shape
carat
color
clarity

Crown and Pavilion

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tunis

Rough_Rock
I'm looking at a stone with a crown angle of 33.9 and a pavilion of 41. It gets a 1.3 on the HCA but my concern is that I've heard that crown angles of 34.7-9 seem to be the sweet spot - at least for WF ACA. What are the ramifications of this combo (c 33.9, p 41), or is this too subjective to really speculate?

Thanks,

Tunis

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
There is no sweet spot. It is an interplay between table size, crown and pavilion angles. Which the HCA shows.

Edt:
What is the table size and depth, I am curious.

tunis

Rough_Rock
The depth is 61.4 and the table 55.3. This is an AGS000 stone...

Tunis

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It should be a beautiful stone!

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
ya, it should be a beautiful stone, no worry.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/26/2008 6:12:59 PM
Author: Stone-cold11
There is no sweet spot. It is an interplay between table size, crown and pavilion angles. Which the HCA shows.
Stone-cold,

This is a controversial, and lately even more, a nuanced position.

First...for those of us who on balance accept 0 - 2 for the HCA, that could be true...but you yourself I believe have quoted that that formula should be applied to the intended function...with more shallow crowns being reserved, as described, for pendants.

And so, several here are fond of quoting angle ranges.

Then, there's the AGS pedigree. But...the quote of this being AGS000 made me at least suspicious. Maybe it IS the older format (newer I think aren't often quoted that way...but regardless...running it through the HCA, and reading the cross hairs for location...it is at a minimum consistent with a "thumbs up" under the newer rating.

For my money, I've been convinced enough that a 3 D scan under the new system is a strong predictor of a swell stone.

Meeting those boxes as defined under the HCA chart, anywhere in the boxes for the AGS0...and a 3D map (giving 0 for light performance) would represent a very green light.

Go to either gold or 2 D or the old system (still with precise measures), and I suppose you'll be only marginally less safe until you add in an idealscope.

Reference only the HCA, without having had the benefit of AGS measures...and you're marginally less again assured of a well cut diamond until you add reflector technologies...although Jonathan at GOG will be happier with 38 more tests, I'm sure.

Just some additional reactions for you....

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
IMHO, Ira, it is still an interplay of the variables and nuanced with 3-D symm, brillianteering, star facet and LGF angles.

The crown angle stated is far from shallow anyway, and pendant stones are more of the band of angles relationship below the AGS0 range than a particular cut-off crown angle from what I understand.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Stone,

Somehow I think we''re talking past each other.

Except...it may be helpful to note...where they exist...when you have "protections" by way of thresholds.

For example...I think that, when an AGS0 is attained for light performance, you needn''t cipher the details...they''re all non-pendant types. If you don''t agree with that...I''d like to understand the example.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Um...Yeah! It looks like an amazing stone!

tunis

Rough_Rock
So yes, this is obviously a nice stone. But I''m just a novice and so I am wondering where (if at all) this stone falls short?

Thanks experts,

Tunis

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Let's see. ISEE2 stone, Helium report shows all EXs, AGS 0 cut, VS clarity, GEM EX all in highest range. I recently got a stone with those specs from GOG, and it is AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reserve it now, before it's gone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
3.gif

ETA: Let me add that the J color brings down the price to make it more affordable, and, in my humble opinion, you compromise very little on color. That gives you a great value.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/26/2008 11:00:02 PM
Author: Fly Girl
Let''s see. ISEE2 stone, Helium report shows all EXs, AGS 0 cut, VS clarity, GEM EX all in highest range. I recently got a stone with those specs from GOG, and it is AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reserve it now, before it''s gone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
3.gif
Don''t you think it would be better if it were here?

