shape
carat
color
clarity

Could this be a huge uncut diamond? (found after hurricane)

isthisreal

Rough_Rock
I'm not sure this is the right place to post this but im trying to get some advice from people who know diamonds. Hoping here someone has experience with uncut diamonds.

How it was found: Last year during hurricane Irma we were hit pretty hard in Florida. This was found near west palm beach right after the hurricane. There were huge rocks that were overturned and it was found near it.

Pictures:
https://ibb.co/n3ZsAe
https://ibb.co/iBE3GK
https://ibb.co/d4DkVe

tests done:
  • a diamond tester found it was diamond positive.
  • he tried cutting it with a drill bit and it just slid off
  • he put it under UV to see if it glows (i guess he said that's a way to tell if its a real diamond?)
It would be pretty wild if he found a diamond that was washed up from a shipwreck. He also found a silver rod that was used to make coins, and lots of coin fragments from really old coins.

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If you believe it to be real, please have it sent for testing. Any reputable lab can confirm or deny whether it is an authentic diamond.

People on the internet are not going to be able to tell you.

isthisreal

Rough_Rock
Yeah, he said he was going to do that. But i just thought id get some opinions from people here, but i guess its too hard to tell from pictures.

SpikeIt

Rough_Rock
I wasn't aware Florida limestone produced diamonds...

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Diamonds are brittle and will shatter if you hit them right, so while I doubt it is a diamond I would stop drilling it, etc.

What kind of diamond tester do you have and did he use it correctly? It will make anything a diamond if you don’t use it correctly.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I echo what everyone else has said... Regardless of what is found, I would send it to another independent appraiser for verification. Make sure the independent appraiser knows that he/she will only be verifying that of the first (but don't disclose the findings of the first). Make it clear that you're keeping it regardless of his/her findings... just in case you do have something pretty cool. Just "keeping honest people honest", KWIM?? ;-)

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Diamonds have been found in Brazil since the mid 1500s.
That they would make their way to be on a ship wreck off Florida is not impossible.
They were alluvial diamonds so weird shapes are also possible.
No opinion on if the pictured stone is actually diamond.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Diamonds have been found in Brazil since the mid 1500s.
That they would make their way to be on a ship wreck off Florida is not impossible.
They were alluvial diamonds so weird shapes are also possible.
No opinion on if the pictured stone is actually diamond.

Very interesting... so would the unusual shapes be simply due to erosion/friction from the elements after being naturally removed from the Kimberlite??

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Very interesting... so would the unusual shapes be simply due to erosion/friction from the elements after being naturally removed from the Kimberlite??

yes

babs23r

Brilliant_Rock
How cool would that be!!!!!!????? I really hope it is a gigantic uncut diamond.
Keep us posted!
If it is, could I have a little of the left overs?:appl:

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know......I think it looks like it could be!

scarsmum

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Would y’all like to invest in my new social media venture?

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ok, dumb question--how can a diamond be eroded by the elements? Other than fracturing/chipping along a fault line, a diamond should only be "eroded" by another diamond. No?

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hardness, toughness, abrasion resistance and wear resistance are not the same. And erosion is a complex process; it involves wear, tear, chipping, fracturing, abrasion, cleaving, other materials, water and air, and time, etc. It is more than just the hardness of a material.
A ceramic brake eventually wears out, rubbing against softer metal. The same can be said for a ceramic sharpening stone. A diamond can be eroded by softer materials.

Last edited:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A lot of diamonds are alluvial and don’t “look” like the perfect crystal. While diamonds are “hard” they still chip from impact and rolling about so they do “smooth” out and look like pebbles.
If a quality gem tester (ie Presidum)and NOT a $10 eBay one registers as diamond, then it will be a diamond.
Have a close look on the surfaces for any small triangle shapes, they are called Trigons. Super cool.
Definately take to a gemologist (any uni or college nearby? ) they can give you a better (and hopefully free) opinion.
Exciting.

Johnbt

Shiny_Rock
Premium
You just can't tell what will happen next sometimes. Take the case of the missing Manchester diamond - it's now lost it seems. There was this guy who was cleaning around the stables and found this nice rock. He took it to his boss...

www.richmond.com/from-the-archives/massive--carat-diamond-was-found-in-the-ground-in/article_3f21e974-7b8c-5fcd-b2fb-9034c5007479.html

"Massive 23-carat diamond was found in the ground in South Richmond in the 1850s"

And another article on it... https://wtvr.com/2016/11/24/the-missing-and-massive-rva-manchester-diamond/

"The New York papers heralded the discovery of the largest diamond found in North America!"

"In 1928, an even larger diamond - 34 carats - was found just across the state line in West Virginia by a boy playing horseshoes with his dad."

Always look up, never look down, all you find are other peoples' pennies. - Harlan Ellison

Bless him - and RIP - but maybe he was wrong on this one. :))

mrsgreeneyes

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Are there two of them in that last pic??

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I thought it might be useful to show how mined and alluvial rough can vary. A couple of octas and dodecs below:

The children on the left were nestled all snug in their wee little bed(rocks) - work with me here - until mined from their volcanic pipes.

The rogues on the right were sprung free by water/erosion - and went on a rock & roll joyride for hundreds of millions of years until they were recovered from an alluvial deposit.

ps-pipe-vs-alluvial.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results