shape
carat
color
clarity

Craziest thing you''ve done to have $ for bling!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bluehue

Shiny_Rock
I let my housecleaner go after 8 years and now pay myself to clean my own house. 2k a year. And no, I haven''t told my hubby!!!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Remember "imputed income"?

bluehue

Shiny_Rock
Kind of. Whew, it has been a long time. Something about value of life insurance over premiums gets taxed as imputed income???? Anyway, spell it out for your jelly-brained PS friend.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t know if this exactly counts as something that I *did*, but one time when I was considering my upgrade from oval to round I just, um, failed to keep depositing my commission checks into our bank account. At one point I was walking around with many many thousands of dollars worth of commission checks in my purse, just in case the urge should strike me to go and do the upgrade, and then I could go to the bank and cash the checks to pay for it and the happy hubby would never even know.

Turns out BTW that (a) the happy hubby hasn''t looked at our bank account for nine years so he wouldn''t have known anyway, and (b) he couldn''t have cared less what I spent the $ on. (I found all that out later when I got tipsy and told him about the whole thing. He thought it was pretty amusing, but every now and then when we''re out shopping for something he asks me if I want to put it on our Am Ex or just use one of the commission checks stashed in my purse, LOL).

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
bluehue, that is too funny. I love my bling, but I really love my cleaning lady LOL. She comes every 2 weeks and with 4 kids I think I would lose my mind without her. Its hard enough for me to keep up with the house so to have it be super clean every 2 week even for a few hours before it gets destroyed is something I''m not willing to give up! Do you have kids? My cleaning lady is a super luxury to me :) I dream of the day I can get her to come ever single week LOL.

BUT in that same light, when I was in high school I convinced my father to let his cleaning lady go and pay me to do her job so I could make extra money. So I totally get where you are coming from. But that only lasted a few weeks. My father was so beyond anal I quit LOL (I did not live iwth him, I lived with my mother and would drive over to his condo to clean) He was too OCD about cleaning for me to keep that job. I got a job at Erols video store instead. It was the big video store chain in the 80''s in the DC area. I don''t even know if they are still around.

bluehue

Shiny_Rock
Dee*Jay, that is too funny. I love the idea of having "walking around" cash.

Asscherisme, I do have 3 kids - 7, 4 & 2. I did love having my house cleaned every other week. I was at the coffee shop with my coffee group while they were cleaning. It was fantastic. I do miss them and may call them back, but I really, really, really want studs at the end of this year or maybe beginning of next year.
11.gif
I''ll reevaluate after I have those rocks in my hot, little hands.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'M LIVING WITHOUT A CAR IN LA FOR 5 YEARS!!!!!!...that's gotten me quite a bit of money for bling. This is partly for environmental reasons, but a bonus is that it also allows me more money to have other things my grad school budget can't afford....

Going without a car adds up to about 5-7k a year in savings when you add up cost of the car, maintenance, depreciation costs, gas, parking, insurance, etc...

My grad school buddies are always amazed that I put about 10% of my income in savings each year, have no debt, and buy decent clothes and bling on top of it on a very tiny income. I also go without eating out a lot, pack lunches, and I buy tea instead of coffee/mocha type drinks at the coffee shop. Tea is usually only slightly more than $1 when coffee drinks can be more than $4.

These are my tricks!!!!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/16/2007 4:01:18 PM
Author:bluehue
I let my housecleaner go after 8 years and now pay myself to clean my own house. 2k a year. And no, I haven''t told my hubby!!!

But do you think you do a good job?! just kidding, I am such a slob my hubby would know!!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
bahahaha lol - no, I haven''t done anything like this. My husband bought my earrings and he participated in this ring... I can''t see myself doing the above LOL But hey - good for you!!

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
It wasn''t for bling (I know blasphemy . . .) but I lived without a car until I was 28 years old and put a $1000 a year into a bank account all through grad school so I could take 8 months to travel crosscountry and hike out West after grad school before my post-doc. Also, to make the $8000 last me 8 months of travel costs, I spent no more than $5 to $10 on food a day, slept in the car, in hostels and at cheap campgrounds.

I have given up eating out dinner once a week, and my daily cup of coffee so I can buy a pair of diamond studs before I get married so I can wear them at the wedding.

I need to get a job in biotech and stop this academia nonsense so I can have more of what I want . . .
DeeJay, your hubby sounds very understanding . . . that is a funny story.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/16/2007 4:47:47 PM
Author: bluehue
Dee*Jay, that is too funny. I love the idea of having ''walking around'' cash.

Asscherisme, I do have 3 kids - 7, 4 & 2. I did love having my house cleaned every other week. I was at the coffee shop with my coffee group while they were cleaning. It was fantastic. I do miss them and may call them back, but I really, really, really want studs at the end of this year or maybe beginning of next year.
11.gif
You know... I suppose I could get creative here... I get 1k deposited in my acct every month and if I curbed my spending, made menu plans, clipped coupons, quit eating so much *sushi*... I could end up with left over money that I could stash... in fact if I got REALLY good I could probably put half away LOL That would be like making 6k a year!! Puts a whole new spin on clipping coupons... though I am by nature lazy and am happy to waste money to support my nature.... hmmmm I''ll have to think about it LMAO!!! Oh my god, the poor ex navy wife in me hates my guts!!!!

