shape
carat
color
clarity

Correct Proportions for "petite" trapezoids?

Lalola44

Rough_Rock
Hi everybody! My apologies if this topic has been covered already but I haven't been able to find anything on the subject. My fiance and I are in the process of upgrading my e-ring with a 3.01ct cushion (F SI2 8.99x7.79x4.80mm with a 1.15 ratio).I'm a bit of a diamond novice and I'm having trouble figuring out the proper measurements for my side stones. I'm looking to do some step cut trapezoids on the petite side like the Leon Mege r7144 style but I was wondering what trap dimensions I should be looking for to achieve this style given my center stone measurements? We're going to wait for things to calm down a bit before starting the design process but I just wanted to get input from you all. LM is closed so I probably won't hear back from them for a bit for obvious reasons. The closest thing I've seen on PS is @AceP's beautiful cushion with traps. I hope you all are staying healthy and positive, I'm so thankful for the escapism of PS during times like these!

ea46ca899a16c17cff793aa5baf60977.jpg

86df7549a02ae27e96cd9ffce6f3e905.jpg

LM r7144.JPG

Lalola44

Rough_Rock
One more reference picture from Kwiat, I'm obsessed with these trap to cushion proportions!
Cushion-Sidestone-Trapezoid-UniformSingleCutdown-Claw-4-NE.png

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd print it out and measure them to determine the ratio. Then apply it to your stone. The Kwiat centre looks like the stone is longer than the Leon Mege one tho. Is it the same proportions?
I can see why you like it, it's very graceful.

Lalola44

Rough_Rock
I'd print it out and measure them to determine the ratio. Then apply it to your stone. The Kwiat centre looks like the stone is longer than the Leon Mege one tho. Is it the same proportions?
I can see why you like it, it's very graceful.

That's a fantastic idea! Yes the Kwiat stone is more elongated like my center stone, I was so happy to find it online. Thank you!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is Leon doing your setting? If so, he'll let you know what size side stones you're getting!:lol:

If Leon isnt doing your setting...you called Leon to ask about measurements?:shock:

Lalola44

Rough_Rock
Oh no I didn’t call, I would never be so forward. I just inquired about the ratio of the style I’m interested in in the little chat box on the website. I would love for LM to do it but with everything being so indefinitely all over the place it seems like using a local jeweler will end up being more practical:confused2:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you asked David Klass? Not sure what's the current status of their shop. I did see they have been posting on IG but it could have
been items that were completed much earlier. He does lovely work at a reasonable price.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Oh no I didn’t call, I would never be so forward.

If the cushion is from Art of Platinum, it makes no sense to not call them.

Lalola44

Rough_Rock
Have you asked David Klass? Not sure what's the current status of their shop. I did see they have been posting on IG but it could have
been items that were completed much earlier. He does lovely work at a reasonable price.

Thank you so much for your recommendation! I emailed David today and already received very reasonable quotes for the setting in each metal option he offers. We're going to wait until things have settled down a bit to send my diamond to him but I'm so excited!! Thinking of going with shorter tapered baguettes or bullets instead of traps for a sleeker design though. Thanks again!

Reactions: AV_

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
DK can work on CADs right now, I emailed him and he told me he can do that during this time. Just not sure if he has any traps on hand to apply the dimensions

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, I love the little traps with a cushion! I like tapered baguettes more with a step cut center. Take your time and be sure about that part. Those inspiration rings above are beautiful!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like traps but bullets would be interesting too.

See if DK can get some traps, bullets, and some baguettes if you're interested and take pictures with your cushion.

Last edited:

Lalola44

Rough_Rock
DK can work on CADs right now, I emailed him and he told me he can do that during this time. Just not sure if he has any traps on hand to apply the dimensions

Yep he told me the same about the CADs! I'm moving more in the direction of baguettes so I actually didn't ask if he had any traps on hand

Lalola44

Rough_Rock
Oh, I love the little traps with a cushion! I like tapered baguettes more with a step cut center. Take your time and be sure about that part. Those inspiration rings above are beautiful!

I know, they're so dainty but I do love the look of petite baguettes too. I may post a few other inspo pics to do a sidestone poll of sorts to get your opinions!

Lalola44

Rough_Rock
I like traps but bullets would be interesting too.

See if DK can get some traps, bullets, and some baguettes if you're interested and take pictures with your cushion.

Bullets definitely crossed my mind but I just haven't found many styles where they're tapered enough and short enough for my liking so it's hard to visualize myself wearing the look. I don't like bullets too thick or long, my fingers are just too spindly to pull that look off lol

AV_

Ideal_Rock

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The jeweler/designer usually calls in stones for side stones for you to choose from. So he will show you pictures of side stones next to your diamond and you can choose. You don't need to know measurements. You'll just need to show him pictures of rings you like.

Lalola44

Rough_Rock
Four short bullets - www & many tappered www,

thinking our loud.

Thanks for the recs! I actually spoke with Param before when I was thinking about going with an oval/moval instead of a cushion

Reactions: AV_
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results