shape
carat
color
clarity

Cost of resetting a solitaire diamond into a pendant...

Eilonwy

Shiny_Rock
Hi guys. I am pondering whether I should reset my diamond into a pendant. I want to take my diamond out of my platinum ring, and put it into a very simple white gold pendant. However, I have no idea how much that would cost and no shop will tell me unless I come in for an appointment, which I'm not ready to do yet. Has anyone done that before, or been quoted on that before, and might have an idea of cost? If it helps, I'm located in Perth Australia, in case there are any Aussies who have done it before.

If the cost is too high, I might not bother. My husband thinks that it wouldn't be worth it, that I would be better off buying a whole new diamond necklace if that's what I wanted to do.

GreenBling

Brilliant_Rock
How big is the stone may I ask?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not knowing the size of your stone, I am going to presume it isn't larger than 8 mm. My pricing is also based on US estimates which I think is lower than Aussie, not to mention I have not factored in your other taxes
Plain WG basket = $150
Setting fee = $100 (could be more or less)
Total $250 thereabouts

Eilonwy

Shiny_Rock
It's .30 ct
Thanks - at least that gives me some idea!

SB621

Ideal_Rock
I had a .87ct diamond set into a basket setting. My local jewelry did it for $110 total (setting plus work) however it was also a loose stone so there wasn't as much work involved. There was no tax as i was living in NH at the time.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My jeweler charged me 120 for setting and labor.

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
In the process of getting this done for my mother on one of her platinum rings, also around 0.25ct. They are keeping the stone in the head of the setting but attaching a bail to hang as a pendant. I got a quote of $130 for the bail and labor.

antiquesparkler

Brilliant_Rock
I paid a local jeweler in MN about $110 for them to set my .3 RB stone. That was for everything.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi,
I recently had two diamonds reset and called around and luckily did get some quotes and found that it was less expensive to go to a jewelry repair location than an actual jeweler. They only charged around $15 per stone, to set. Most of the other places were charging $60 per stone!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results