shape
carat
color
clarity

Cruises?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
So... talk to me about cruises.

The good and the bad and what recommendations for destinations and for cruise-lines.

TIA!

April20

Ideal_Rock
Personally, i am not a big fan of cruises and have only been on two-one 20 years ago and one 5.5 years ago. The one 5.5 years ago was to the Hawaiian islands and then repositioned to Vancouver for summer Alaskan cruises. It was 10 days and a good price as it was a repositioning cruise. BUT, it was in April and after 5 days of the islands, it went into open water to Vancouver. The first day was warm, but by day 2 it was COLD!! Had to spend the rest of it inside. So dont do a cruise with lots of days "at sea" when it's still dicey weather!

My main issue with cruises is all the extras that cost. For that reason, I'm more of an all inclusive gal.

HOWEVER, my in-laws are BIG cruisers. My MIL is like a shark when it comes to good deals. She will not do any cruise without a suite and a balcony. And she does not pay primo for this. They have done the caribbean, Mexico, Mediteranean, Italy and who knows what else. I dont think there's ever been a destination or route she didn't like. Basically, she will research a cruise that she finds interesting and wait until it's maybe a month to six weeks from departure (sometimes as little as 3 weeks!). She then calls the cruise line direct and straight out asks then about the occupancy on the cruise and what deal they will make her. Granted, if you feel the need to plan long range this does not work, but she has gotten some insane deals. I think the last time she did this, she paid about 40% of what she would have otherwise. They LOVE cruises and go at least once a year.

I think my inlaws prefer Princess. I dont think they liked Norwegian, but I cant remember why.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ours doesn't even really count but still..we were on a boat in the ocean so..a real cruise will probably be way different.

We were given a "cruise" as part of a time share thing we did for our honeymoon..( :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ehhh what did I know?) We thought the ship was big..until we got to Nassau and realized it was about the size of the Disney cruise dinghy..we docked next to it, and everyone was looking at each other like Awww we got hosed. Being on the water was fun. Spent a lot of time at the front of the ship on top, just standing and feeling the wind and staring at the ocean. (I was looking for sharks) We had assigned seating and sat w/two other couples who were really nice, even hung out w/one of the couples later and went out for drinks.

I think it would have been more enjoyable had there been more things to do-no water in the pool and it was like 10x10, the "gym" was a couple exercise bikes, and when we were docked and able to leave, we only had a super short amount of time to do anything before we had to be back. We did get to go to their "private island" by boat, I don't know what type of boat tho, and that was fun..nice people and we could swim in a lagoon deal that had been netted off, or on the other side where they had a big cabana deal w/lunch and hammocks in the trees, and could swim out in the ocean.

From that experience, we both really want to go on a "real" cruise..as lame as ours was, we both love being on the water and can only imagine how much cooler it would be on a big ship. The food was wonderful and we were eating all the time, seemed like. Even tho it was "all inclusive" they nailed us the first night for water of all things. And then once we'd spent $10 for bottled water and went clear around the deck to sit and eat, we saw the "all inclusive" drinks out in the boonies. That's something to be mindful of.

If you meet cool people, get their contact info. We said our good bye's to the couples we sat w/, and right before we got off, one of the wives ran up to give us her card..we thought that was so nice but never followed up. Now of course, I'm in contact w/all kinds of people I don't "know" so I'd be a lot more apt to reach out and maybe make some new friends. The other couple we went out for drinks w/was from Buffalo and that's all I remember.

asscher_girl

Brilliant_Rock
Not a big fan of cruises at all. My family had the idea to do a family reunion in Texas and then go on a cruise. We had about 30 people at the reunion in TX and then about 15 us went on the cruise. I had been on 2 cruises before this one, my hubby none. I really just went so I could spend time w/ my family that I rarely see and plus DH wanted to try out cruising.

First of all it feels like a cattle call getting on the ship, standing in long lines getting moved this way and that way. Then on board, every meal, tons of people moving about from one restaurant to the next. And you typically only get 8 hours at each port which just isn't enough time to enjoy the destinations and explore, or enjoy the culture.

Now if you go on a small high end cruise that's a different story, but also a whole lot pricier.

For me, I would rather stay at a nice hotel/resort on an island where I can explore, beach it, check out other areas/ restaurants/ etc without being stuck on a ship for a week.

