shape
carat
color
clarity

Copper Bearing Tourmalines

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Meher Thakker

Rough_Rock
Well I had a question for those who have knowledge of copper bearing tourmalines that are from India. I bought a few roughs and got the copper bearing tests done..and copper shows up in good %...I got a few roughs cut/polished..below are the pics

I am just wondering of the how well are these gems priced ?

In the image the sizes are from 3 cts to 28 cts size of tourmalines...total of 225cts on the image

Meher

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I wouldn''t think they would be worth a great deal - brown is not a sought after colour in gemstones...

Meher Thakker

Rough_Rock

thx for your feedback ..I have attached some other shades too...are these better ?

Meher

tourmaline-xyz.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My opinion that they are worth very little is unchanged. For a cuprian to be worth a lot, it must not only contain a high amount of copper, but also glow as if it has its own internal battery source. See the picture below.

chrono2cuprian.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Original vendor''s picture of the above Mozambique cuprian.

PGMPchrono.jpg

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
hey that looks like some of my ampa tourmalines from orissa india..are you sure it's copper and not chromium? When viewed under chelsea all mine either showed a pink or a strong red.

Meher Thakker

Rough_Rock
maybe the blues are worth higher as I read..
btw..there''s alot of tricks to be used in photography for me I guess :)

I just took the pics under a normal inhouse tube light. Will try and take some pics in the sun tomorrow..maybe they would look a bit different..

thx alot for your help though..PS has really proved useful to me

Meher

Meher Thakker

Rough_Rock
amguy : there are chrome and copper both ..the green ones in the second pics have chrome..but the sunset kind have very good copper..I got my roughs metal tested..and quite a bit of copper in there.

Meher

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
My personal, un - pro opinion: I don''t really care how much metals are in the stones; if they''re not an attractive colour, they are not worth buying, hence there value is...?

Meher Thakker

Rough_Rock
arjunajane ..that was a perfect reply..I understood it well :)

btw ..I already have bought the roughs..now getting them cut..so does''nt matter much now to me..mainly I was attracted to the big sized roughs of 50cts size average..the 2 large peices were around 130cts each..hence I shall collect it ..

Meher

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
It doesn''t matter if it has copper in it or not..heck it could have gold, platinum, and silver all in them but if it doesn''t act as a color or a color enhancer then it will not mean squat on the price..it''s a cool side note..copper, chromium, etc. but vas far as price it doesn''t do anything to it unless it acts on the color of the stone to certain degrees

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/31/2009 10:04:20 AM
Author: Meher Thakker
maybe the blues are worth higher as I read..
btw..there's alot of tricks to be used in photography for me I guess :)

I just took the pics under a normal inhouse tube light. Will try and take some pics in the sun tomorrow..maybe they would look a bit different..

thx alot for your help though..PS has really proved useful to me

Meher
Blue are indeed worth more but if the blue doesn’t glow, it is also valued less and CANNOT be called a Paraiba tourmaline. I don’t know how to photoshop so my picture (the one taken sitting on the lid of the case) is untouched. I also used a cheap point and shoot camera as I don’t know any photography tricks. Many also pay for the looks of the individual gem, not the name or origin or contents of whatever metal.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
did you get the rough from abdul nasar in india? I swear your stones look identical to mine..they are dravites some have green, some brown, some a reddish orange color they are quite cool stones..

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/31/2009 11:39:15 AM
Author: PrecisionGem
Nice looking stone Chrono!!!
9.gif
Thanks Gene, but you already knew that.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/31/2009 12:04:36 PM
Author: Chrono

Date: 8/31/2009 11:39:15 AM
Author: PrecisionGem
Nice looking stone Chrono!!!
9.gif
Thanks Gene, but you already knew that.
As my folks used to say, you guys are members of the Mutual Admiration Society.
9.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dravite (brown tourmaline) is the least expensive tourmaline besides black tourmaline, so regardless of whether it has copper or not, it''s not worth much per carat.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/1/2009 4:25:49 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Dravite (brown tourmaline) is the least expensive tourmaline besides black tourmaline, so regardless of whether it has copper or not, it''s not worth much per carat.
TL your BACK!!!!
36.gif
how have you been? we''ve missed you!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/1/2009 4:34:22 PM
Author: D&T

TL your BACK!!!!
36.gif
how have you been? we''ve missed you!

Yay! Nice to see you again!
35.gif

zeolite

Brilliant_Rock
We missed you! Welcome back!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks!!

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
TL!!!!!!!!!!!

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
oh but TL i must respectfully disagree about your "dravite" is the least expensive besides black..chrome tourmaline is dravite tourmaline colored by chrome and we all know chrome tourm. is somewhat expensive...but i know what you mean and i am just getting technical..LOL
9.gif
9.gif

glad you are back

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/1/2009 7:57:22 PM
Author: amethystguy
oh but TL i must respectfully disagree about your ''dravite'' is the least expensive besides black..chrome tourmaline is dravite tourmaline colored by chrome and we all know chrome tourm. is somewhat expensive...but i know what you mean and i am just getting technical..LOL
9.gif
9.gif

glad you are back
Hi Amguy,
Admittedly, I didn''t know that dravite could also be colored by chrome. I thought it was strictly brown tourmaline. Thanks for the kind words.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
well brucetourm taught me that the green chrome ourmaline you all buy and see is actually dravite colored by chromium to make it green..i figured it was elbaite but he told me it was dravite(species)..never really thought about it before

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/1/2009 7:57:22 PM
oh but TL i must respectfully disagree about your ''dravite'' is the least expensive besides black..chrome tourmaline is dravite tourmaline colored by chrome and we all know chrome tourm. is somewhat expensive...but i know what you mean and i am just getting technical..LOL
9.gif
9.gif

glad you are back

Amethystguy - Is chrome and chromium actually the same thing. I thought chrome was metal plate and chromium an element. I hope this doesn''t sound picky, it''s just that I''ve seen the two terms used quite often and wonder if the term is interchangable, or refers to two different things.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
chrome is chromium..or chrome plating on a car or something is the process of surfacing with chromium..it''s just the sortening of the word chromium..so chrome rims on cars can or should be called chromium rims..just a shortened version..hope this helps
jason

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/2/2009 8:24:47 AM
chrome is chromium..or chrome plating on a car or something is the process of surfacing with chromium..it''s just the sortening of the word chromium..so chrome rims on cars can or should be called chromium rims..just a shortened version..hope this helps

jason

Ahhhh. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results