shape
carat
color
clarity

Considering gifting my SIL a diamond necklace

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My SIL is twenty four, turning twenty five in January. I have a 3/4 carat three stone diamond necklace I'm considering gifting to her for Christmas. This necklace was gifted to me in 2003 after my condo was broken into and all my good jewelry was stolen, it was like a rebuilding start for me. At the time we paid $1,000 for it from Zales so you know the quality is not the best but I don't wear it anymore and I'm throwing around this idea in my head that someone should be enjoying it.

My idea is to pass down this necklace to her with a very heartfelt letter to let her know how much she means to me. The only hesitation is, is she possibly too young?

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think 25 is too young. Quarter of a century! It's not like she's some 16 teeny bopper.

What a lovely gift and thoughtful gesture!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not too young, as long as you know she would love it to pieces and enjoy wearing it.

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
I think it's a lovely idea! Especially if you add a heartfelt letter. I'm sure she would appreciate it! :appl:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ha - 25 now is not like 25 50 years ago, if you KWIM! If she's careless, flakey, immature, irresponsible, something this valuable might not make sense. Since we do not know her personally, we cannot gauge if she's ready for such a gift. What does your head and heart say?

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
StephanieLynn|1478718053|4095897 said:
My SIL is twenty four, turning twenty five in January. I have a 3/4 carat three stone diamond necklace I'm considering gifting to her for Christmas. This necklace was gifted to me in 2003 after my condo was broken into and all my good jewelry was stolen, it was like a rebuilding start for me. At the time we paid $1,000 for it from Zales so you know the quality is not the best but I don't wear it anymore and I'm throwing around this idea in my head that someone should be enjoying it.

My idea is to pass down this necklace to her with a very heartfelt letter to let her know how much she means to me. The only hesitation is, is she possibly too young?

I don't think she's too young. What a thoughtful gift =)

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PintoBean|1478719426|4095928 said:
Ha - 25 now is not like 25 50 years ago, if you KWIM! If she's careless, flakey, immature, irresponsible, something this valuable might not make sense. Since we do not know her personally, we cannot gauge if she's ready for such a gift. What does your head and heart say?

Oh, she is very responsible. She's working on her masters degree currently for veterinary medicine. It's one of those things where I don't know that this is something she would pick out for herself but I believe she will like it and appreciate the sentimental nature of it. I've told my husband that she is to get my jewelry when I pass on someday since she is my husband's sister and I don't have any daughters and never will now that the factory is closed ;-)

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wish I'd had a diamond necklace when I was 25 and my chest was pretty and my neck and chin were sitting just where they were supposed to be!!!! I wasn't into jewelry then because I couldn't afford jewelry. My female relatives all hung on to their pieces until they were 6' under, no one generous and wonderful like you!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a lovely and thoughtful gift Stephanie. She will remember this gift and letter for many many years to come.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a wonderful generous and thoughtful gift Stephanie! I am sure she will love it. :appl:

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
StephanieLynn|1478718053|4095897 said:

Maybe she is, but it's quite heartfelt, she must mean a lot to you. I gave my son my AVC diamond, I feel better for it (although I miss it)... I'm glad I did it.. that is so nice of you.. I love my SIL too!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for all the really lovely replies. She is one of my very favorite people and that says a lot because I can probably count them on one hand lol! So I'm going to go ahead and give it to her for Christmas, I think she will love it and I'm pretty excited to give it to her :dance:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a beautiful and heartfelt idea, I am sure she will love it!!!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh yes, seeing that she's your SIL as in your husband's sister, I think that is fine. I hesitate to give my SIL jewelry because she is my brother's wife - and I don't want to overstep or show him up! But if she is your husband's sister I think there is no issue.

P

PierreBear

What a thoughtful gift! I personally don't think she is too young to wear a necklace, especially when it is an expression of love. I always enjoy getting compliments on an accessory (even when it is not fine jewelry) and to provide a quick story that "so and so" got it for me for this occasion. Hope she enjoys it!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results