color
clarity

Could really use some opinions, please

jmhgv2

Rough_Rock

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I honestly don't like either one. Can you share your budget and color/clarity preferences?

jmhgv2

Rough_Rock
I honestly don't like either one. Can you share your budget and color/clarity preferences?

Thank you. My budget is $8,500. My preference in terms of color/clarity are H and VS2. I'd like the diamond to be 1.25 carats but I'm fexible.

I picked the options in the original post as safe bets in terms of being eye clean and looking fairly colorless when standing alone.

I've never bought a diamond for an engagement ring, so I'm kind of lost. I did some research and used a couple calculators to screen out certain options, and both of the options I posted above didn't seem to have any red flags in terms of their dimensions. Could you tell me what issues you see? Thanks again.

Last edited:

jmhgv2

Rough_Rock
Anyone else have any thoughts/suggestions?

katyb

Rough_Rock
Whiteflash Diamond

Above is a link to A Cut Above diamond at Whiteflash. The wire price is slightly over your budget. I don't think you can go wrong with A Cut Above brand. From my relatively inexperienced eye, this would be better than the two diamonds you posted, but you should also get opinions from the experts on this forum. Sundays can be slow.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whiteflash Diamond

Above is a link to A Cut Above diamond at Whiteflash. The wire price is slightly over your budget. I don't think you can go wrong with A Cut Above brand. From my relatively inexperienced eye, this would be better than the two diamonds you posted, but you should also get opinions from the experts on this forum. Sundays can be slow.

This is sooooo much better than either of the other options!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you. My budget is $8,500. My preference in terms of color/clarity are H and VS2. I'd like the diamond to be 1.25 carats but I'm fexible.

I picked the options in the original post as safe bets in terms of being eye clean and looking fairly colorless when standing alone.

I've never bought a diamond for an engagement ring, so I'm kind of lost. I did some research and used a couple calculators to screen out certain options, and both of the options I posted above didn't seem to have any red flags in terms of their dimensions. Could you tell me what issues you see? Thanks again.

They have steep crowns, and one is deep at 62.8. The cutting just isn't precise and looks a bit messy compared to a truly ideal cut.

jmhgv2

Rough_Rock
Thank you both!

Shows how little I know -- I thought 35.5 was pretty average.

Do you think you would really be able to tell the difference in person between these diamonds?

katyb

Rough_Rock
The light performance will make a difference. When the diamond is cut to exacting standards, it reflects the light much better, and when it reflects the light better, the diamond looks bigger. So, for me, if I were spending that much money, I would absolutely insist on the best light performance, to the point that I would go down in carat weight to get a better light-performing diamond.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you both!

Shows how little I know -- I thought 35.5 was pretty average.

Do you think you would really be able to tell the difference in person between these diamonds?

35.5 is sometimes fine, but these stones just aren't ideal cut

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results