If you need other vacation ideas, I'm happy to help :bigsmile:

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would much rather spend my vacation time doing anything other than a cruise, so know that before you read on. :bigsmile:

I've been on a cheesy Carnival cruise to Mexico in my twenties, and a posh, smaller cruise around the Greek Islands.

The good: You don't have to do much thinking. Everything is planned for you.

The bad: All of the things that are provided are pretty much mediocre, at best. Terrible, at normal.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
the only cruise i'd consider would be one of the longer river boat cruises in europe.....

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
DH refuses to go on a cruise -- what you folks say confirms his opinions.

I have a friend who does expensive ones with lecturers & museum guys on board. Last summer she went to Russia, cruised from somewhere to St. Petersburg & it sounded wonderful. A private visit to the Hermitage w/experts to explain stuff, meetings at palaces with professors to guide & enlighten. They slept on the boat, for which she was thankful. Must have been a great experience, if you can afford it.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1318781413|3041492 said:
DH refuses to go on a cruise -- what you folks say confirms his opinions.

I have a friend who does expensive ones with lecturers & museum guys on board. Last summer she went to Russia, cruised from somewhere to St. Petersburg & it sounded wonderful. A private visit to the Hermitage w/experts to explain stuff, meetings at palaces with professors to guide & enlighten. They slept on the boat, for which she was thankful. Must have been a great experience, if you can afford it.
This sounds like a cruise of a different color! :cheeky:

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've never been on a cruise but a coworker has and she loves them. I'll check tomorrow what cruise line she and her family went with (I think it might have been Princess but I'm not sure). One thing my coworker said when she returned from her last one in the spring was that she loved being able to see many places in one vacation. She also loved that everything was planned for her and she could just relax on the ship. The constant availability of food (and maybe drinks?) was something she loved. That could be a plus or a negative, depending on how you look at it. She also thought there was plenty to do on the ship if it rained one day and/or if there was a destination she didn't want to explore all day.

I've been hesitant to go on a cruise, mostly because:

- With limited time at each port, I'd be keeping an eye on the time the whole day we were exploring. That doesn't sound too relaxing.

- I get motion sick very easily. I've heard that you don't really feel the rocking since the ships are so big, but I don't want to take that chance. Once you're out to sea, you're kind of stuck and that makes me nervous.

- I like planning my own vacations and destinations.

Okie_girl

Shiny_Rock
I've only been on one cruise, so I am by no means an expert, but I will share my experience. I went on an Alaska cruise, and LOVED IT! I think what I loved most was seeing Alaska, but the cruise part wasn't bad, either. We took the Inside Passage cruise, which left from Seattle, and went to Ketchikan, Juneau, Sitka, and Victoria, BC. The downside is that you really don't have much time to explore in any one place. The upside is that you get to see several places in a relatively short amount of time. Alaska is amazingly beautiful, I would go back in a heartbeat!

Ours was a Holland America cruise. I really can't compare, since that was my only experience, but it seemed pretty decent to me. The ship was nice, I think it had recently been refurbished. Lots of activities on the ship, if you are into that sort of thing. At first, the food seemed pretty good, but by the end of the week, it was so-so. Not bad, but not great. Service was excellent. I think Holland tends to cater more to the "older" crowd, so not a lot going on for children, if that's a concern of yours.

Excursions in ports of call run from not very expensive, to pretty high dollar, but of course, you can pick and choose what you want to do. We did excursions in some ports, in others, just poked around on our own. In Sitka, we had prearranged for a private excursion, a boat that took us to St. Lazaria Island to see the puffins! That was amazing. Saw all kinds of sea birds, sea otters, whales, etc.

One "at sea" day was cruising Glacier Bay, which was all kinds of awesome. That was the only day I was really cold (this was in late May/early June), but it was worth it to freeze.

I would definitely recommend getting a room with a balcony. Yes, a little more expensive, but well worth it to me to have our own outside space. I would also recommend purchasing a travel book when you decide on your destination, that way you can plan your own activities.

My 2 cents, for what it's worth!

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
MY grandmother took up on a Holland America cruise two years ago. It was fun as our whole family was there. We had rooms with balconies which made a HUGE difference. The food was good, the onboard spa was fantastic:), yoga and pilates were very nice, we were on the boat for 10 days and that was definitely long enough (we might have preferred 7 days).

It was great to see so many spots in the Carribean and South America

I prefer to spend more time in less locations, but since it was a treat from Nana and since we had never been any of these places, it was a nice intro.

