shape
carat
color
clarity

Cushion Brilliant, 2.01, 1.10 ratio, G, VS2, VG Polish, Good Symm for $17.3K -- Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Blinginator

Rough_Rock
Here are the stats:
Carat: 2.01
Color: G
Clarity: VS2
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Good
Depth: 66.7%
Table: 54%
Length/Width Ratio: 1.10
Girdle: very Thin to Slightly Thick (it's very thin in only a very minute spot that shouldn't be a problem)
Fluorescence: None
Culet: Medium
Measurements: 7.95 x 7.22 x 4.83
Facets: 8 with the chunky, antique cut (I wanted the chunky flashes)
Price: $17.3k

Here are my comments/questions to fellow pricescopers:

--I have been assured that the very thin girdle is very, very minor and not in an area I should be worried about.

--It's a spot on VS2, so it's not leaning closer to VS1 or SI1.

--The length to width ratio of 1.10 is less rectangular than I want (I was really hoping for 1.14 - 1.16). I really like the more rectangular look that's not too rectangular (in my opinion too rectangular would be 1.19 and above), and I'm not too fond of anything that's too square or close to square.

--I thought a 1.7 would be the prefect size because that's what the GF tried on in Tiffany's. So is this 2.01 too big or should I be fine? Ring size is 4.5.

--Culet is medium. I didn't want any culet but will this even be noticeable with the plain eye? I forgot to ask my friend to look at that.

--Are my parameters (below) really tough? Have I filtered my choice into a very small subset? I'm hoping to propose in the Spring and wanted to know whether I might have more time to look or if I should just settle on this. The antique cut cushions are hard to come by right?

--Is this a good deal?

And here are my original parameters:
Shape: Cushion
Carat: 1.6 - 2.0 (ideally a 1.7 or 1.8)
Color: D - G (would consider going to H in color if everything else on the diamond meets my needs)
Clarity: IF - VS1 (would consider a VS2 if everything else on the diamond meets my needs)
Certificate: Any
Table: ?
Depth: ?
Polish: VG or higher
Symmetry: VG or higher
Culet: None to very small (prefer none vs very small)
Flourescence: ?
Ratio: 1.12 - 1.18 (ideally a 1.14-1.16)
Price: 15,000 - 20,000 (ideally around $18k)
Other/Notes: I like the chunky flashes.

Note: I should be getting images of the diamond later today.

Blinginator

Rough_Rock
GIA image attached.

untitled34234.JPG

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That will be really helpful when you get the images and post them. I would check if the culet is visible or not, medium I would think is not visible but best to check to be sure. Personally I think 2 carats can be a great size and should be fine, cushions can hold their weight differently and as you get into the larger weights size differences are less noticable so if she liked the 1.7, good chance she will be fine with 2 cts. Pricing, is the diamond with an online vendor or store jeweller? Online prices are usually less.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
I can''t comment on the stone''s attributes because I am not knowledgeable about this sort of thing but I just wanted to say that I am the owner of an 8-main pavilion cushion (I believe that is what you have posted, right?) and I LOVE it. I think your girlfriend will too. Mine is 1 carat (perfect 1:1 ratio) and it definitely looks bigger than a 1 carat stone to me and my fingers are bigger than hers. I feel like this stone was the best choice for me because I was torn between the vintage look of a cushion and the sparkle of a RB. This cut really is the best of both worlds!

Good luck with your search.

Blinginator

Rough_Rock
It''s in the NYC Diamond district.

pixley

Brilliant_Rock

Yes, please post pictures when you can!

Your parameters are pretty narrow for the 8 pavilion main, old fashioned style cushions, but the compromises you listed (VS2 clarity, medium culet, good symmetry and slightly lower L/W ratio) are ones that I would put aside if the stone was right in every other aspect.

VS2 - wouldn''t bother me as long as it was eyeclean and the inclusions don''t pose any structural issues.
Culet - "medium" is not very big at all, and would probably enhance the old-style appeal of this type of cut - the culet on mine is small, but I often wish it was medium or even slightly large.
Good symmetry - I got hung up on this as well, but have seen SO MANY awesome antique style cushions on here with "Good" symmetry grades, that I see it as one thing to put aside and let your eyes/heart make that call.
Size - I don''t think there is no such thing as "too big" when it comes to cushions. Speaking as someone who wears a size 4.25 - a 2 carat cushion would be positively DREAMY to have.

Have you seen this stone yet or are you working with a good vendor?

Blinginator

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your opinion/comments pixley!

I haven''t looked at it in person and probably won''t get a chance to, but I do have a friend who''s eyes are my proxy
26.gif

The vendor I am working with is very reliable.

I can get really picky/detail-oriented when it comes to shopping and am a major comparison shopper, so both price and quality (in terms of my parameters) is very important to me. But I do realize that my search is very narrow and so I''m willing to make some compromises. I just hope they are the right ones.

pixley

Brilliant_Rock
Blinginator,
35.gif

Would they be able to send you a better photo with the table in a more parallel position relative to the camera lens? It''s hard to judge the symmetry and facet patterns from this photo. I know you wanted a really clean stone as well. I can see the inclusions at this magnification and would want to make sure that they aren''t going to bug you. I do like the shape of the cushion, though - it has a lovely outline and I like the culet facet on it. It''s great that you have a friend that can view it in person for you.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
If I am guessing the vendor correctly, I don''t think the photo will get any better. I think the stone is pretty.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/12/2009 11:46:16 PM
Author: CharmyPoo
If I am guessing the vendor correctly, I don''t think the photo will get any better. I think the stone is pretty.
Ditto. Just make sure it is eyeclean to your standards - I like it!

