shape
carat
color
clarity

Could this be The One?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

JZMINBNEE

Shiny_Rock
Hello everyone
My Sweetheart is not a jewelery guy so he has left the choice up to me on the Ering I have found a stone that I think may just be THE ONE can you all please kindly help me to decide if it will be a great performer? I have been studying and searching for a few mos now and would like to make sure I am making an excellent choice. Thank you Very Much in advance for your honest opinions
Here are the specs:

7.48-7.51x4.55
AGS Fb 2006
ags 0 cut grade
light performance 0
proportion factors 0
finish 0
polish ideal
symmetry ideal
color AGS1.0 F
clarity AGS 3 VS1
carat 1.558

Table 57.3%
depth 60.7%
Crown angle 33.9
pavillon angle 40.9
girdle 1.3-3.4% faceted
crown 14.4%
pav 43.3%
HCA 1.2 EX EX Ex Vgood spread
Joni

JZMINBNEE

Shiny_Rock
Hi the stone is a Round Brilliant cut from a Pricescope listed vender and some of the angles seem different than I would expect from what I have read here about Ideal cuts though it seems to qualify ad Ideal under both Gia and Ags per the chart that but I still wonder if this is an Ideal combo of specs and should keep looking. the listed price is $16373.00
please let mr know what you think. I really appreciate your input
Thank you,
Joni

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
it''s a new ags0, what more could you ask for?
20.gif

do you have any pics?

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If this stone get''s Belle''s stamp of approval, you can likely take it to the bank, but honestly, this stone should sparkle without a light source
36.gif

JZMINBNEE

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for your post Belle. I guess that is what I was wondering are the new AGS 0s enough to go by on their own?
Is that a silly question? I was thinking some of the angles may not make it a safe bet to purchase site unseen thats all.
Thank you very much for taking the time to respond to me.
joni

JZMINBNEE

Shiny_Rock
Hi Rod thanks for the 2nd to Belles thumbs up, It is great to hear from you.
how is your sparkler doing?
Joni

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Not only is the diamond a new AGS0, but it also got a good HCA score. Looks like a winner so far!

JZMINBNEE

Shiny_Rock
Thank you Sundial! I am just wondering if some AGS0 s may out perform others and how this one will perform based on the angles or is a new Ags 0 enough info end of story.
Thank you for your response.
Joni

Houseparty

Rough_Rock
WOW, looks awesome
30.gif

This is an NEW AGS 0, and GIA Ex cut grade, nice HCA, etc... It will look great.

I appreciate your neurosis because I went thru the same thing. Based on my reaseach, my idea of "perfection" was 40.8 PA, 34.5 CA. I saved $$ and got a 41.0 PA, and 34.0 CA. I am confident that nobody I meet could see the difference between my purchase and a branded super ideal cut. You may be thinking that the crown is too short and CA too shallow, but the 40.9 PA is better than a 40.7 PA in our situation. There is even some evidence that a crown slightly on the shallow side of ideal aids brilliance. We can drive ourselves crazy and spend more $$ if we let ourselves.

The fact that you are second guessing yourself and splitting hairs is proof of your thorough research. This is a big purchase, but you are getting quality in every corner.

I hope my wife never sees it, becuase this stone is out of our league.

Sincerely,
David

JZMINBNEE

Shiny_Rock
Hi David ,
Yes you pegged it correctly when you said neurosis, non Pricescopers my sweetheart included think I am Nuts! I just want to make sure I am not pulling the trigger on an odd ball numbers wise. I really feel for you Guys having to make these choices for your ladies and hope to get a real eye popper for her.
My Honey will think its great if I am pleased .
If it comes and looks like doo doo or just ho hum well he will think maybe we should just go to a brick and morter and be done with it.I really want to avoid that!
I am hoping that the difference from standard commercial grade diamond will be noticable even to sweety should he decide to compare to others, and I want to get the best Big bang sparkle for the bucks.
Thank you for understanding and for taking the time to write to me David.
Your encouragement means so much to me!
Joni

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/31/2006 6:07:10 PM
Author: JZMINBNEE
Hi Rod thanks for the 2nd to Belles thumbs up, It is great to hear from you.
how is your sparkler doing?
Joni
Hey Joni,

Things are good and my pet rock has been steam cleaned (it get''s steamed on Friday''s) and is safe in it''s little velvet night house........LOL.

Good luck on your purchase. It sounds like a wonderful winner!!!!
30.gif

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/31/2006 6:50:49 PM
Author: Houseparty

...Based on my reaseach, my idea of 'perfection' was 40.8 PA, 34.5 CA. I saved $$ and got a 41.0 PA, and 34.0 CA. I am confident that nobody I meet could see the difference between my purchase and a branded super ideal cut.

Hey David,
Have you ever posted photos anywhere of this beauty??!! Come on -- hop to it!!!! We wanna see it. Don'tcha know by now we *NEED* PHOTOS???!!
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif

JZMINBNEE

Shiny_Rock
OOPS just rechecked the HCA is 1.2 ex ex ex v good w/in TIC range.