Onboard I mostly just hung out with my brothers and other family members. The entertainment is pretty cheesy (but I'm a classically trained musician, so I'm a bit picky about that:). There is food everywhere, all the time. We didn't do any shopping or any onboard activities other than the pool, spa (my fave), and yoga/pilates. The shore excursions add up in price, but were super fun. My fave excursions were ziplining through the jungle in Costa Rica and going to a native Indian village in Panama where we bought crafts and were fed homemade lunch (fish that were caught and fried while we were there and plantains).

If I were planning the vacation, I would probably rather just spend a week in Greece with a short cruise through the Greek Isles, but the cruise was very fun in its own way and a fantastic family memory.

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
I think you're either a "cruise person" or you're not, there isn't much in-between. I have a friend who LOVES cruises, she and FI go every chance they get (they're even getting married on one). My DH and I, on the other hand, are not cruise people. We love being on sailboats, but the giant ships with rigid itineraries and ice rinks and boozed-up people hold no allure for us. Also, I went on a Carnival cruise when I was younger and was treated quite badly, so I vowed never to give them my business again. I would still consider doing an Alaskan cruise for the scenery, and when I was in Norway I went on the ship that cruises the fjords for just one day, which was nice. But overall, if I wanted a vacation where I didn't really have to think or plan or do anything other than relax, I'd personally choose an all-inclusive resort over a cruise.

Saoirse2

Shiny_Rock
Some hate them, some love them. 
For now, I like them because I have a small child and it's nice to pack once w/o train/bus tickets and long lines ;))
Size matters, SMALL vessels carry a few hundred people, they visit smaller/unusual shorelines, all inclusive, no assigned dining time, no tipping, you sit where you want, transportation into town is free and they actually have talented people working.
We just came back from a 14 day trip to the Mediterranean Sea [Seabourn] we snorkeled, kayaked and water skied right from the ship's built-in marina, they also arranged massages, braiding, babysitting and beach parties on most islands.
Alaska is indeed a great place to visit, I would take any crowded boat with bad food for a sled dog mushing in Skagway.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We did a 10 day Med cruise with Disney last Sept "10. First cruise and LOVED it! Got off during the day and saw AWESOME stuff and then dinner and entertainment was waiting when we got back on board. Another thing I liked was I felt like I was "home" at night. I just came back from a 3 week land tour of Europe and every night at the hotel I felt like I was a foreigner. The ship just felt like "American" territory. Did a second Dis cruise in Dec '10 to the Caribbean since we had such a good time on the first one. We are now looking for another Dis cruise to take this winter to get away from the Chicago snow! (BTW, we cruise during school busy periods so we rarely run into many kids on DCL)

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
I've been on two cruises, both as a tween/teen with my family.

We took a Norwegian Cruise Lines cruise to Alaska when I was 11. 7 nights on board up the Inside Passage (R/T Vancouver) with stops in Skagway/Haines, Juneau, and Ketchikan, as well as Mendenhall Glacier. We had an AMAZING time. I was a very mature 11-year-old, so I opted out of most of the kids club things in favor of reading up on the sites, whale watching from the boat, or swimming in the heated pools. We did excursions in Skagway (a train through gold rush territory) and Ketchikan (trip to the Tlingit reservation) and just wandered Juneau on our own. I remember really enjoying the food (I was a foodie even at 11!) and the service was TOP NOTCH, especially when my sister got super sea-sick.

When I was 15 we did a Disney Cruiseline Package, just after they'd launched the boats. We did 3 nights at WDW and then boarded the boat for a 4-night Caribbean cruise. They had a ton of activites for teens (including an on-board teens-only coffee house) and a met a few kids the first day that I kept in touch with for a year or two after the cruise. I remember enjoying the food and the boat activities. We snorkeled at one of the destinations, and also enjoyed Disney's Private Island.

I'd love to do a cruise again as an adult and see if I still enjoy them. Especially one of the better lines. And get a balcony, too!

janlwf

Rough_Rock
My husband and I went on an eastern carribean cruise last April on Celebrity. We loved it so much and got a great deal. About 14 days before the ship was ready to sail, we were able to get Aqua class cabins with balcony for $599 each for a 7 night!! Amazing deal really, since we had access to a speciality resturant called "Blu" without the additional charge or we could make reservations at the standard dining room. The ship had lots of places to eat/drink and lots of activities for at sea days.

