on both the video and the ASET! Bright red throughout the stone which means strong light return. I think you did excellent and wouldn't second guess yourself!

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
breathtaking... really.. one of top cushion cuts I have seen

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone! Here's the ASET. Please let me know what you guys think :)
3142565.jpg
Ok, I'm having some sort of senior moment...

white = leakage
Red = direct reflection
Green = reflection of light from the sides
Blue = obstruction? so not an issue when viewing from a distance?
Black = ...??

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think black is still obstruction (high angle), area that is not covered by the blue portion of the scope.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Of course, that would make sense! Apologies for the daft question.

It is a great ASET, though :)

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not a cushion expert (or other cut, for that matter) by any means, but I really love that JA stone -- it's a gorgeous cushion!! Congrats!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh. Wow! That is gorgeous :love: (and, yes, taking photos is difficult.)

When do you pop the question? We want hand shots too!!

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Congratulations!

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have been waiting.. lovely

aac2013

Shiny_Rock
Really a beauty!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Spectacular ring!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful! You did a great job!

ratatat

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I am no expert but that is one of the nicest cushions I have seen. Looks really good :clap:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results