shape
carat
color
clarity

Considering career options in jewelry trade - need expert opinions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi all,

I''m 28 and have loved jewelry since I was a child. Although I did contemplate a career in the trade in highschool, I didn''t pursue it and instead ended up as a manager in the software industry. :)

However, I''ve recently begun taking a course in basic gemmology at EGM (Montreal School of Gemmology). I''ve since learned there are numerous career possibilities in this field (to name a few... appraiser, stone dealer, setter, lab worker, lapidary, store owner, etc).

I''m now exploring the option of eventually changing careers... but I''d like your advice on what might be suitable for me given certain constraints, such as:

- I''d like to work with the public (ie: consumers)
- I gravitate towards set jewelry vs loose stones
- I don''t think into fabrication or cutting (leave that to someone else)
- I''d probably like to own my own business some day (ie: generate my own income)
- I do *not* wish to travel on a regular basis
- I''d like a career that would allow me to have a personal life (ie: does not require long hours all the time)

So, from what I know so far, I think options could be appraiser, or in sales? Does anything else come to mind?

I also am wondering what accreditation might be suitable. EGM is encouraging students to pursue the school''s own gemmologist certificate program; however, they also offer a FGA program and GIA-GG programs (diamonds and/or colored stones). Also, I know some people also do separate programs in jewelry-making, design, etc. Do I need any or all of these accreditations? What makes sense for my situation?

Thanks for any and all insight!! I am open to any advice anyone may have.

Thanks so much!

Anne

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Pursue the FGA or GG diplomas. FGA is recognized the world over and is a more technically superior educationally product, while the GIA diploma is also recognized the world over, but is more a sales related, less geology based product. Both are good courses and will allow you to be recognized as "edjumacated"
19.gif

EXPERIENCE is key to success. You get it by WORKING for someone who knows more than you do and by working hard. In big businesses your life is not your own and you will have some long hours. If you only want to have a work-hobby, then a lighter approach will do, but real success depends on you and your committment to learning, work and time in training with a knowledgeable set of people.

This applies to all work, not just jewelry. Success for most people is derived from effort and not from old money or luck. I wish it was otherwise, but for most of us, it is our own work ethic that counts. It also helps a great deal if you have the aptitude for the job and the intelligence to rapidly learn. Slow learners are just not up to self employment. In addition, to be self employed requires skill sets beyond specialized expertise. You have to understand BUSINESS, not just your elite specialty.

I hope I am not scaring you and that you already know all this. Maybe some other readers will benefit more than you from this lecture. I apologize for sounding like King of Jewelers, which I am definitly not. I do have a long family business history and managed to make my way to 39 years of self sufficiency in this business. I could have made more money, I suppose, but I sort of like what I do and where I am today. That's okay in my book.

Tool Guy

Rough_Rock
Anne, I would consider the GIA GG course. I have started with diamonds and diamond grading and the GIA puts out a nice course you can study at home and then take the one week hands on when they come to your area. Just my opion.
1.gif

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
David and Tool Guy,

Thank you both for your thoughts.

I can appreciate the points in David''s post about hard work, etc. I presume (hope? ;-) I have a degree of intelligence and work ethic, as I''ve achieved some success in my current (non-jewelry) career. The reason I am now considering an eventual career change is that I truly *enjoy* working with jewelry. I''d love to have a job that I can say that I love!

Okay, so back to one of my original questions (to anyone who may still be reading)... what specific occupation(s) might you suggest for me? Assuming I obtain a gemmologist diploma/certificate, what can I *do* with it?? That''s the mysterious part for me. Where might I fit given the likes/dislikes mentioned in my original post?

PS - I do agree with the idea of working for someone else to learn the ins and outs before attempting anything on my own... but I need help with knowing which direction to aim for. :)

Thanks again,

Anne

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I’m presuming that you’re a Canadian resident so I think the FGA program would suit you better and it’s quite a bit less money than GIA’s. Talk to the career advisor at your school but nothing is going to meet your list of specs. Being an appraisal takes experience and tons of it. A GG or FGA is the beginning of the education, not the end.. Retail sales has long and often unusual hours. Wholesale sales requires lots of travel. Manufacturing gets your fingers dirty. Store owner takes an investment of capital and, if you want a successful store, long hard hours PLUS travel PLUS dirty fingers. Decide where you want to compromise. Try force ranking your requirements. Rank the following in order of 1-10.

Steady hours
Short (or at least not long) hours
No travel
Good personal interaction
Clean fingers
Self employment
Working with products that you personally like (finished jewelry)

Add the following:

Good pay in the first 5 years
Good pay after 5 years
Low investment
Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Anne,

If you''re interested in working with consumers and fine jewelry in an environment with normal (?) hours, try this:

Find a small independent guild jewelry store that features upscale quality jewelry. Learn the products in a less stressful sales environment.
Ideally the owner or manager will have an FGA or GG diploma and can be your mentor as you study either course while working "in the field."
Also, smaller independents have shorter, more normal hours if they''re not in a mall. Your learning pace will accelerate if you immerse yourself in all phases of the business. I grew up in the family jewelry business and worked my way up in this industry from the bottom. It''s a wonderful industry with many opportunities.

Do what makes sense for you personally, professionally and financially. Good luck!

www.metrojewelryappraisers.com

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi Neil and Jeff,

Thank you very much for your posts. Both were helpful and gave me some suggestions to think about.

BTW, my concerns about hours and travel are only because I now have a family. Otherwise, I wouldn''t mind to travel or work long hours (which I''ve done in the past in my current career). So part of my current investigatory process is to see if there are any occupations in the trade into which my constraints will fit. If the answer is no, so be it. Although I hope that''s not the case! :)

Again, thanks everyone. Your input will help me decide whether to stick with what I''m doing or work towards changing careers. EGM offers many of their courses on a part-time basis, so I can study in the evenings/weekends if I decide to go for it.

Thanks again!

Anne

PS - If anyone else reading this has any additional career ideas or other suggestions, by all means please post!

TheDoctor

Shiny_Rock
Hello Anne,

The trade is a little different in Canada than in other countires.
It can be challenging making a living, as the culture for the appreciation of jewellery is almost non-existant.
There has been a huge move toward sales volumes of marginal merchandise, pathetic in both apperance and quality.

You may invest money in education that will take years to recover doing appraisals. If you study design, you may be better able to make some sort of decent living working in an upscale jewellery establishment, doing counter sketches for clients and making sales which earn commission. Salespeople who move merchandise are much better treated than those who do service work, and they get to keep their hands clean. I would suggest investigating art classes which focus on design. This will take you much further, at least in the short term, and won''t cost you tens of thousands of dollars.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results