The room was modular and small but the balcony made it so much better. We would "dress" for dinner every night, wines were already paired with the dinner menu, entertainment at the theatre every night, a nightime walk out on the deck and bring a glass of wine back to our room to sit out on the balcony and watch the other ships pass in the night...amazing...

Shopping and excursions were fabulous, we snorkled in St. Martin in the morning and then spent the afternoon shopping and having lunch on the beach, drinking local beer and looking at the Carribean sea. Loved it!

St. Thomas had Blackbeards Castle and great shopping too, high end jewellery stores galore, almost forgot my PS education and bought diamond stud earrings but in the end my husband promised I could get a memento for our trip from a PS vendor when we got home...

San Juan was a beautiful stop as well, the history and culture there was lovely, the only downside was that the day was hot and humid and it started to rain around 3:00 in the afternoon so we left a little early to return to the ship.

We are cruise converts forever!

basil

Brilliant_Rock
We did a cruise for our honeymoon. Initially I was against it, since I didn't think of myself as a "cruise person". I'm not very social and I don't like hokey things and I'm pretty independent. But neither DH or I had the energy to plan something big during wedding planning, and the cruise left out of Boston the day after our RI wedding, so it was super easy and convenient. We went to the eastern part of Canada, which was nice cause we aren't "beach people" either.

I had SO much fun.

OK, so it wasn't the best food I ever ate. But it was decent. We dressed up every night even though it wasn't required (Norweigan). We got champagne and strawberries TWICE for being newlyweds. We got off the boat first thing every time we docked and were some of the last people back on the boat. We organized one excursion ourselves (kayaking) and did a bus tour at another site. Otherwise, we just headed out on our own. A day wouldn't be long enough to explore bigger cities, but I think it was fine for small cities (i.e. Halifax).

We have a 2 month old now, and our next cruise in a year or two will be one of the Alaska ones. We'll bring family along to babysit :)

wakingdreams53

Brilliant_Rock
Loved cruising, but kinda not worth it without a balcony.
Went in '06 to the Southern Caribbean with Royal Caribbean. If you like staying in one place, cruising isn't for you.
If you like traveling, waking up early to get the most out of the place you're docked, and then are excited for the next place you'll adventure, then it's a hoot.
Food was phenomenal, service was great, entertainment was awesome and the room was perfect.
We left from San Juan, Puerto Rico and our cruise only left in the evening, our flight came in the afternoon and we got to explore! PR is a US territory, so no customs, which was great. There was a kite festival and I'll never forget it for the rest of my life.
Truly phenomenal experience.

Week cruise which went to Aruba, St. Thomas, Curacao, St. Marten, and somewhere else that I clearly don't remember haha.

So definitely FOR cruising :). But I'd also go someplace exotic and explore it as well.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
We've done a number of cruises. I can't say that I like sailing on the big ships all that much, but we have really enjoyed the smaller more luxurious ships of Seabourn and Regent Seven Seas. These ships offer larger cabins, no crowds, and more staff members per passenger. The night life might not be exciting enough for younger party people or families traveling together, but it is a nice way to travel for couples.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lots of great advice. I think we're going to try it. I'm going to share your thoughts with DH so if you have more to post I'd love to read it! THANK YOU!

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Sundial|1318815368|3041738 said:
We've done a number of cruises. I can't say that I like sailing on the big ships all that much, but we have really enjoyed the smaller more luxurious ships of Seabourn and Regent Seven Seas. These ships offer larger cabins, no crowds, and more staff members per passenger. The night life might not be exciting enough for younger party people or families traveling together, but it is a nice way to travel for couples.

Sundial...I had never heard of these companies before. I will certainly be looking into them for the future! DH and I aren't really nightlife people, and truth-be-told, we're a bit picky when it comes to accommodations! I perused a few itineraries and it appears they're not much for "at sea" days, which would please both of us! Thanks for the heads up!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would consider a Disney cruise with the kid.

But without her, as long as I was mobile, healthy and had a working brain...er, no.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1318876478|3042110 said:
I would consider a Disney cruise with the kid.

But without her, as long as I was mobile, healthy and had a working brain...er, no.

