shape
carat
color
clarity

crown angle vs pavilion depth?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Luckiemeetoo

Rough_Rock
I''m looking at two stones, and comparing them to the Tolkowsky ideal cut.
One the crown angle is a bit off for one and the other the pavilion depth.
Does anyone have an opinion as to which one would be more important to the beauty of a stone, the crown angle or the pavilion depth? thanks.

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The combination of angles is important. A little give here is ok with a little take there. They need not be spot-on Tolkowsky but the man pretty much nailed the bullseye of PA-CA combos.

With that said, the pavilion is the most critical. A 0.2 degree angular shift there is as meaningful as a half-degree of main crown angle movement in my experience.

If a culet is pointed, negligible or not present pavilion depth is ok to interpet. Otherwise we need pavilion angle (not depth).

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/17/2009 8:17:53 PM
Author: John Pollard
The combination of angles is important. A little give here is ok with a little take there. They need not be spot-on Tolkowsky but the man pretty much nailed the bullseye of PA-CA combos.

With that said, the pavilion is the most critical. A 0.2 degree angular shift there is as meaningful as a half-degree of main crown angle movement in my experience.

If a culet is pointed, negligible or not present pavilion depth is ok to interpet. Otherwise we need pavilion angle (not depth).
Ditto John, pavilion is crucial and you can have a lot more leeway with the crown than the pavilion.

Luckiemeetoo

Rough_Rock
thanks, now I know which I should eliminate.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results