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
I am curious how you DH doesn''t know about this. You do it yourself and continue to tell him that she comes on a regular basis?

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/16/2007 6:47:17 PM
Author: Cehrabehra

Date: 3/16/2007 4:47:47 PM
Dee*Jay, that is too funny. I love the idea of having ''walking around'' cash.

11.gif
You know... I suppose I could get creative here... I get 1k deposited in my acct every month and if I curbed my spending, made menu plans, clipped coupons, quit eating so much *sushi*... I could end up with left over money that I could stash... in fact if I got REALLY good I could probably put half away LOL That would be like making 6k a year!! Puts a whole new spin on clipping coupons... though I am by nature lazy and am happy to waste money to support my nature.... hmmmm I''ll have to think about it LMAO!!! Oh my god, the poor ex navy wife in me hates my guts!!!!
I tell my sister to do this all the time. She endlessly complains about her 1/3 ct. ring and would love a new one. Now she won''t tell her husband she wants a new one, but, wants him to surprise her with one. Go figure. She spends TONS of money on coffee drinks, nasty fast food, frozen yogurt and the like. I told her to cut out all of the junk and save her $ for a new stone!!! Besides, her thighs and skin will thank her. She won''t go for it! I cannot understand it. I''d rather have new bling than chubby thighs anyday!!!!LOL

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Spent the three scholarships I was awarded in grad school on jewellery--every cent. Is that crazy or what? My DH just smiled and shook his head.........

cheers--Sharon

bluehue

Shiny_Rock
Jazmine. I started doing it myself in Jan. and he hasn''t asked. If he did, of course I would tell him. He tends not to pay much attention to the house, as he is way to busy with the kiddos. Don''t ask ... don''t tell - just appear with new studs.
31.gif

Harriet - HA! HA! Your query marinated in my mind while I was walking to the grade school and I now I get ya.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Well, I didn''t do the crazy thing really.....but my current upgrade project is from hubby''s stock earnings. He sold $20K worth of stocks to shut me up. I feel kinda bad, but it''s not digging into any retirement funds, college funds etc.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/16/2007 7:29:08 PM
Author: jaysonsmom
Well, I didn''t do the crazy thing really.....but my current upgrade project is from hubby''s stock earnings. He sold $20K worth of stocks to shut me up. I feel kinda bad, but it''s not digging into any retirement funds, college funds etc.
omg did I write that? I swear I could have written that word for word, cent for cent LMAO!!!!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I spent part of my youngests college fund.

JUST kidding.
9.gif

I haven''t done anything crazy, nor do I ever see myself doing something crazy.

belle, take note, I did NOT say never.
9.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I haven''t done anything crazy for bling either. And I love my cleaning lady so she ain''t going anywhere!!!

Jewels

Shiny_Rock
I didn't steal any money for diamond but here is my story........

My dream ring is a Tiffany solitaire, paired with a matching Tiffany shared prong diamond band.

After I bought my Tiffany ring, DH told me that I am not allowed to buy OR mention the word DIAMOND for at least a year.

Less than a month after I bought my Tiffany solitaire from SP. I saw my dream band on the SP site one late night. So I immediately picked up the phone and called DH. I nervously said "I hate to call you, please, I am not buying anything but I just have to tell you something. SP has my favourate Tiffany band for a great price plus a 10% off (a discount code they e-mailed me a few days before). DH stopped watching his fav show on TV and rushed upstairs. He saw the ad for like 30 seconds and said "ok, buy it, proceed to check out."

I almost fainted. I was going to ask him "are you sure?" then I said to myself "I better shut up" and clicked BUY on the SP site.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/16/2007 9:02:05 PM
Author: Jewels
I didn''t steal any money for diamond but here is my story........

My dream ring is a Tiffany solitaire, paired with a matching Tiffany shared prong diamond band.

After I bought my Tiffany ring, DH told me that I am not allowed to buy OR mention the word DIAMOND for at least a year.

Less than a month after I bought my Tiffany solitaire from SP. I saw my dream band on the SP site one late night. So I immediately picked up the phone and called DH. I nervously said ''I hate to call you, please, I am not buying anything but I just have to tell you something. SP has my favourate Tiffany band for a great price plus a 10% off (a discount code they e-mailed me a few days before). DH stopped watching his fav show on TV and rushed upstairs. He saw the ad for like 30 seconds and said ''ok, buy it, proceed to check out.''

