shape
carat
color
clarity

Could use some advice on this diamond :-)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
Hello! I''m new to PS. (I''ve been lurking and have become addicted). I''m looking into erings (figure I''d make my BF''s job easier if I just gave him a list of acceptable rocks)
19.gif
. I was hoping to get somewhere in the 2 ct range, but above all, I want one that sparkles. I''ve found one on James Allen that I''d like your opinion on.

1.70 RB
H
VS1
AGS
Depth: 61.8
Table: 55.6
Polish: Ideal
Symmetry: Ideal
Girdle: Thin to Medium
Cutlet: None
Flourescence: Neglible
7.60x7.68x4.73

After the PS discount, it will cost just under $15,000. Does this sound like a good deal? I''ve been given a limit of $18,000 total (this must include setting and wedding band). It''s going to be tough to find a 2 ct that fits into those limits, right? Any and all opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Liz

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome to Pricescope
35.gif

Looks very promising, do you have the crown and pavilion angles please or a link to the diamond?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous diamond!!! As Lorelei mentioned if you want to get closer to the 2 carat mark you could drop down in clarity to SI, many of these stones are still eye clean. Inventory also gets slim right before the 2 carat mark because cutters try to maintain weight to get it up to 2 carats. However, I would rather take this stone and save the money for an incredible setting since there won''t be a huge difference between a 1.7 and a 1.9.

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
I think my BF is a little hesitant about purchasing online. He is not, however, hesitant about saving money. Is there any way to speculate how much a B&M might charge for this diamond? If I can tell him how much he''ll save, he''s much more likely to buy online. I already told him about the PS discount at the online retailers and he seemed impressed by that.

I understand this isn''t a H&A diamond, but does it come close?

Also, the cut advisor on PS said it had a TVP of 1.1 This is good, no?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It appears that this diamond does show an arrow pattern which you might see in some lights, so it appears to be an excellently cut diamond and should be a superb performer. Unless an undisputed hearts and arrows stone is very important to you, this diamond could be a fab choice.

The HCA score is fine, the aim is to score 2 or below as the HCA is a rejection tool and not used for selection. Once you score in this region, then you evaluate the diamond by other methods such as Idealscope etc. Also in some circumstances, diamonds which score over 2 can still be worth consideration, but for this case, your score is good, and from the other info we have, it should be a lovely diamond.

As to how much you could save, perhaps take a look for similar AGS0 graded diamonds of similar size, colour and clarity in your local stores, and this should give you an idea - and I think you could find that the savings could be well worth buying online. I don't know what area you are in, but if I remember rightly, you can make an appointment with James Allen, if this might reassure your BF. I think JA are in Maryland.

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
I''m in Iowa, so getting to Maryland is pretty much out of the question to look at a diamond. BF was just in Baltimore for a business meeting... should have told him to make a side trip to JA!
1.gif

I am willing to sacrifice color or clarity a little for a larger stone, but finding an SI1 eye clean stone online looks a little tricky. I shouldn''t complain about a 1.7 at all. Most women around my area with a stone over 1.5 cts usually sacrificed color, clarity AND cut. I read someone describe diamonds like that as "frozen spit." Haha!

Now my next big question is: halo or classic solitaire with eternity wband?......... Oh decisions decisions.......
26.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I vote for classic solitaire, but it depends on what appeals to you!

honey22

Ideal_Rock
I can only give you my personal experience from Australia of prices quoted for online vs B&M. I purchased from overseas at a total of $7000 AU. I got prices for similar rings here in Aust. ie. high quality cut, colour and clarity and I was quoted various prices between $8500 - 21000, so there is absolutely no doubt you are saving big bucks, and IMHO getting a better cut stone in the process!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results