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/26/2008 11:03:00 PM
Author: Regular Guy

Date: 10/26/2008 11:00:02 PM
Author: Fly Girl
Let''s see. ISEE2 stone, Helium report shows all EXs, AGS 0 cut, VS clarity, GEM EX all in highest range. I recently got a stone with those specs from GOG, and it is AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reserve it now, before it''s gone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
3.gif
Don''t you think it would be better if it were here?
LOL
9.gif

tunis

Rough_Rock
Flygirl, what does ISEE2 stone mean?

Tunis

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ira, agreed. AGS0 stone is never a pendant stone.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/27/2008 5:05:53 AM
Ira, agreed. AGS0 stone is never a pendant stone.
There are members here who have AGS0 stones for pendants. They may not be considered to be the more ' shallow pendant types' but they certainly can be pendant stones.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/26/2008 11:34:30 PM
Author: tunis

Tunis

One of the excellent diamond cutting brands around. Their stones are always top grade, similiar to ACA of WF and CraftedbyInfinity stones. They mark their stones with a special symbol which you can see in the AGS report. GOG will probably have it''s birth certificate too.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
As others have said, this is an excellent cut stone, you can''t go wrong. No worries.
2.gif

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/27/2008 5:11:42 AM

Date: 10/26/2008 11:34:30 PM

Tunis

One of the excellent diamond cutting brands around. Their stones are always top grade, similiar to ACA of WF and CraftedbyInfinity stones. They mark their stones with a special symbol which you can see in the AGS report. GOG will probably have it''s birth certificate too.
Exactly. The special symbol on the cert confirms the ISEE2, but what I love about these is the DiamXray photo. ISEE2s have a distinctive, extra sharp set of Xs (crosses) in the very center. When I see those, I check, and more often than not, it''s an ISEE2. Superb cut on that diamond, Tunis. It will be a sparkler.

tunis

Rough_Rock
My sincere thanks to everyone who helped educate me on this thread.

Tunis

tunis

Rough_Rock
Okay, one final question:

Is there any reason to think this stone falls short of the cut quality of WF ACA?

I guess this is what I was really asking from the get-go...

Thanks,

Tunis

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/27/2008 1:37:32 PM

Is there any reason to think this stone falls short of the cut quality of WF ACA?

Thanks,

Tunis

Nope. This stone should be up there with ACA quality.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock

Thanks,

Tunis
Nope. I happen to own an Isee2 with very similar numbers. I also own ACA studs. They are equally beautiful. Now hop on that stone!
2.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/27/2008 2:15:26 PM
Author: Ellen

Thanks,

Tunis
Nope. I happen to own an Isee2 with very similar numbers. I also own ACA studs. They are equally beautiful. Now hop on that stone!
2.gif
Ellen knows!!!

tunis

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for your knowledge, and more importantly your willingness to share it...

Tunis

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
You''re welcome tunis. Let us know how it goes!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/27/2008 3:02:48 PM
Author: Ellen
You''re welcome tunis. Let us know how it goes!
Ditto Tunis, keep us posted!
35.gif

tunis

Rough_Rock
Will do, Lorelei,

What is the significance, if any, to the HCA that gives this a 1.3 but gives the following rating:

ex, ex, vg, vg

Many other AGS0 stones I've seen register

ex, ex, ex, vg

Is the vg for scintillation due to the crown and pav angle combinations, and does this really matter in view of everything else we know about the stone?

So many questions...

Tunis

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/27/2008 3:23:00 PM
Will do, Lorelei,

What is the significance, if any, to the HCA that gives this a 1.3 but gives the following rating:

ex, ex, vg, vg

Many other AGS0 stones I''ve seen register

ex, ex, ex, vg

Is the vg for scintillation due to the crown and pav angle combinations, and does this really matter in view of everything else we know about the stone?

So many questions...

Tunis
Tunis, if you change the pavilion angle to 40.9 instead of 41, scintillation then gets an Ex. I wouldn''t worry too much, the HCA can''t see the diamond and it is only predicting how a diamond might perform in various areas. Other technologies such as brilliancescope could be better for analysing things like scintillation rather than HCA. That is a very well cut stone you have there, so I think you are fine!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results