shape
carat
color
clarity

Cooler pillows and bed?

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does anyone have a good way to keep pillows and bed cool for sleeping? I am waking up at night miserable as the pillows around me (and the bed when I am able to sleep there) just get so warm from my body heat. It is 67 degrees in the house with humidity around 45% and a full house fan keeping air moving. It should be comfortable! The problem seems to be that my body warms the pillows up and then the pillows make me too warm.

Current pillows are gel foam that are supposed to help keep you cool while sleeping. We also have a topper on the bed of a similar cooling gel foam. DH says it is great and it doesn't get warm around him.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I use a buckwheat pillow and I love it! Keeps me cool, offers excellent support, and because it forms to your head & neck it is blissfully comfy (I like a cloud-like soft pillow but they kill my neck). I use organic cotton sheets (my absolute favorite are by Sleep & Beyond) and I think that helps too.

Kapok is another great material for pillows, along with shredded latex. I have slept on all of these and they don't make me hot like the tempurpedic foam pillow did.

Good luck! A good night's sleep is priceless, and it's mind boggling how many little details have to come together to make a difference.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I use a buckwheat pillow and I love it! Keeps me cool, offers excellent support, and because it forms to your head & neck it is blissfully comfy (I like a cloud-like soft pillow but they kill my neck). I use organic cotton sheets (my absolute favorite are by Sleep & Beyond) and I think that helps too.

Kapok is another great material for pillows, along with shredded latex. I have slept on all of these and they don't make me hot like the tempurpedic foam pillow did.

Good luck! A good night's sleep is priceless, and it's mind boggling how many little details have to come together to make a difference.

Thanks! I'll check them out. We need new sheets so great time to try something new. Sounds like you enjoy the same type of pillows I do. My neck also disagrees. The gel foam were what I found when I needed super soft yet supportive. I remember seeing buckwheat pillows during my search. Not sure why I didn't try them other than I was too tired to keep shopping. ( I had just gotten out of the hospital and was still blind in one eye plus in a lot of pain...)

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oof, that will definitely shorten any shopping trip! I hope that's all a distant memory?

It seems like there's no way a buckwheat pillow could ever be comfortable. The pillow is heavy as heck and an odd concept, but it really works. You just have to get the right amount of fill - take a little out, add a little in, so easy to get it just right. When you do... ahhhh. :))

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oof, that will definitely shorten any shopping trip! I hope that's all a distant memory?

It seems like there's no way a buckwheat pillow could ever be comfortable. The pillow is heavy as heck and an odd concept, but it really works. You just have to get the right amount of fill - take a little out, add a little in, so easy to get it just right. When you do... ahhhh. :))

I wish it was a distant memory! I'm happy that it is less severe and something I am continuing to learn to live with. My vision is (mostly) back as long as I don't get too warm or stressed. The pain is mostly settled to a full aggravation. Sleeping is still a challenge. Even a small wrinkle or a wrong texture causes me pain.

The gel pillows are comfortable but get warm. I think they will continue to work great for under my arms and (maybe) legs. I'm also playing with the idea of a separate foot blanket under the comforter so that I can have my feet covered, legs exposed, and arms covered.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so sorry for what you're going through! It sounds miserable. I really hope you find things to make you as comfortable as possible.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
We have had a chilipad from chilitechnology for years and it has been an awesome addition. A bit pricey, but the investment was well worth it for us to get better sleep and the customer service has been great also. Good luck, getting a good night sleep is so important!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have had a chilipad from chilitechnology for years and it has been an awesome addition. A bit pricey, but the investment was well worth it for us to get better sleep and the customer service has been great also. Good luck, getting a good night sleep is so important!

That looks interesting! I love that they are doing a 20% off coupon too....
A bit $$$, but being able to sleep comfortably would be worth it! Definitely considering the option. Thank you!

voce

Ideal_Rock
Stuff like this. I love sleeping on woven bamboo mats.
Screenshot_20200807-202612.png Screenshot_20200807-202532.png

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
That looks interesting! I love that they are doing a 20% off coupon too....
A bit $$$, but being able to sleep comfortably would be worth it! Definitely considering the option. Thank you!

We have had ours for many years and use it mostly for cooling, but also periodically for warming the bed on super cold nights-well worth the money for us. Good luck :)

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stuff like this. I love sleeping on woven bamboo mats.
Screenshot_20200807-202612.png Screenshot_20200807-202532.png

I don't think I have ever seen anything like that! Will check it out. Thank you!

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, I forgot about wool! Wool toppers and wool pillows feel incredible and wool is a natural temperature regulator. I have a latex mattress with a layer of wool in the organic cotton cover and I don't sleep hot with it.

