shape
carat
color
clarity

Could someone please explain the whole scarf trend to me?

mrs jam

Brilliant_Rock
Re: Could someone please explain the whole scarf trend to me

Fly Girl|1336529342|3190659 said:
We visited Paris a couple of years ago in February. Everyone there wears a scarf. It is the perfect accessory that makes a light jacket warm enough in the winter. DS bought one and not only was he now warm enough, he could also instantly pass for being French.

It's funny you mention all the scarf aficionados in Paris. My grandmother was born and raised in France, and I can remember her complaining to my mother that American women never learned to be stylish because they had too many clothes to know what to do with. In every memory I have of her, she is wearing either a scarf or a long string of pearls. I purposefully keep my wardrobe minimal and splurge on accessories to add some oomph.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

HollyS|1336528116|3190641 said:
ame|1336519750|3190518 said:
I. Seriously. Do. Not. Get. It. If it's not like 10 degrees out, I don't get why anyone would wear one. I break out in major sweat just seeing people wearing them. Esp if they're wearing shorts and a tank top. Uh, maybe put on some damn clothes?

This.

I expect, in cold weather, to see scarves. I wear them then. But I remove them inside. And I'll even use them as shawls in restaurants after my coat comes off, or in a cold office.

As for AC in summer, I'm the Cardigan Queen. Keeping my neck swathed in yards of fabric won't keep me toasty if the rest of me is exposed.

But all this scarf origami as the just-right-touch to finish an outfit . . . huh uh.

It does kind of remind me of being in D.C. in the early 90s when every woman had a silk scarf either around her neck, used as a shawl, or tied to her purse.

Holly, I am the opposite. I can be wearing a jacket and if it is windy or there is a chill, I am still cold. But I can be wearing a lighter type jacket and scarf in the same weather and be warm. My mom always wears them because it's a way to keep warm/fend off chills without having your body overheat.

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock

Another scarf lover here! They are one of my guilty pleasures, I have way to many and keep buying more...

hoover

Shiny_Rock

I just wear scarves to keep warm in the winter now.

I tried wearing scarves as an accessory/style booster. Total Fail :nono:
I can never get it to look right. I bought a bunch of different styles in different materials, tried wrapping and tying it different ways, and it just doesn't work for me. :((

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I. Seriously. Do. Not. Get. It. If it's not like 10 degrees out, I don't get why anyone would wear one. I break out in major sweat just seeing people wearing them. Esp if they're wearing shorts and a tank top. Uh, maybe put on some damn clothes?

This.

I expect, in cold weather, to see scarves. I wear them then. But I remove them inside. And I'll even use them as shawls in restaurants after my coat comes off, or in a cold office.

As for AC in summer, I'm the Cardigan Queen. Keeping my neck swathed in yards of fabric won't keep me toasty if the rest of me is exposed.

But all this scarf origami as the just-right-touch to finish an outfit . . . huh uh.

It does kind of remind me of being in D.C. in the early 90s when every woman had a silk scarf either around her neck, used as a shawl, or tied to her purse.
I love cardigans too, but they don't fit tidily in my handbag. My scarves do. When the A/C is chilly, or the sun sets in the summer, I whip out that scarf and wrap it around my neck and over my chest where my scoop neck leaves my skin exposed. It might not keep you warm, but I find it quite comfortable.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

wrinkled necks adore scarves......just saying.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I wear less turtlenecks than I used to - they just seem to be itchier and scratchier than they used to :wink2: so scarfs of various sorts help keep my neck warm as I head in to work in the morning.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I really like doing the scarf thing during the winter - turtlenecks drive me bonkers and I don't like wearing heavy sweaters, so wearing a scarf is just a good way to keep warm, even indoors.

Deia

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I love scarves, have like 20 of them! They are a great accessory to your outfit!! I dunno...maybe it's more of a european thing because everyone wears scarves here...

In London it is very windy, a scarf is really welcome to keep the breeze out. I get cold otherwise. Yes I also wear them in summer.

Scarves aren't just made of one material, some are lighter, some are warmer.

Meezermom

Shiny_Rock

Aside from keeping your neck warm in colder climates, I'm thinking some older ladies like to wear them because they might cover up the areas of the neck that are getting acquainted with gravity. ;-)

Lulie

Shiny_Rock

Love Them!
I'm tall but I seem to have unproportionally long legs. Long necklaces and colorful scarves 'elongate' my torso very well.
I also wear thin belts and V neck-slim cut tops help to create the same illusion. Someone mentioned turtlenecks....big NO no for me :((

asscher_girl

Brilliant_Rock

I love scarves! And especially pashminas. I live in Northern CA so it can be 80 degrees on a nice spring/summer day and then drop down to 50 at night. (btw - 50 is now freezing for me! haha) I grew up in GA and didn't wear them there, but now love them. I typically won't wear a scarf w/ a short sleeve shirt (if it's warm enough to wear short sleeves/sleeveless, then I don't really need one) but other than that, my scarf is w/ me.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock

They're pretty and functional-what more is there to explain? I have a ton and have used my lighter weight scarves a lot lately due to the fluctuating weather.