Glad you are keeping your rock pretty and letting it snuggle and get it''s beauty rest Rod.

I would love to see photos of your ring too David.

Joni

Houseparty

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/31/2006 11:21:09 PM
Author: Lynn B

Date: 3/31/2006 6:50:49 PM
Author: Houseparty

...Based on my reaseach, my idea of ''perfection'' was 40.8 PA, 34.5 CA. I saved $$ and got a 41.0 PA, and 34.0 CA. I am confident that nobody I meet could see the difference between my purchase and a branded super ideal cut.

Hey David,
Have you ever posted photos anywhere of this beauty??!! Come on -- hop to it!!!! We wanna see it. Don''tcha know by now we *NEED* PHOTOS???!!
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif

Hi Lynn,
We have been on some of the same threads in recent days. You seem like a really great person
2.gif

I was the voice of "restraint" in "Carolyn''s" thread. But I am not always cheap; we encouraged "U2" to ditch the 59 table and go for the ACA, remember???

Joni,
Thanks for your kind reply. Your numbers are not "oddball", they are AGS0, GIA Ex, HCA 1.2! This is a pretty safe place to be. Sure, we are on the edge, or just off, "A Cut Above" stats, but based on my research, the light performance of "our" stones is probably comparable to the branded diamonds. Joni, you have found a serious stone, and I think you will love it the moment you see it. If you don''t love it you can return it in X days; try that with most B&M jewelers.

Ladies,
Thanks for showing an interest in my stone, but I feel like I am showing you my new Toyota, when Joni is about to buy a Mercedes. As you know I''m a stats guy, so my stone is:
GIA, Si1, I, 1.24, 60.9 D, 56 T, 41.0 PA, 34.0 CA, 50 SL, 85 LH, VG P&S.

I do not have a digital camera, but here is the BrillianceScope:
http://www.gemex.com/livereport/partnerlink.php?linkid=1&pid=gia14732819&sid=gia14732819&aid=0032670&viewid=1&popup=y&scrollbars=yes

If the link does not work, copy and paste the address in the browser and it works fine. I will admit, I am proud of the price, $4,900.

Sincerely,
David (Houseparty)

JZMINBNEE

Shiny_Rock
Hii everyone,
Well..
Honey says I am the one who has to be happy with it so...
We are pulling the trigger on this one to at least have a look see. EEK!
36.gif

Once it is in hand (should be here by Tues) we will have Rockdoc take a look and see how it rates on some of his measuring devices. It comes already laser inscribed which I am happy to learn. I will also see if I can take some photos and get them posted so you all can see too. I am keeping my fingers crossed hoping its pretty.

David: I would love to get a Brilliancescope done to see how it rates, I was unable to see your brillancescope for some reason couldn''t get the download to work. I''ll try again tomorrow.

Joni

Houseparty

Rough_Rock
Hi Joni,
I think you stone will be awsome. It better be for 16 grand, right?
2.gif

If you want a BrilliantScope, Rocdoc can do that for you for a price, (since you are sending it to him anyway) he has all the toys. Not everyone is sold on the accuracy of the BS. I would be less likely to buy a BS report if I had it professionally appraised by someone of Bill''s reputation. But since I could not trust my eyes, I chose to invest in a BS report from another jeweler. In addition, I was willing and prepared to have a competitor critique the stone, but he said I made a fine purchase.

Best wishes, I think you have done your homework, and all will work out fine.

Sincerely,
David

JZMINBNEE

Shiny_Rock
Hi David,
Thanks again for your words of encouragement. It IS really scarry but the diamond should be here tomorrow and we will see.
My plan is to take the stone in person to Rocdoc since I live about 1/2 hour away from where he is located. I hope its a screamin beauty but even so I want as much info as possible from a pro before we are locked in on this major purchase.
Plus make sure the stone matches the cert.
I will keep you posted!
Thanks again,
Joni

Houseparty

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/3/2006 3:17:13 PM
Author: JZMINBNEE
Hi David,
Thanks again for your words of encouragement. It IS really scarry but the diamond should be here tomorrow and we will see.
My plan is to take the stone in person to Rocdoc since I live about 1/2 hour away from where he is located. I hope its a screamin beauty but even so I want as much info as possible from a pro before we are locked in on this major purchase.
Plus make sure the stone matches the cert.
I will keep you posted!
Thanks again,
Joni
Joni,
Be excited, but relax you are in a great situation. Since you live in south florida, you can get it to RocDoc without multiple shipping expense and time. Since you are buying from a PS vendor you can return it if you do not love it, and all you are out is one shipping fee. For this kind of money your expectations should be very high, and you have a great resource in Rocdoc. I think it will blow you away, but for 16 grand there should be little room for compromise if it does not.
4.gif

Sincerely,
David

duriofont

Rough_Rock
Wow David! How did you find such a good deal? My stone is going to cost $4,000 more and your Gemex stats look great. Could you help me find one at WF for less?