I haven't tried a wool pillow, but it's another idea.

CozyPure has a company you can check out for wool toppers and pillows.

MamaBear

Brilliant_Rock
Following

dmack

Shiny_Rock
We have the classic percale sheets from Brooklinen and they’re great - crisp and cool.

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have this problem too - it's very frustrating! My head sweats all night long and drives me nuts. I have a LOT of hair, but even when it's pulled back, I get very hot in the night. I used the as seen on TV "Chillow" for a while years ago, but I think my husband threw it out when we moved. It DID work, but I think one leaked on the bed one night - small price to pay for being cool. It was out of production for a while, but I'm pretty sure it's back now and potentially improved.

Here's the one that they are making now: https://www.mycoolingstore.com/chil...MI3o-25P-L6wIVGODICh3KlwC6EAQYBSABEgIFN_D_BwE

This also looks good for under the sheets, but I have never tried this myself: https://www.sharperimage.com/si/view/product/Self-Cooling+Body+Pad/205342?p=plist2470005&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=CPC&utm_campaign=Shopping+Campaigns+High+Priority&Keyword=&device=c&creative=379894056688&cm_mmc=CPC-_-Google-_-Shopping+Campaigns+High+Priority-_-379894056688&network=g&matchtype=&adpos=&creative=379894056688&mkwid=1x0qnRUX|pkw||pcrid|379894056688|pmt||pdv|c|slid||&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3OeypIGM6wIV8_3jBx2h8QBSEAQYBCABEgKHcfD_BwE

This one too: (looks good, never used personally) https://www.mycoolingstore.com/mattress-cooler-small-topper-pad-27x63-black.html

AdrianClark1hv

Rough_Rock
Trade
Does anyone have a good way to keep pillows and bed cool for sleeping? I am waking up at night miserable as the pillows around me (and the bed when I am able to sleep there) just get so warm from my body heat. It is 67 degrees in the house with humidity around 45% and a full house fan keeping air moving. It should be comfortable! The problem seems to be that my body warms the pillows up and then the pillows make me too warm.

Current pillows are gel foam that are supposed to help keep you cool while sleeping. We also have a topper on the bed of a similar cooling gel foam. DH says it is great and it doesn't get warm around him.

I just turn them over and it helps them stay cold

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm considering this chili pad @stepcutnut! I'm glad to hear it's worth it - I'd pay an awful lot of money for a good night's sleep :love:

I have a chili pad and it does work. The fan noise bothered me but didn’t bother my husband at all. If you are noise sensitive ask about dB levels for both units. I ended up getting a new bed frame with higher clearance and putting the unit under the bed to soften the fan noise.

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
We switched the linen sheets, they are super soft and cool. They are also naturally antimicrobial like Bamboo, so they never get stinky. My issue is our mattress holds in heat like an oven.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just turn them over and it helps them stay cold

That has been my current approach and it is exhausting me. I sleep with 8-10 pillows so moving any means disrupting all of them. That plus the CPAP make the process miserable and disruptive.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a chili pad and it does work. The fan noise bothered me but didn’t bother my husband at all. If you are noise sensitive ask about dB levels for both units. I ended up getting a new bed frame with higher clearance and putting the unit under the bed to soften the fan noise.

Good information! Noise bothers me terribly as I sleep. If it is constant, I can eventually get myself to ignore it mostly. We have a bed frame that has a fair amount of clearance under for drawers to fit.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We switched the linen sheets, they are super soft and cool. They are also naturally antimicrobial like Bamboo, so they never get stinky. My issue is our mattress holds in heat like an oven.

We had been using these until the texture bothered me. Will have to explore again and try out bamboo.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I threw a wrinkle in the bed cooling challenge. My back has been needing something different and I finally found a pillow I am sure will help my back and get me back to sleeping in the bed. Unfortunately, it is sort of huge. If it ever gets here (ordered August 10), I will have to play around with some of the ideas here and see what will work with the thing.

The pillow:
516EFj648IL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
We had been using these until the texture bothered me. Will have to explore again and try out bamboo.

I didn't care for the cheaper ones but we got the vintage linen from Matteo LA and they are like cotton feel. Its insane. Their factory is in LA and they make everything locally. Was fun to go watch when we were allowed out of the house

AdrianClark1hv

Rough_Rock
Trade
In fact, it all depends only on the material of the pillow. I have so many different pillows and the problem is that they all get hot very quickly and cannot be cooled. I even tried putting them in the refrigerator, but it didn't work, or rather it only worked for a while. I recently ordered several Husband Pillows so that he could work more comfortably on the couch at the computer and I was shocked when I realized that they cool very quickly. These are just super comfy pillows with excellent material and by the way they are inexpensive!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results