shape
carat
color
clarity

Costco won’t accept return

EAB

Rough_Rock
I’m wondering if anyone has had this problem with Costco. I bought a membership specifically to buy items online. The closest store is several hundred miles away. I recently purchased a diamond necklace, .3 TCW priced at $499. I carefully read their return policy before ordering and felt confident in their return policy, as they seem to strive for 100% customer satisfaction, even specifying that they pay return shipping. Apparently there is a bit more involved process to return jewelry with a higher carat weight but this does not fall into that category.

Unfortunately I need to return the necklace (less than one week after I received it) and they refuse to accept my return by mail. They say it must be returned to a warehouse store. I went round and round with customer service who tried to get permission from two different higher ups to no avail. I told her the website clearly states you can return Costco.com orders and the will arrange for a UPS pickup.
I spent over 2-1/2 hours on the phone trying to get this resolved. I’m at a loss at this point, as it has taken a ridiculous amount of time for an item that does not have a huge price tag.

Does anyone have any advice?

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
I had to return diamond earrings to Costco once. Even though the diamonds were melee sized, they tested the diamonds before accepting the return.

Could you hold onto the necklace and bring it with you next time you are near a Costco warehouse? Or sell it?

EAB

Rough_Rock
I guess I feel I should not have to sell it just because they will not process what should be a simple return. Customer service admitted this policy is not stated on the order page, I told her I wouldn’t have ordered in the first place if it had been. She even asked if I knew someone in a bigger city with a Costco warehouse that I could mail it to -insured- and ask them to return it in person!

I don’t have any plans to travel where they have a location, especially not in the current situation we’re in.

It‘s fortunately not a large amount of money, but this situation has been handled in a most unprofessional manner.

DAF

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sam's Club is the same way. All of my online jewelry returns had to be completed in store; and yes, they test the diamonds. I would venture a guess that they are fearful of loss once it gets back to the warehouse and returning in store is a loss prevention measure.

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You could also try contacting your credit card company.

Great idea!

CostCo definitely should have included this surprise requirement in their online returns policy.

If your credit card company can successfully dispute the charge, it will hit them in the wallet, where it really counts.

Anne

alltheflorals

Rough_Rock
That is so curious. I see the same policy you are quoting - it's very clear that there is an avenue for mail in return so long as active credit card information is provided. That way their risk is mitigated so if the stones were swapped or damaged they could just withhold the refund. Did you only try calling in (meaning, are there options in your account order history to request a refund process)? It might be that the csr's hear 'diamond' and are defaulting to the most conservative approach without understanding the options available. There are so many Costcos around me, I would help if I could.

EAB

Rough_Rock
Thank you that’s a nice offer! Yes I started the process online but when I got to the end it told me I had to call to request a refund.
I‘ve tried to imagine say Amazon or Nordstrom’s suggesting mailing a return to a friend in another city to return an item in person. It’s really laughable that they would offer such an absurd solution

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought I’d read on their site that online purchases of jewellery had to be returned in person. As @MRBXXXFVVS1 says, they test the diamonds when you go to the pick up point, so it’s not unreasonable that they want to test them in front of a customer when an item is returned.

I know it seems strange, but I have heard of someone buying a diamond ring online and when they took it to be appraised, it turned out the diamond had been switched out. The person got in touch with the company and it transpired that the ring was a return, and the previous purchaser had done the switch!

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I read the return policy posted on Costco's website and to my reading there is no blanket statement indicating all online orders are returnable by mail. There is explicit language indicating that some items ordered online may be returnable by mail while other items purchased online may only be returnable to a Costco warehouse.

When you read the Return your Costco.com Online Order webpage - https://customerservice.costco.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6874 - it sets forth two sections, one entitled Return to Warehouse, and the other entitled Return through Costco.com. The Return through Costco.com option includes the following sentence "Please click here for a list of items that cannot be returned through Costco.com Self Service." If you click on the "click here" link, it brings you to this page - https://customerservice.costco.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9289/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNTkwNjg0Mjg3L2dlbi8xNTkwNjg0Mjg3L3NpZC9mVVJBT0hSZ05FcklZQ2V4TXZpdGltYnJyaCU3RWZ1M2lYZGZKWGdtWGZvWlVLWG1LaGxrU1NYcWJpWE9fX3lJajcydlhVNkpMOGRoNGdKNGZsNzlDTzlmNll5T3BfQ1Z4Wjd4NkVPNVhaMTZnTHRaSFF4NTU3NmRsZyUyMSUyMQ== - which explicitly states that jewelry items are excluded from the Costco.com Self-Service Return (returning by mail)

1590684916657.png

EAB

Rough_Rock
I understand they are protecting themselves from fraud but it seems to me that they could still check out the necklace when it is back in their possession, regardless of how it gets back to them.

I guess I read this wrong, as the above page starts with “Many of the items” not “All of the items”

I was going by this info on another page and assumed that the jewelry items over one carat were the ones not returnable by mail.

3D1406EE-DFE6-40A6-9ABF-ADAF35671968.png
Anyway I appreciate everyone’s input. It’s not a huge deal, more of an irritation at this point.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do I remember a thread where many PSers bought a steal of the day princess cut studs? I believe somebody returned those or the ones mistakenly sent to them...
Off to look for the thread. May be irrelevant. ETA @Mamabean to see if she remembers. :)

ETA again, I don’t have time to go through it, I’m working.

Last edited:

alltheflorals

Rough_Rock
Do I remember a thread where many PSers bought a steal of the day princess cut studs? I believe somebody returned those or the ones mistakenly sent to them...
Off to look for the thread. May be irrelevant. ETA @Mamabean to see if she remembers. :)

I'm very familiar with that as I participated 8-). Though I don't know if that's a representative situation as Costco went above and beyond to rectify a very unique one off scenario. In that case they provided shipping labels to return the 1st pair and promise to send the replacement pair upon receipt of the 1st (though with some timelines, it seemed that maybe they didn't wait to ship the replacement). It was a net loss to the company for sure.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Costco has a great return policy but this is definitely one of the exclusions. I am sorry that you are having to deal with it, but I would be worth the drive. You can cancel your membership and they will refund most of your money.

EAB

Rough_Rock
Well my rant has probably run its course by now but I wanted to add that I received an email from their resolutions team and they are looking into the matter. Perhaps they will give me an exception. I read with interest the lengthy thread on the earrings. Quite the saga.

And darn it if that didn’t make me start looking at their diamonds again! :think:

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
Well my rant has probably run its course by now but I wanted to add that I received an email from their resolutions team and they are looking into the matter. Perhaps they will give me an exception. I read with interest the lengthy thread on the earrings. Quite the saga.

And darn it if that didn’t make me start looking at their diamonds again! :think:

Ha ha same... bout to login to costco now lol

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
Btw I noticed that for over 1 ct items they say you will get a jewelry credit & the item will be inspected within 48 hours.
So does that mean no money back or just a credit until after the inspection?
That would definitely make a difference when deciding to buy a larger piece online (the jewelry section is not being staffed now during corona)

EAB

Rough_Rock
I need to update that I received an email from Costco last night saying they had ordered a UPS pickup for the necklace. No explanation or other correspondence. It was picked up today so I’m assuming the matter is closed. Thanks all for your responses to my dilemma

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad it worked out for you ... your persistence paid off.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results