shape
carat
color
clarity

Cushion Brilliant vs Round Brilliant ??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

SARBEAR80

Rough_Rock
My boyfriend has asked me to pick my ring. Not the diamond, but the setting and the cut of the stone. I need some help. I am completely against a "trendy" choice but I want lots of sparkle and something to call my own, unique so to speak. I love the brilliance of the round but the size of the cushion and the appearance of the cusion on my hand has me captivated.

1) Is the cusion cut a "trendy" choice?
2) The Brilliant Cushion has me interested, any thoughts? Where could I try this diamond in Dallas, TX or Washington, DC?
3) Any thoughts on the ideal cushion cut setting?

All input and thoughts are much appreciated!

Thanks!

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I think everyone has there preferences on style of stone. The best thing to do is compare them and see what you like.

One resourse I looked at when making my decision was Good Old Gold's videos. Click here for a video comparing a vintage style cushion to a H&A round brilliant. I would look though the other videos, which are here to see if you can find a video comparing a round brilliant to a modern cushion.

I don't know if any vendors in Dallas, but Brian Gavin has started selling cushion brilliants, and he is in Huston. Here is his website http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/ and you can click on his blog to see pictures of his recent work.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I wouldn't say cushions are a trendy choice. They have been around for so long - see old mine cushions. Cushions have a large fan base on PS (including myself).

hihowareyou

Shiny_Rock
Trade
If you browse these forums there is a bit of hype around cushions at the moment, particularly the vintage ones. In the ''real world'' though round brilliants and princess cuts certainly dominate.

At the end of the day I would just go with what you like and forget what everyone else is getting or what is ''trendy''. You are only making a trendy choice if you buy something you don''t really like because everyone else seems to have one. If you happen to love what is popular at the time so be it :)

A well cut cushion brilliant will be beautiful. There are a lot of duds out there though. You''ve come to the right place if you want help finding a winner though.

makemepretty

Brilliant_Rock
I think cushions are my favorite in shape but I went with a round for a few reasons: they''re classic and a six prong setting is lovely, they tend to face up bigger than cushions, have read they sparkle a bit more and show less body color.

I think the cushion is a timeless shape too and there''s just something old fashioned about them. I adore them. I think the sparkle would be different than a round but not really less(I had baguette rings that sparkled to me), it''s mostly that I know I have a slightly bigger size for my buck and could get away with a lower color and still not be able to tell. Now, if I win the lottery and can afford to buy a larger size, near colorless cushion...I so would.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with Makemepretty. I went with a round for the same reason. I wanted the sparkliest stone. I love cushions but I wanted to make sure that my stone faced up
in size equal with it''s carat weight. Sometimes, that doesn''t happen with a cushion because there can be more weight in the depth. Also, I think it is harder to determine
if it is a well performing stone. Sometimes, my eyes can be deceiving. It is much easier with a round to predict by specs as well as what you see with your eyes.

I also love a round in a cushion shaped halo, and have been tossing that idea around myself. Good luck. The most important thing is that you love your stone, whatever
you decide. Specs aren''t as important as the fact that when you look at it, you love it.

I would check with Brian. He will help you pick a perfect cushion if you decide that is what you want.

mnice

Rough_Rock
I agree with round halo lovers anwer. If you look at my recent "opinions on this setting" I am planning on getting a round with a cushion halo. only because I LOVE rounds, but wanted something a little different. Although the setting is rather expensive if I decided to change it, it is less than if I went with a cushion and wanted to change the stone later -

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Although Cushions face up smaller than rounds, they are also cheaper per carat. As a result, you can buy a larger ct size and probably end up with roughly the same face up size.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
I think rounds in cushion shaped halos are lovely!

bebe

Ideal_Rock
I have a cushion and I''m seriously considering a round - why - ?

Size - the round faces up larger

Perfection is easier achieved in my eyes - I will know I have the best cut, the best fire and sparkle, the crisp defined facets....

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/10/2010 1:15:02 PM
Author: bebe
I have a cushion and I''m seriously considering a round - why - ?

Size - the round faces up larger

Perfection is easier achieved in my eyes - I will know I have the best cut, the best fire and sparkle, the crisp defined facets....

Don''t forget a round cut diamond also cost more per carat than a cushion. If you use that extra cost towards a higher carat cushion ... you end up with similar face up size.

DrJuju

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/9/2010 8:45:26 PM
Author:SARBEAR80
My boyfriend has asked me to pick my ring. Not the diamond, but the setting and the cut of the stone. I need some help. I am completely against a ''trendy'' choice but I want lots of sparkle and something to call my own, unique so to speak. I love the brilliance of the round but the size of the cushion and the appearance of the cusion on my hand has me captivated.

1) Is the cusion cut a ''trendy'' choice?

2) The Brilliant Cushion has me interested, any thoughts? Where could I try this diamond in Dallas, TX or Washington, DC?

3) Any thoughts on the ideal cushion cut setting?

All input and thoughts are much appreciated!

Thanks!

Sarbear-
I think the cushion is absolutely timeless and gorgeous. IMHO- they are not trendy, but unique and stunning. If face up size is a concern, then true you may get more out of a RB, but I think the cushion is much more unique and even looks more expensive to me!!
31.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results