shape
carat
color
clarity

Contemplating this Tourmaline...

LittleRed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love @Gemobsessed ‘s blue green tourmaline and I’d love a ring just like it. I know an exact replica is probably not going to happen but it’s worth a try to get something equally beautiful.

This blueish-green tourmaline is 8mm. It’s a bit bigger than I was planning but certainly worth considering. I wear a 4.75 and am looking for a casual, low key ring. I can probably get that feel with a simple setting given the size.

Anyway, please let me know what you think of this gem - color, cut, overall fabulousness or not, etc. (There is a good return policy.)
6B64F715-F6AC-465C-B107-A36E6EA7E0D8.jpeg

Thanks!!!

leslie1956

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love @Gemobsessed ‘s blue green tourmaline and I’d love a ring just like it. I know an exact replica is probably not going to happen but it’s worth a try to get something equally beautiful.

This blueish-green tourmaline is 8mm. It’s a bit bigger than I was planning but certainly worth considering. I wear a 4.75 and am looking for a casual, low key ring. I can probably get that feel with a simple setting given the size.

Anyway, please let me know what you think of this gem - color, cut, overall fabulousness or not, etc. (There is a good return policy.)

Thanks!!!
Lovely color! I'm somewhat in your boat because I wear a 5.25. I simply can't wear 4+ carat stones, they are just too much, especially for a retired person who wears casual clothes most of the time :)

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful stone but it does look more green than blue to me. If you love it though, you’re good!

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Strangely I dont see a strong blue seccondary colour in that stone, I kind of see yellow.

Have you looked at Rioux Rocks and litnon? Both have some nice tourmalines. John dyer has some spectacular ones too.

Gemobsessed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Mine is also more green than blue ! I’ll show you those pictures

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It does look exactly like gemobsessed's one. These ones are less green/blue tourm and more green tourm with a tiny tiny hint of blue sometimes. Utterly beautiful none the less.

LittleRed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Strangely I dont see a strong blue seccondary colour in that stone, I kind of see yellow.

Have you looked at Rioux Rocks and litnon? Both have some nice tourmalines. John dyer has some spectacular ones too.

I asked about yellow (thinking I saw some) but he said it’s a “bluish green with no yellowish tones.”

LittleRed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Lovely color! I'm somewhat in your boat because I wear a 5.25. I simply can't wear 4+ carat stones, they are just too much, especially for a retired person who wears casual clothes most of the time :)

Would you be able to easily wear a 2+ ct stone at 8mm with ease and feel casual?

LittleRed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I got it! :P2

I’m excited but nervous too. I’ll post it once I get it and hopefully it will be a keeper.

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It’s so beautiful! I love the cut.

leslie1956

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Would you be able to easily wear a 2+ ct stone at 8mm with ease and feel casual?
Yes, that would be my upper limit :) A setting that lies close to my hand would be good, too. I was looking at blue zircon rings in Etsy this morning and was thinking that a stone in the 6-8mm range would be perfect.

LittleRed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes, that would be my upper limit :) A setting that lies close to my hand would be good, too. I was looking at blue zircon rings in Etsy this morning and was thinking that a stone in the 6-8mm range would be perfect.

I have hope this size will be just right. A blue zircon in that exact size range is next on my list but not for a very long time! Gems seem to accumulate. :lol-2:

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
I got it! :P2

I’m excited but nervous too. I’ll post it once I get it and hopefully it will be a keeper.

Hurray! I hope it will be just like the photos!

LittleRed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
As I wait for its arrival, I keep looking at its pic and video. I can’t wait to see it in person!

This tourmaline is from Namibia. If I could have all aspects I want in a stone, the tourmaline I get would be from Afghanistan (kind of like emeralds I get need to be from Columbia). How do Namibia tourmalines compare to Afghan ones?

Thanks!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
B2542D81-AD03-43FB-9C12-E30B5D997EF6.jpeg 5DF6C125-0AC9-46CD-94FD-1D118315D4C7.jpeg 50CF1784-1C3D-4489-8E38-A37CD5EFBBC6.jpeg CAB5AF47-8B9C-478D-ABE4-F39EA738DC42.jpeg 59A29A31-37CF-4CE5-8689-4799A416B74B.jpeg
So excited for you! Looking forward to hear your reaction when you have received your stone.

I only have an Afgan so cannot compare the two in reality). Here some examples of Afghan stones (1st from Laurie, 2nd @SparkliesLuver and 3rd is mine).

LittleRed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
B2542D81-AD03-43FB-9C12-E30B5D997EF6.jpeg 5DF6C125-0AC9-46CD-94FD-1D118315D4C7.jpeg 50CF1784-1C3D-4489-8E38-A37CD5EFBBC6.jpeg CAB5AF47-8B9C-478D-ABE4-F39EA738DC42.jpeg 59A29A31-37CF-4CE5-8689-4799A416B74B.jpeg
So excited for you! Looking forward to hear your reaction when you have received your stone.

I only have an Afgan so cannot compare the two in reality). Here some examples of Afghan stones (1st from Laurie, 2nd @SparkliesLuver and 3rd is mine).

