shape
carat
color
clarity

Could a gemologist tell?

Maude Bird

Rough_Rock
I recently got an eternity band that was priced more like lab grown than mined but claimed to be mined. After purchase, I took it to a gemologist to have it authenticated. It tested as diamond and with specs pretty close to what the seller claimed in terms of color and clarity (seller said G, SI-1) and gemologist said some G, most likely H, and some maybe I and SI-1. Seller said no fluorescence. Gemologist showed me some blue and one orange. I asked her if she thought they were mined vs. lab created. She said mined although the orange fluorescence was odd. I honestly don't care unless we overpaid. But as I have done a little more research and learned MMDs can have inclusions as well, I am curious if your standard gemologist could tell the difference. What do you think?

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Usually, it's not all that hard. We look at the inclulsions and the reaction to fluorescence along with a few other details. In the extreme, GIA has some fancy tools for this although I think they will only do unmounted stones. It's a service offered to manufacturers to test their supplies before they make things. In your situation that makes it logistically ridiculous. The real thing is provenance. It's the same way you know your coffee is organic and your chicken is free range. That is to say, the seller told you so, and you find the seller to be credible for other reasons.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results