I almost fainted. I was going to ask him ''are you sure?'' then I said to myself ''I better shut up'' and clicked BUY on the SP site.
36.gif
9.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock

Less than a month after I bought my Tiffany solitaire from SP. I saw my dream band on the SP site one late night. So I immediately picked up the phone and called DH. I nervously said ''I hate to call you, please, I am not buying anything but I just have to tell you something. SP has my favourate Tiffany band for a great price plus a 10% off (a discount code they e-mailed me a few days before). DH stopped watching his fav show on TV and rushed upstairs. He saw the ad for like 30 seconds and said ''ok, buy it, proceed to check out.''

I almost fainted. I was going to ask him ''are you sure?'' then I said to myself ''I better shut up'' and clicked BUY on the SP site.

glad to see we aren''t the only total geeks who call each other when we''re both home!!! LOL

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/16/2007 9:17:35 PM

glad to see we aren''t the only total geeks who call each other when we''re both home!!! LOL

We live in a four story house. Without the four hand-set intercom system my happy hubby and I would never talk to each other either!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/16/2007 9:57:04 PM
Author: Dee*Jay

Date: 3/16/2007 9:17:35 PM

We live in a four story house. Without the four hand-set intercom system my happy hubby and I would never talk to each other either!
isn''t it funny? Ours is 3 plus we have other buildings on our property and dh''s office is in one of those... so technically we''re not in the same house but it''s just as goofy if you stop to think about it lol We really don''t call each other from the main house unless I''m in bed and pestering him on the main floor. its mostly the kids who reign in the bottom level LOL Four stories... yikes! sorry for the morph, but what is the layout? Is one garage, one living, one.... bedrooms? and one master? or ??? we have a garage, a pantry (well, it''s 300 square feet so kinda large for a pantry lol, and a playroom on the bottom floor, living, dining, kitchen, bathroom, laundry/mud, and my office on the main and two HUGE bedrooms (think tucked in eaves) and a bath on the upstairs... we''ve divided one in half so the girl has her own. We want to add a 2 car garage on the main level with a master suite and upstairs laundry above it... but we''ll see... we''re barely over a year before we want to move anyway LOL

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If selling your organs was legal, I would sell an organ or 2.
2.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lol, Madame B!

My dilemma is the opposite. We can live off my husband''s income just fine, but I have been working about 4 days a week, so I really can spend whatever I want from that. However, I am a saver and certainly wouldn''t spend all I make on jewelry (we use it for vacations, etc., too). But I am getting tired of being too busy and am considering quitting or at least working fewer days next year. If I quit altogether, then I will have all this free time to shop but I won''t have the extra money! Lol! And my cleaning lady is something I will never give up, Lol! My child is going to a small private school next year, and we can have free tution if I work there 2 afternoons a week, and I do want to do that as I want to be involved in her school anyway. So I am sort of in the mode of getting all the essential pieces that I want now, and maybe I won''t care so much later.
2.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/16/2007 7:20:25 PM
Harriet - HA! HA! Your query marinated in my mind while I was walking to the grade school and I now I get ya.
Remember "deadweight loss"?
1.gif
Anyway, it''s hardly inefficient if you''re happier raising your kids yourself.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
The only crazy thing I''ve done for bling is purchase on credit. But that was years ago, in my early 20s. Now, I cannot give up any my current short-term pleasures, like clothes and dinners out for jewelery, so I pretty much go without. lol I am planning a purchase probably next fall, but will just set aside disposable income that is in addition to my normally budgeted "fun" money.

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
I picked an internship (one I didn''t really like at the time) pased on pay and have used extra money to put towards gems :)

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
Hmm...I''m doing it right now. I put $500 in an ING savings account at 4.5%, and have $50 deposited into it every other week when hubby gets paid. Not a whole heckuva lot, but hey, its MINE and its so little that I can just ignore it and let it grow.

Of course I put DH''s name on the account & told him how to access it so if he ever wanted to *surprise* me with some nice blingies, he could feel free.

I also went through my closet & ebay''ed some clothes, shoes, bags, etc. I''m in maternity wear now, so I thinned out all the stuff I haven''t worn in awhile or don''t like. I made about $300!! (after shipping & ebay fees).

Since my DH travels & I''m home with kiddo, I get to manage the money, so its not like I can fudge on myself. I have some other projects that have higher priority (just had central ac installed y''day, new baby expenses--mainly deductibles--, finishing our daylight basement so we have another den/office/family room/guestroom) I''m too practical. Plus I''m saving for a bi-weekly housecleaning service when the new baby comes, so I don''t have to do it for 3 months after he/she gets here.

But I''m also the $$ spender/waster in our house, so I told DH I''m going to try to save up even more money by cutting out Starbucks (or getting tea like one other poster said), mindless shopping for things I don''t love, and eating less takeout when he''s gone. He''s cut back on his Starbucks too.

I did tell him that when we are done with all this house jazz, that I''d like to build a little jewelry wardrobe & I''d like him to be a part of it. He said "that sounds like fun" so I think when I get past 40 (I''m 36 now) that might start happening.

Fine by me...I''ll just keep saving. I''d rather wait and have something nice.

I love how "real" this post is. Life is about making compromises and doing without sometimes.

Jeannine

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results