shape
carat
color
clarity

Crack or feather in sapphire?

purpleviolet589

Rough_Rock
B1299788-1D55-49C2-B6DF-6B88BDF13F91.png Hello, please could anyone advise whether this surface reaching inclusion on the table facet of this heated sapphire might pose durability issues? I can’t tell whether it’s a feather or a crack?

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
Really hard to judge by your picture. A feather inclusion is a crack that occurs naturally. I can hardly see a thing but a tiny straight line. If this is it, no, no problem with your stone's durability. It is already set, and I would think it would have had problems then, if any. Emeralds get set all the time with much worse feather inclusions and such.

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
Looks like a tiny rutile needle, really...

purpleviolet589

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for your reply! It looks like a tiny groove out of the table and I was worried it might spread or crack the stone if it was bumped. Do you think that’s unlikely?

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If that is the thing on the surface where the rest of the table is reflection, it looks like it could be a scratch that occurred post-cutting, even.

purpleviolet589

Rough_Rock
If that is the thing on the surface where the rest of the table is reflection, it looks like it could be a scratch that occurred post-cutting, even.

I just received it so it’s not been worn yet. Do you think it’s worth queuing with the jeweller?

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just received it so it’s not been worn yet. Do you think it’s worth queuing with the jeweller?

I pretty much never think things like that are worth bringing up, lol, so I may not be the best person to ask. To me it looks like it's probably unnoticeable while being worn and doesn't pose a structural issue. But I'm hard on my hands and know I will quickly add a lot of dents to my jewelry, lol.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see the one "darker" more obvious but tiny at the top, but I also don't know if I am seeing things (reflection) and see a fainter curved line running across the stone. Sometimes my eyes trick me into seeing things. :lol:

Did you purchase the stone separately and sent it out to be set? The setting is lovely and the setting work looks impeccable.

purpleviolet589

Rough_Rock
I see the one "darker" more obvious but tiny at the top, but I also don't know if I am seeing things (reflection) and see a fainter curved line running across the stone. Sometimes my eyes trick me into seeing things. :lol:

Did you purchase the stone separately and sent it out to be set? The setting is lovely and the setting work looks impeccable.

I bought the stone and setting together. You’re not seeing things ☺️There is a curved feather line but that doesn’t break the surface so I wasn’t concerned about that one.

The stone does have a couple of larger crystal inclusions just beneath the facets very close to the surface, but I assumed given sapphire’s hardness they wouldn’t be likely to cause problems?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yup, in that case, there is no concerns. My guess is that the line on the surface might called a "natural" IIRC and is not a concern. By all means, ask the vendor and perhaps he/she might be able to tell you more about these types of inclusions.

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
I see what you're talking about. I think it's just a surface reaching feather that presented when cutting/polishing. Zero issue about the stone potentially cracking. Only issue you might see it that that area -might- be more prone to chipping or abrading over time... but I doubt that will happen with the hardness of sapphire

purpleviolet589

Rough_Rock
I see what you're talking about. I think it's just a surface reaching feather that presented when cutting/polishing. Zero issue about the stone potentially cracking. Only issue you might see it that that area -might- be more prone to chipping or abrading over time... but I doubt that will happen with the hardness of sapphire

Thank you so much for your help.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results