shape
carat
color
clarity

Crown Angle 33.5 but 1.1 HCA - Good Diamond?

GreenMachine

Rough_Rock
Hi all!

I recently purchased a ring through Blue Nile with the following specifications:

Table: 55%
Depth: 62%
Crown angle: 33.5 degrees
Pavilion angle: 41 degrees

That works out to a 1.1 on the HCA, which made me comfortable pulling the trigger, though I still have time to cancel/return. Now, I'm reading here about how the crown angles should be a bit higher (in the 34-35 degree range) and I'm concerned this will mean the diamond won't be quite as impressive (other stats are G color, 1.47 carats, VVS1 clarity; it's diamond stock number LD08985474 if you go on Blue Nile and search their diamonds, for whatever reason trying to include a direct link to the diamond redirects to their homepage, possibly since I already purchased it).

So, what say you experts, will this diamond still look good, or should I keep looking?

Thanks everyone!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oops !

I trust the HCA. So, yes, this is good in my book.

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’d give it a chance and see what you think when you receive it. You could purchase an ideal scope to take a peek at the diamond at home to make sure it has good light return.

EvaEvans

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I saw your diamond on the BN website, I looked at the GIA certificate too, so I can ensure you, that your diamond will look great, don't worry!
Yes, crown angle of 33.5%, but combined with smaller table of 55% gives you excellent crown height of 15%. Your diamond is well proportioned.

GreenMachine

Rough_Rock
I’d give it a chance and see what you think when you receive it. You could purchase an ideal scope to take a peek at the diamond at home to make sure it has good light return.
Interesting, didn't realize those were something you could find outside of a diamond purveyor. Is that doable while its in a setting?

GreenMachine

Rough_Rock
I saw your diamond on the BN website, I looked at the GIA certificate too, so I can ensure you, that your diamond will look great, don't worry!
Yes, crown angle of 33.5%, but combined with smaller table of 55% gives you excellent crown height of 15%. Your diamond is well proportioned.
Thanks for explaining, good to hear! I'll try to take some good pictures when it arrives.

GreenMachine

Rough_Rock
UPDATE:

Thanks again everyone for the help so far! I received the ring and think it looks nice . . . but I'm tempted to send it back and go for something bigger, more in the 2 carat range. I found one on James Allen that's not too much more money for a 2.1 carat, H color, VS2 that looks eye clean, 1.3 HCA, but now I'm worried the table might be a bit too big. Here are the proportions:

Table: 59
Depth: 60.4
Crown angle: 33.5 degrees
Pavilion angle: 40.8

That starts to loose closer to a 60/60 diamond than a Towlkowsky, any concerns with the table/depth issues despite a 1.3 HCA?

Also, it's IGI cert, is that a concern?

Thanks again for the help everyone!

EvaEvans

Shiny_Rock
Premium
What you currently have is better of what you are looking now. I don't like 60/60. Also, to change G, VVS1 for H, VS2, GIA for IGI? In my opinion - no!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results