Houseparty

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/4/2006 1:02:32 PM
Author: Cajunrock
Wow David! How did you find such a good deal? My stone is going to cost $4,000 more and your Gemex stats look great. Could you help me find one at WF for less?
Hi Carolyn,
Thanks for the love. Since my diamond is not as big and fancy as many of ther others, at least its nice when someone can envy my value. In fact, we wanted to go a tad bigger, without going into the 1.5+carat price point, but from a value perspective, this 1.24 was a standout to me.

This stone was not part of the internet inventory (thus not available on PS), but part of the New York City Jewelry District inventory. It was sourced by Martin Sheffield at USACerted (PS member). His web site has a search option for this NY inventory, but I do not know who else does.

Anyway, I am not suggesting that you change course at the last minute.
THESE TWO DIAMONDS ARE NOT IN THE SAME LEAGUE.

Let''s review the facts:
Yours vs Mine
1.55 vs 1.24
Vs1 vs Si1
F vs I
AGS vs GIA
$16,373 vs $4,900

You mention "$4,000 more", but the difference is over $11,000 right?

All the factors mentioned above have a huge impact on the value of the stone, but virtually no impact on the Gemex scores. I do not recall for sure, but I think that your stone is not branded as a "ACA", and that is why your price is discounted a bit (you could even pay more for similar specs).

The only comparison between these two stones is light performance, which is essentially cut. However, as I mentioned before mine is a Toyota, and yours is a Mercedes
2.gif

Sincerely,
David

duriofont

Rough_Rock
Thanks Houseparty I''m flattered but not all stats are accurate. It is ACA, it is 1.5, it''s not H and it''s not 16k. I''m thinking I''m insane even having the briefly ridiculous thought of continuing to look. I''m done, cooked, finished. Besides, Lesley and Brian have been holding this since Friday; it wouldn''t be fair to them. We are working on a final price with setting and the wire will be sent! Gratefully, C

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-2313849.htm

Houseparty

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/4/2006 7:59:33 PM
Author: Cajunrock
Thanks Houseparty I''m flattered but not all stats are accurate. It is ACA, it is 1.5, it''s not H and it''s not 16k. I''m thinking I''m insane even having the briefly ridiculous thought of continuing to look. I''m done, cooked, finished. Besides, Lesley and Brian have been holding this since Friday; it wouldn''t be fair to them. We are working on a final price with setting and the wire will be sent! Gratefully, C

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-2313849.htm
Oh Hi Carolyn (Cajunrock),
Here is my confusion. You and Joni (the author of this thread) have the same icon. When you post yesterday (4/4 1:02pm) I thought that you were Joni (even though I said "Hi Carolyn", I was referring to Joni''s stone), so I was comparing my stone to Joni''s $16,000 stone that began the thread.

I was always concerned that I would get these two threads confused, and sure enough I did.

Anyway, you know how much I love the 1.51ct you picked out! I was the minority "voice of reason" that talked you off the 1.7ct...

So in your case it''s comparing my "Toyota" to your "Lexus", so I''ll play the same game with you:
Yours vs Mine
1.51 vs 1.24
Vs2 vs Si1
AGS vs GIA
Super ideal vs ideal
ACA vs non branded

So again, different league, different price. If you are feeling "insane" now, think how much more you would be second guessing yourself if you were going with the stone that was $1,700 more money, right?
2.gif

Sincerely,
David

JZMINBNEE

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone!
It arrived yesterday and it sure is pretty I took some photos to share w/ you all to give you an Idea of the sparkles.
lets see If I can get a photo here
Thank you for sharing in the fun with me,
Joni
oops too big let me adjust

JZMINBNEE

Shiny_Rock
Heres one right out of the box

DSCN0409.JPG

JZMINBNEE

Shiny_Rock
the "prongs" on that little rock holder seemed kind of high to me but it was fun to play with here is a shot in a 'waterlilly"
type setting can you see the rainbows on the side?

JZMINBNEE

Shiny_Rock
not waterlilly cant get it yet but here'' a close up w/ colors

DSCN0426.JPG

JZMINBNEE

Shiny_Rock
this should be the waterlilly

DSCN0373.JPG

JZMINBNEE

Shiny_Rock
Hi yall here is a up close "hand shot"of the waterlilly "setting"
These prongs are kinda big too but I like them.

DSCN0365.JPG

JZMINBNEE

Shiny_Rock
Hello, I went ahead and changed my avatar for now until I have the stone really set.Maybe with one less butterfly there will be less confusion.
In the other thread I discussed having the stone set with pear shaped sides. I know there have been alot of them recently but it is such a clasic look that is what I think I will go with.
I am not 100% positive about this stone but I took it to Home Depot yesterday and Man! it was a real fire ball there.

I am hoping to have Rockdoc look it over soon. I have Signed pieces putting together a setting w/ .66 ct total pears
.33 each very rounded fat pears in e/f color vvs/vs and it should be here by next Wednesday.

JZMINBNEE

Shiny_Rock
DAVID,
I got your Gemex to down load WHEW Man that is some beauty you got!!!
I hope mine will show up respectably.
Thank you for sharing your results have you posted photos yet?
Joni

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results