StacylikesSparkles

Brilliant_Rock

I probably have like 30 scarves. I just love them and have loved them LONG before they became a trendy hipster thing. I won't wear one if it is hot as all get-out (it isn’t cute to be sweaty wearing a scarf lol), and if it's warmer but I still want to wear one, I'll just wear a lighter one. I just LOVE them so much! They can bring in color to an otherwise boring outfit. The pic below is me wearing a white t and jeans, but the scarf (and belt) make it just a bit nicer and perfect for my outdoor engagement shoot!

D&S23.jpg

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I have always been a scarf person--I HATE it when my neck is cold--and last summer when I was in Bali I bought about 40 pashminas. (Hey, they were about five USD a piece, what can I say?! :tongue: ) Now I never leave home without one! They are great in the cool weather as scarves and I love them for summer, especially if you go to a restaurant or somewhere else where the air conditioning is cranked up and you just need a little something.

Phdecorate

Shiny_Rock

MissStepcut|1336540779|3190792 said:

This.

I love cardigans too, but they don't fit tidily in my handbag. My scarves do. When the A/C is chilly, or the sun sets in the summer, I whip out that scarf and wrap it around my neck and over my chest where my scoop neck leaves my skin exposed. It might not keep you warm, but I find it quite comfortable.

I'm with Miss Stepcut here. Also, I am often much colder than the average person. A scarf helps balance the outfit by helping me stay warm without looking silly. Everyone else is comfortable in sleeveless stuff and I could use a jacket on top of longsleeves for example. Well, I might feel I looked bulky or a little silly, so I might compromise with a lightweight sweater or even three quarter sleeves and add the scarf. Or else, I can grab the scarf and add it as a layer. I usually keep an extra one or two in my car. I am one of those people who gets much colder on top than on the bottom. I never wear stockings, I will wear skirts and dresses in the winter (usually with boots, but often just shoes) but if the top of me is cold, forget it!

It is also a great way to add pattern and color or a trendier vibe to a classic outfit, not to mention you can change your look in seconds. Think of it as a cozy statement necklace!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock

I didn't realize scarfs are a trend as I've always worn them in the fall and winter because I wear lower cut shirts so I need to keep my neck warm!

Now that you posted photos of women wearing them along with summer outfits, I'll have to keep an eye out for those who are committing such an atrocity.... I'm still stuck in the mode of being totally annoyed when someone wears shorts & uggs in the middle of summer! lol

StacylikesSparkles

Brilliant_Rock

MC|1336673503|3192240 said:
I'm still stuck in the mode of being totally annoyed when someone wears shorts & uggs in the middle of summer! lol

This is never acceptable lol

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

StacylikesSparkles|1336675128|3192261 said:
MC|1336673503|3192240 said:
I'm still stuck in the mode of being totally annoyed when someone wears shorts & uggs in the middle of summer! lol

This is never acceptable lol

+1 - I totally agree!! And even if you ARE a Hollywood starlet with your Starbucks latte in one hand and your cellphone in the other, with luxury car keys dangling from your nail tips... they are STILL a fashion faux pas!!! :nono:

UGH! (spelled with an H so as not to confuse with the footwear... :lol: )

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock

Can keep one of my good colors next to my face while wearing a color that may not suit me.
This is important for me since I am an autumn and cannot wear either black or white next to my face very well--and these are the two colors which are easiest to buy.
A boon when you are dealing with uncertain weather and/or days when it is hot outside but the a/c is going full blast in the car and office.
Can make the same outfit look ENTIRELY different with a different scarf. Less need to keep buying clothes.
Enjoy the creativity of learning to knot them different ways. Did you know that you can knot a flower around your neck with a scarf? Make a jacket out of one (if its a large square).
In a sudden rain when I am without an umbrella, I can cover my curly hair and avoid frizz. I also have something to put on my head to protect hairstyle when the wind is blowing like crazy.
Modesty, as several mention above. Shirts that show too much cleavage are what is most available to buy--at least around here.
They sure are a boon when travelling--they do so many things that they allow you to pack light.
But some of us are accessory people and some are not, I guess. And some prefer other accessories than scarves. It must be a lot of people actually, as I am always finding gorgeous scarves, silk ones no less, for cheap in the consignment and goodwill shops, so people must donate them a lot. More for me!

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock

pandabee|1336525603|3190604 said:
hawaiianorangetree|1336519981|3190522 said:
I wear them for warmth, to brighten up my neutral outfits and today I'm wearing one to add a little modesty to the front of my top for work.

this! I don't have lots of cleavage but I do like v-necks so sometimes the cover-up is a necessity for modesty purposes. and it is a great way to brighten up a plain t-shirt, lots of fun to rotate through different colors!

I do have heavier scarves for when it is actually cold in the winter, and lighter ones for spring! would never wear one in the summer, it does get too hot for that. but breezy spring days are perfect for those lightweight scarves. and they are comfortable, like a blankie for your neck!
I agree with all these things!

I just love a scarf. So many pretty patterns and colors and sizes and weights to perk up an outfit. Fancy ones for work and casual ones for hanging out. I wish I was more creative with tying them, but I always just end up just looping it so the two ends hang down.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results