shape
carat
color
clarity

Convertible car seat help, please

Munchkin

Brilliant_Rock
The great news is that DS appetite stimulant has been so effective that he's had a growth spurt and is unexpectedly too tall for his keyfit 30! As far as weight goes, he's gained 3 pounds since March 3rd! We are absolutely thrilled, but left to scramble for car seat opinions. I really wish Chicco made a seat between infant and booster.

As a compulsive over-researcher, I don't like the pressure of making a quick choice. :nono:

I do daycare drop off and DH does pick up, so he's in both our cars daily. We will need 2 seats that can go rear and front facing and fit into an outback and a corolla. Ideally we'll get two of the same just so we don't have to learn two seats. I think we'll also need to buy a cheaper 3rd to have on hand as my Mum watches him one a day week in the summer and my BIL is staying with us this summer and occasionally does the pick up. Up to now, we've had the convenience of 4 bases and one seat. I know we've been spoiled with the ridiculous ease of installing the Chicco and I'm resigning myself to the fact that finding a similar trait in a convertible seat is a pipe dream.

I looked at the Britax due to reputation but admittedly balked at the $280 (a piece) price tag and bulky design.

So, beloved pscope parents, what do you recommend? Are Britax seats really worth it? (I know that I shouldn't put a price tag on B's safety, but we are still paying off medical bills from his last few procedures and money is tight.) Is there another brand you would heartily recommend?

Thanks in advance!

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
We have Britaxes for our 2 kids, as well as a Cosco Scenara for the RFing toddler and Grace Nautilus for the 4 year old.

My 2 year old has 2 Roundabouts- one is the Classic and one is the 55. To be quite honest, if I had known how tall he has turned out to be, I would not have gotten the Britax. I believe they have shorter shells than other brands, which means your child could outgrow the seat RFing by height before they would in other brands. I think there's also something about how Britax are less roomy for legs in the RFing position, which means your child could potentially be more uncomfortable and complain more. I know it's hard for me to get him in there RF with our mini-van set up.

What I would've gotten was a Diono Radian, which is sort of this 3 in 1 seat- RFing, FFing, and then turns into a booster seat. I think it has a higher tolerance for RFing, so we could've RFd the 2 year old longer. With the old Roundabout, he outgrew it RFing well before 2 and with the 55, he probably has 1.5-2" left total, which means about .5-1" before he outgrows it per the hard shell rule. He turned 2 in April, so he hasn't lasted that long in the seat. Having said all that, we've been happy with the Britax, other than the height issue.

My friend has an Evenflo Symphony 65, which is the same concept as the Radian, and she really likes it.

ETA: about the cheap 3rd seat...that's what we use the Scenara for. It's installed in my sister's car and my son is in it maybe once every few months. Like the Roundabout Classic, he has well outgrown it RFing. It definitely isn't as plush as the Roundabout and isn't nearly as comfortable or smooth to use, but it works.

ETA2: sorry, I keep forgetting stuff! I think the Radian is even pricier than Britax, but if you figure it's a seat that could last you 10 years (per their website) and boosters up to 120 lbs, it could be well worth it.

Kunzite

Brilliant_Rock
We're Radian converts also. LOVE our Radians. We started with the Roundabout and still like it a lot, but got a few Radians when we found out we were going to have three babies in convertibles eventually (the Radians are skinny). The Radian feels so much more solid than the Roundabout. They're both rated very well so I'm sure it's not much of a difference, but it feels like it. It's really heavy without being bulky, if that makes sense. I also love that the Radian can be used as a booster. I've been able to find them online for as low as $170.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock

Munchkin

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you so much for the advice! I knew I could count on pricescope parents.

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
We have a Britax Blvd 70 and we like it. Our original plan was to keep DS rearfacing until 2, but he objected to it so we turned him around a few months after he turned one. We've all been much happier in the car since then LOL!

My only complaint about the seat is that there are no cupholders built into the seat. It's a separate attachment that DS has a hard time reaching.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
We loved our roundabout. Just moved DD out (40lbs, 4.5 yrs old). Not b/c she hit the limit (50 lbs) but it seemed time for a booster. Off to CL it goes.

ponder

Brilliant_Rock
I have three kid under three years and think I have owned almost every britax carseat ever made, with the exception of the roundabout. I LOVE how sturdy they feel when installed properly. Strap adjustment on some models has been difficult, but I LOVE the newer Marathon 70! Installation is easy, strap adjustment is easy, but it is a big car seat. I also have never had leg room issues when rear facing and i keep my kids rear facing until age two. FYI car seats, including britax go on sale in Sept and Feb. You can usually find them online for about $200.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results