shape
carat
color
clarity

Covid Parties? Sheesh! Kids Nowadays!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For some reason the source website for this (abcnews dot go dot com) won't allow me to copy and past it's web address, but here's the start of the story ...

I think you can find the rest of the story if you google above address.

SNIP:
Alabama students throwing 'COVID parties' to see who gets infected: Officials

Students in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, who have been diagnosed with COVID-19have been attending parties in the city and surrounding area as part of a disturbing contest to see who can catch the virus first, a city council member told ABC News on Wednesday.

Tuscaloosa City Councilor Sonya McKinstry said students have been organizing "COVID parties" as a game to intentionally infect each other with the contagion that has killed more than 127,000 people in the United States. She said she recently learned of the behavior and informed the city council of the parties occurring in the city.

She said the organizers of the parties are purposely inviting guests who have COVID-19.

"They put money in a pot and they try to get COVID. Whoever gets COVID first gets the pot. It makes no sense," McKinstry said. "They're intentionally doing it."

Tuscaloosa Fire Chief Randy Smith told the City Council on Tuesday that he has confirmed the students' careless behavior.

In a briefing to the City Council, Smith expressed concern that in recent weeks there have been parties held throughout the city and surrounding Tuscaloosa County, "where students, or kids, would come in with known positive," according to a video recording of the meeting obtained by ABC affiliate station WBMA in Birmingham.

"We thought that was kind of a rumor at first," Smith told the council members. "We did some research. Not only do the doctors' offices confirm it but the state confirmed they also had the same information."

In his presentation, Smith, who wore a face mask, did not say what is being done to curb the behavior or what schools the students were from. Tuscaloosa is the seventh-largest city in Alabama and home to The University of Alabama and several other colleges.

Just hours after Smith's briefing, the City Council unanimously passed an ordinance requiring people to wear face coverings when out in public.

"They put money in a pot and they try to get COVID. Whoever gets COVID first gets the pot."

Last edited:

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
Those stories may not actually be true, e.g.:

It really wouldn't surprise me though, given that there are chicken pox parties, etc.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have s friend who has repeatedly said that she just wants to get it over with right now that she can still get access to a hospital should she need it. She also considers herself low risk and doesn’t think it will get critical for her or he family. Most of the younger friends that I know were the first to venture out to bars and restaurants.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have s friend who has repeatedly said that she just wants to get it over with right now that she can still get access to a hospital should she need it. She also considers herself low risk and doesn’t think it will get critical for her or he family. Most of the younger friends that I know were the first to venture out to bars and restaurants.

The problem is, well *one* of the problems are that once you have Covid you can (probably) get it again. The antibodies might only be good for 2-3 months so getting it one/now isn't a guarantee you won't get it again.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
No ones knows how their body will react
Some young people (under 60) have became very ill and died

This is the most stupid idea
talk about a Dawin award

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

Id be socially distancing myself from those kind of friends Nala
Take care
stay safw

Niffler75

Brilliant_Rock
images.jpeg-1.jpg

Nuff said! I need another coffee!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm pretty skeptical of this story. We live about an hour from Tuscaloosa, and we have many friends there. The locals say it's news to everyone and not a thing. Two of our friends have one child each at University of AL, one in a fraternity (Junior) and one in a sorority (Sophomore), and they say they've never heard of this happening. But who knows...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results