Oh wow! :roll2: Those are so beautiful! I hope mine can run in the same league. I’ll definitely be sharing as soon as it arrives. I’m kind of wishing it were an Afghan, but that’s purely based on my own snobbery. :whistle: I have no reason to doubt it’s beauty at this point.

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Thanks!!!

It looks beautiful to me! I love the color and the cut!

LittleRed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I figured I’d post here instead of starting a new thread. I sure could use some help!

I am still waiting on the above tourmaline to arrive. Since it’s on its way, I’ll go ahead and say it’s from Sunshine Gems (I think his name is Daniel). It’s 8mm. Here it is again:
16052696-11AE-48CD-94E9-97FD70A5CFD0.jpeg

I also have the opportunity to get this gem (below). It’s a screen shot from a video. It’s a checkerboard cut..... I don’t generally like checkerboard cuts for myself but this seems to be different. It could possibly look very pretty! I’m told there is a small veil hidden close to the girdle that isn't eye visible and won’t spoil the stone. It’s 8.2mm.
C43B14B2-EDE6-4890-A8A7-99026BA433AB.jpeg

I’m so inexperienced with gem buying. I wish I could see them both in person without the stress of buying them only to return one or both. Please let me know what you think of both gems - the good and the bad. I need opinions to help me decide.

Thanks!!!

LittleRed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

@Acinom, how possible would it be to find a tourmaline the same color, tone, and saturation of yours and the others you posted above? I’m guessing you found a unicorn and it would be super hard to find one like it. Just making sure before I move forward with finding my own tourmaline.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Acinom, how possible would it be to find a tourmaline the same color, tone, and saturation of yours and the others you posted above? I’m guessing you found a unicorn and it would be super hard to find one like it. Just making sure before I move forward with finding my own tourmaline.
Not sure... Hopefully others will chime in. We found these at Precision Gem (Gene). You could contact him to ask if he has more rough.

LittleRed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Not sure... Hopefully others will chime in. We found these at Precision Gem (Gene). You could contact him to ask if he has more rough.

How long ago were these cut? I might go ahead and ask him - what’s one more option at this point? :lol-2:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How long ago were these cut? I might go ahead and ask him - what’s one more option at this point? :lol-2:
This was back in november 2014. He had quite some rough of the same source though and did not cut it in one go. And perhaps he has sourced more. It never hurts to ask.

LittleRed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This was back in november 2014. He had quite some rough of the same source though and did not cut it in one go. And perhaps he has sourced more. It never hurts to ask.

Thanks! I have. I hope to hear from him soon. :geek2: If he has something I may very well return the one coming from elsewhere. This gem buying involves some serious cut-throat decisions! :lol-2:

LittleRed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The gem has arrived! Please let me know your thoughts! I really could use some expert advice on this gem. I am unsure and certainly not experienced with gem assessments.

Here are my thoughts so far:
- 8mm is big. Though I think I can handle it. ;)2
- The cut is very pretty. I like it.
- That leaves me with the color/saturation. It’s a bit muted and medium in saturation. It’s not necessarily bluish-green but seems more of a blueish mossy green without yellow.

Is it a keeper? Please help me decide. I’m all ears. Thanks!

0D41B20C-3F89-4F34-990C-29C42642922E.jpeg

Next to a peridot and an emerald.
99D89E32-3022-45B0-877B-60EFEE592B52.jpeg

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you love it? When you first opened it and caught a glimpse, how did you feel. I usually find that my first instincts are the right ones when it comes to gems.

It’s a pretty color. A nice forest green. And I think you can easily rock that 8mm. ;)2

LittleRed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Do you love it? When you first opened it and caught a glimpse, how did you feel. I usually find that my first instincts are the right ones when it comes to gems.

It’s a pretty color. A nice forest green. And I think you can easily rock that 8mm. ;)2

It is a pretty green. And, thanks! 8mm is getting smaller every time I look at it.

My first reaction was, “It’s pretty. It’s not exactly what I was going for in regards to a blueish-green. I do like it though.” And, “I don’t know! I need help from ps!!!” ;)2

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It is a very pretty stone. I don’t think it looks like your inspiration picture stones color wise though.

@Acinom, how possible would it be to find a tourmaline the same color, tone, and saturation of yours and the others you posted above? I’m guessing you found a unicorn and it would be super hard to find one like it..
It is super hard to find a stone like the ones Acinom pictured. I think they are out there though. I have purchased several green tourmalines on my hunt for the right one. I’m terrible at returning things, so have kept stones I feel “meh” about, and then end up buying another hoping it will be the right one. Will this stone fulfill your need for a blue-green tourmaline? If so, I would say keep it, if not, I would return it and keep looking for the right one.

LittleRed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It is a very pretty stone. I don’t think it looks like your inspiration picture stones color wise though.

Will this stone fulfill your need for a blue-green tourmaline? If so, I would say keep it, if not, I would return it and keep looking for the right one.

Thanks for saying it’s very pretty. And I agree it doesn’t look like my inspiration pics. I think that’s the problem. It’s so different that maybe I should keep it and try again for another blue green tourmaline. So basically that’s the opposite of what you said which I totally agree with. Decisions! :eek2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results