This cracks me up! I love my land trips too, but cruising can be as active or inactive as you want it to be. I am probably old enough to be your mother but on some of my cruise vacations I have gone hiking, ziplining, parasailing, jet skiing, jet boating, cave tubing, bridge climbing, ATVing, snorkeling, and more. I have also learned more about history, art, architecture, music, food, and wine just to mention a few things. It is a great way to visit a lot of places without having to unpack repeatedly, but it isn't the best choice for every destination.

vc10um just remember when considering cruise pricing that some of these small ship lines include a lot more in their cruise fares than the typical mass market cruise line.

Gypsy have fun whatever you do!!!

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
We've on 2 cruises, in fact just returned from a 7 day 7 night cruise to the Mexican Riviera on the Disney Cruiseline last week!

The our first cruise was with Celebrity Cruiseline 6 day 5 night to the Caribbean 4 years ago.

We loved both. There was a ton of things to do on the cruise, in fact, we couldn't agree on the stuff to do because there were so many choices! It's all about how much you want to participate, and how you get the most out of your trip. My parents, my kids and the hubby and I were thoroughly entertained the whole time.

The food on both cruiselines were excellent, I'd say Celebrity had slightly better food, but Disney was beyond my expectations as well, they not only cater to kids, but had superb adult selections at every meal.

Disney also exceed my expectations in cleanliness. With so many kids on board, I wasn't expecting a super clean environment, but they scrubed down the decks and deck chairs every evening, and all the bathrooms were emaculate.

Lastly, the shows on both cruiselines were amazing, they were not amateur productions, I'd say they were broadway quality. Highly recommended!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
My parents just got back from a cruise and my dad informed me that he now knows what a canary in a cage feels like! :cheeky: I can't say I'd ever go one one...just not for me. Maybe if I had a kid. But to each her own!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would really like to go on a cruise. But I read some reviews a while ago that said people were getting really sick on the ships because of bad hygiene. Not washing hands etc before going to the restaurants. I would really hate to spend lots of money on a trip just to get an upset tummy. :sick:

There is a company called Viking River Cruises that have smaller boats. They offer trips to European destinations as well as Russia and the far east. I would definitely consider them if my husband and I were able to get away on our own. I think they can accomodate max 150 people.

There is a review website, bit like Trip Advisor but for cruises. http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk :))

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Definitely want to try a cruise one day. Can anyone recommend a really upmarket line?

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
rosetta|1318884614|3042239 said:
Definitely want to try a cruise one day. Can anyone recommend a really upmarket line?

Sundial just posted above about Seabourn and Reagent Seven Seas. I spent a few moments over the last day or so poking around their websites and I'd definitely define them as "up market."

Sundial, as for the pricing...we'd most likely be doing something in the Mediterranean anyway, and for the atmosphere it looks like those companies provide, seems to me the pricing is more than fair!

amc80

Ideal_Rock
I love love love cruises. The thing I love about them is you get to see different places, while unpacking once. And while the ship is going to a new port, you are busy enjoying great food, entertainment, etc. Plus at-sea days are awesome because you are forced to relax. I find that I come home from cruise vacations actually relaxed, not needing a vacation from my vacation.

I've been on 4 cruises- 1 on NCL (ick) and 3 on Carnival. Carnival has a really bad reputation, but I can tell you that it's just that, a reputation. Most of it comes from the short (under 5 day) cruises they have. Those are, generally, pure party cruises.They have a lower price point and attract college kids. Anything over 6-7 days, though, is awesome.

I am getting married next month in Florida, after which we will be boarding a 7 day cruise on Royal Caribbean...along with about 24 of our guests. So yeah, we like cruising.

Another thing is that cruising is really affordable. You can get a balcony for anywhere from $600+ for a week long cruise. And that includes your food! The fancier lines even include alcohol. Let me know if you have any specific questions, I'd be more than happy to try my best to answer them!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Maisie|1318881907|3042189 said:
I would really like to go on a cruise. But I read some reviews a while ago that said people were getting really sick on the ships because of bad hygiene. Not washing hands etc before going to the restaurants. I would really hate to spend lots of money on a trip just to get an upset tummy. :sick:

There is a company called Viking River Cruises that have smaller boats. They offer trips to European destinations as well as Russia and the far east. I would definitely consider them if my husband and I were able to get away on our own. I think they can accomodate max 150 people.

There is a review website, bit like Trip Advisor but for cruises. http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk :))

That would be h*ll for me. There's nothing worse than being sick and being stuck where you are, especially if it's not in the comfort of your own home.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results