shape
carat
color
clarity

Crazy cuts and Colors on party sapphires.

Beautiful-disaster

Shiny_Rock
So I just came across a company that has copyrighted their own cutting style *starbright* cuts. My eyes are pretty confused to what I’m seeing in these stones..... is it just another way to make a would be *cheap* gem stone more interesting?
This is the website https://www.johndyergems.com/gemsto...yla5qJc4Lc2rcHkStdIqu76-W0DoOYK_PpNuOrx0nSUFE

I will post some pics from of the stones below which seem to fall in the $3k - $6k range AUD.
I would love to see some other crazy cuts on party sapphires if anyone has an links or pictures to share please!
- Also do you like these - would you wear one? Do you already have one?? I would love to see it please!
4ECD2409-A80E-4776-9AF0-F800F7B72222.png I 1C119D3D-BE4F-47C3-A03B-56F3AE804CED.png

39504F6B-A9B8-4D2C-B4A9-D5EAEA114264.png

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I like them depending on the colors. His just look like various cuts made to reflect light differently, creating the illusion of two colors.
However, I think of them as "designer dogs" that used to be called mutts. :lol-2:

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have a collection of John's gems. He is an amazing cutter.
Sometimes he uses cheap goods and makes them special.
Sometimes he uses very rare and expensive rough goods.
A static photo is never enough for these stones.
John has also won probably more gem cutting competitions and awards of any cutter I know.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The round stone is so dark that no amount of fancy lapidary work can help it. What is the point if the stone is so dark toned, you cannot see the light reflected back?

I see this is John Dyer. While he does have unique and interesting lapidary designs, I find his style of cutting makes dark toned stones look even darker. I prefer his cutting on medium to light toned gems. With his work, much of the price is due to his cutting, because he’s an artist and this is his art work.

The second sapphire is a much more appropriate tone for his cutting style.

Last edited:

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Even if a particular stone (and/or the price tag) doesn't hold appeal, the expertise, time, aesthetic sense, and careful attention reflected in the faceting means the stone is -- unlike a mutt -- no mere happenstance.

@Beautiful-disaster, love how AutoCorrect changed parti to party; the oval sapphire especially seems festive to me : - )
party popper.jpg

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
He's a local gem cutter to me. I've been to a gemstone round table with his work. That was fun. His work doesn't fit my aesthetic, but I can respect it. His fantasy cutting style was pretty innovative when he started and a lot of younger gem artists are using similar styles now - so a trendsetter!

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
careful attention reflected in the faceting means the stone is -- unlike a mutt -- no mere happenstance.

My comment was to parti sapphires in general. No need to think I'm attacking his work. I love his stones and would like to have one some day. These two just aren't my thing. I still wouldn't consider them partis because the color zoning isn't pronounced, except in his cuts, but that's just my opinion.

Mixed breed dogs were called mutts years ago. These types of dogs are now intentionally cross-bred, but some people prefer purebreds. The point is that trends are trends, what's special now didn't used to be, and some people are purists. Parti sapphires didn't used to be so popular, but now they are. They can be beautiful, yet some people won't care for them, regardless of what artist cut them.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results