Blinginator

Rough_Rock
What other images should I request besides the one that pixley advised above?

Thank you again for everyone''s opinions/comments!

pixley

Brilliant_Rock
Ahh, if this is from ERD, then that would explain the photo quality.
41.gif
If it brings you some peace of mind, ask for a better photo and ask about the clarity, but truthfully, I can''t recall any bad cushions coming out of his shop. It looks like this one will have a nice high crown as well.

Blinginator

Rough_Rock
Overall value, is this pretty good?

I just don't want to jump the gun with such a large purchase since I really only started looking at diamonds in person late last month.

Mark explained over the phone that my parameters are tough and that I would need more time, but I'm hoping to propose in the Spring. I told Mark that it's more important for me to find the right diamond vs my own deadline of mid-Feb to find a diamond. I thought that would be enough time, but maybe it's not?

At the same time, I wouldn't want to miss out on diamond if it is a good value and will meet my needs of eyeclean clarity, good cut and symmetrical.

Another question, are independent appraisals a necessary step with a purchase from ERD? Thoughts?

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I am going to see Mark on Friday. If you let me know your name or let Mark know that a girl seeing him at noon will take photos for you - see if he is ok with that. I am also bringing an idealscope and aset scope so I can try to get some images for you.

Blinginator

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/13/2009 5:04:09 PM
Author: CharmyPoo
I am going to see Mark on Friday. If you let me know your name or let Mark know that a girl seeing him at noon will take photos for you - see if he is ok with that. I am also bringing an idealscope and aset scope so I can try to get some images for you.

How do I get in contact with you CharmyPoo when there''s no private messaging?

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
It will have to be through this thread unfortunately. Or if you email Mark and tell Mark to provide me with your contact information. He should be able to identify me as the girl seeing him on Friday at noon.

Blinginator

Rough_Rock
I asked Mark to send a long my email address to you and the idea of having you take a look. Hopefully we''ll be in contact soon. Thanks CharmyPoo!

Blinginator

Rough_Rock
Hey Charmy,

Did Mark send along my info? Just want to make sure.

Rock_of_Love

Brilliant_Rock
Blinginator / CharmyPoo...I''m gonna try again with posting this cert...I tried in the other topic. I resized it, hope this works!

Attachments

• OMC ttt.jpeg
    85 KB · Views: 804

Rock_of_Love

Brilliant_Rock
Aaarrrgh!! Forget it! Well, you got the specs in the other post if interested...Good Luck!!
9.gif

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
No - nothing from Mark yet. Try to remind him. If not, I will ask him tomorrow.

Blinginator

Rough_Rock
I''ll remind him.

Also, I read a lot of posts about bow ties on cushions. Is that a bad sign or just personal preference? Does bow tie affect light, brilliance and fire?

sillysweetie

Rough_Rock
Mark''s photos remind me of dasman08''s stone (also from Mark):

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/help-me-pick-my-cushion.92645/

Note how beautiful it finally turned out.
30.gif

pixley

Brilliant_Rock
Ooh, Sillysweetie - I love dasman''s cushion; it''s such a beauty!

CharmyPoo - How did it go today? - Any reviews on Blinginator''s and your cushions at ERD?

Blinginator

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/16/2009 1:31:26 PM
Author: pixley

CharmyPoo - How did it go today? - Any reviews on Blinginator''s and your cushions at ERD?

I just spoke to CharmyPoo and Mark. Charmy said it looks really sparkly and the culet wasn''t very noticeable at all in Mark''s office becasue of the lighting. She said the symmetry also looks great and that it shows up really white (and she''s been looking at D''s!). I''m really excited to have gotten a second opinion from a fellow PS''er! I love this forum and wouldn''t know what I would have done without all of your help!

I just have a few more questions with Mark regarding the very thin facets, the natural and the feathers--from there I should be able to make my final decision.
36.gif

Rock_of_Love

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/16/2009 1:31:26 PM
Author: pixley

Yes, CharmyPoo, do tell!! Tell us about all the lovely cushions!! I''m seeing him in a week - Thurs or Fri - and I can''t wait!! So, if either you or Blinginagtor need another set of eyes, I''d love to take a look!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How absolutely perfect that Charmy was able to see this stone for you!
36.gif
I would have been afraid to buy it from that picture because I need to see the symmetry better.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I have to be honest that I was more concerned about my diamonds :razz: and spent more time on mine. Mark had to head out so I wanted to respect his time. I took up so much of his time there. He is so much fun and so is Gary.

The diamond was so sparkly (more than the two I was considering) and had a very nice shape. It was a lot whiter than my current G diamond. I didn't notice any symmetry issues but must admit I have to examine the photos more. I know what you mean in the photos but it wasn't noticeable in real life as the sparkle really hid anything. I think you should post more photos on this thread so the experts can help you judge. I am a newbie and can really only make the call on what appeals to me or not. I could see the culet but it was barely noticeable and doesn't take away from the beauty of the diamond. I think I have good eyes though (more than the average person).

I took a bunch of photos but they don't reflect the beauty of the diamond in real life. I tried a video too and it turned out all fuzzy. Mark also took a couple more while we were there - maybe his turned out better than mine. I also took idealscope and aset scope images. I think a lot of this is personal perference and I can't make the call (I am afraid of the responsiblity).

I am sure your lady will be happy with this stone. I know I would be!

Side note: I haven't decided about my stone yet but don't want to thread jack. I am worried someone will sntch it up while I am trying to make up my mind. Apparantly, there has been PSers who saw my post and wanted the diamond but Mark is great and holding it for me for a little more.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results