shape
carat
color
clarity

Cork or Bamboo

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cwj

Shiny_Rock
Does anyone have Cork or Bamboo Flooring? We are looking to put down new floors, we now have stained concete and are tried of it. Cost to much to do nailed down hardwood so we would have to go with a prefinished floating hardwood (really dont want laminate). For resale reasons we started looking at newer more green choices and need info on cork and bamboo. Any info would be greatly appreciated!!!
cwj

LitigatorChick

Brilliant_Rock
We put industrial grade cork in our basement bathroom. I absolutely love it, and just put it in 2 of my other bathrooms. I love the soft feel, the natural look, etc. It is so easy to instal too (I think we layed down a plasticy underlay on the concrete, just got it at Home Depot). We bought the Wicanders brand.

cwj

Shiny_Rock
I assume you haven''t had it long enough to tell how well it is going to wear? Did you research putting it in your bathrooms? I have found sites that say its great and sites that say its to easy to tear and shows wear quickly. Its hard to get a real idea from most sites because they are linked to some company selling something. Do you have pictures, thats another thing, the samples are to small to tell what it will look like in a whole room and the pictures I find online are not very good to tell what the pattern looks like. Also did you find that the prices were more, less or about the same as floating hardwood?
Sorry so many ?, but I''m really at a lose to find trustworthy info. Thanks for any help!!!!!!!!

LitigatorChick

Brilliant_Rock
I''ll take some pics this weekend for you.

We also found mixed reviews on the internet concerning use in a bathroom. We decided that we would go with the industrial grade, which can withstand water. I don''t know how the price compares to other wood flooring, since we didn''t feel those were an option. It was definately expensive, but the area was small, so we "splurged", so to speak.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My sister has bamboo floors and I''m considering putting them into our new apartment. I like the look of bamboo and they have held up very well. I found a picture where you can see how it looks in a room.

twins 051808 -016.JPG

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
4 years ago we tried to have cork flooring installed......they tried 3 times and the 4th time i had them take it away. there was a problem with the backing on the cork.....just be aware that there can be issues when laying it. i also think the bamboo is a bit more sturdy if you have pets that come indoors......

movie zombie

cwj

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/22/2008 1:26:06 PM
Author: baby monster
My sister has bamboo floors and I''m considering putting them into our new apartment. I like the look of bamboo and they have held up very well. I found a picture where you can see how it looks in a room.
Thanks, I like the look of the bamboo better than most of the cork that I have seen. Naturally I like the color of bamboo after it has been baked, it makes the color little bit darker. That also makes it softer and easier to damage. But I have also been told that bamboo get darker as it ages, so I might get the natural and hope it get darker. Has your sister''s changed any? Do u know what brand she used?
cwj

cwj

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/22/2008 2:24:37 PM
Author: movie zombie
4 years ago we tried to have cork flooring installed......they tried 3 times and the 4th time i had them take it away. there was a problem with the backing on the cork.....just be aware that there can be issues when laying it. i also think the bamboo is a bit more sturdy if you have pets that come indoors......

movie zombie
Wow I haven''t read anything about problems with the backing, thats good to know! We do have dogs, one is only 6 pounds (Yorkie), so that wouldn''t be a problem, but the other is a 85 pound Doberman, so I really do need the strongest! I dont know anybody with either of these two floors to ask questions, so any more info would be greatly appreciated!!
cwj

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/23/2008 6:51:20 AM
Author: cwj

Date: 5/22/2008 1:26:06 PM
Author: baby monster
Thanks, I like the look of the bamboo better than most of the cork that I have seen. Naturally I like the color of bamboo after it has been baked, it makes the color little bit darker. That also makes it softer and easier to damage. But I have also been told that bamboo get darker as it ages, so I might get the natural and hope it get darker. Has your sister''s changed any? Do u know what brand she used?
cwj
I think it got a shade darker over the past 4 years. It was a light blond color when first installed. I don''t know which brand she used but she went with a 4" wide plank and I prefer that look over the 2" plank. It makes the floor look less busy.

cwj

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the info. I am looking further into Bamboo, I think it will look a little better since its going all over the house. The cork might be a little busy in should large areas.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results