shape
carat
color
clarity

"Conning" the ring out of him

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

EricaR

Ideal_Rock
31.gif

Please note that the following post is purely for fun. My boyfriend and I have a very lighthearted relationship and now that the ring has been purchased and most of the big big decisions have been made I want to have a bit of fun.

Now to the fun stuff. Ever since the ring arrived last Friday I''ve been trying to get him to give it to me. I know he''s probably got a date in mind, but I''ve been having a lot of fun with this.

So far I''ve tried:

1. I offered to make him his favorite kind of pie or cookies. That was shot down before the whole sentence got out of my mouth!
2. He mentioned that he might be willing to give me my ring if I gave him one too. I went into the kitchen, removed the plastic ring from the new jug of milk, stapled the ends together and tried to give him that. He refused and said I had to get down on one knee. When I did that and offered him the ring he looked at it carefully and then threw it away saying "Shoddy Workmanship".
38.gif

3. Yesterday I had a doctor appointment and I got the doctor to fill out a prescription slip that said "Diagnosis: Lovesickness. Treatment: Apply one sparkly ring immediately." This got a laugh out of K but still no ring.

I''m trying to come up with more ideas for the coming weeks. Any suggestions?

41.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh my gosh, too funny!! Your #2 had me
rofl.gif

MissErin

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/16/2008 3:05:32 PM
Author:EricaR
31.gif

Please note that the following post is purely for fun. My boyfriend and I have a very lighthearted relationship and now that the ring has been purchased and most of the big big decisions have been made I want to have a bit of fun.

Now to the fun stuff. Ever since the ring arrived last Friday I''ve been trying to get him to give it to me. I know he''s probably got a date in mind, but I''ve been having a lot of fun with this.

So far I''ve tried:

1. I offered to make him his favorite kind of pie or cookies. That was shot down before the whole sentence got out of my mouth!
2. He mentioned that he might be willing to give me my ring if I gave him one too. I went into the kitchen, removed the plastic ring from the new jug of milk, stapled the ends together and tried to give him that. He refused and said I had to get down on one knee. When I did that and offered him the ring he looked at it carefully and then threw it away saying ''Shoddy Workmanship''.
38.gif

3. Yesterday I had a doctor appointment and I got the doctor to fill out a prescription slip that said ''Diagnosis: Lovesickness. Treatment: Apply one sparkly ring immediately.'' This got a laugh out of K but still no ring.

I''m trying to come up with more ideas for the coming weeks. Any suggestions?

41.gif

No suggestions but I had to remark that this is ADORABLE!! I love how cute you two are about it!! Very sweet and endearing. Good luck with nexts weeks trials!!

sweetjettagirl04

Shiny_Rock
I have tried for four months, in jest, of course!! I pick at my cuticles and fingers as a nervous/bored habit (tsk, tsk, I know!) and he always tells me to stop, so I told him if I had something sparkly I would stop, that''s been on the table for all four months and no luck yet! I told him not to propose on a holiday - but then changed my tune when they came around telling him all he had to do was propose to me before Christmas and I needed no other gifts - to no avail, it didn''t work! He keeps talking about buying a house, and I say "let''s get married and save some before we buy a house" and he agrees, but I guess he doesn''t want that house bad enough! I have also told him I''m going to propose - to which I get the answer "well, why don''t you?" - which wouldn''t work anyway! My man is a tricky one - I tell you. Christmas - he was blown away with awesome gifts, which I figured probably buttered him up a little. Oh, the one thing that does get him to talk to me about our wedding is cooking his favorite meals that his mom makes - I''ve got a whole stash of recipes I use from her - and it''s hard to live up to that little Italian lady!

I really like the prescription, that''s a good one - hmmm... if only I needed to go to the doctor...
31.gif

I am interested to hear everyone else''s ideas, though.

~*Alexis*~

Brilliant_Rock
HA!

This is a good one... I will have to remember that!!

designchica

Shiny_Rock
Tell him no ring=no nooky.
27.gif

sweetjettagirl04

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/16/2008 3:58:05 PM
Author: designchica
27.gif
I was going to suggest it, too! Funny what we''ll do to get what we want!

EricaR

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/16/2008 3:58:05 PM
27.gif
Sadly, I tried that too without much luck. He pretty much shrugged and said "Fine."
40.gif

I'm glad you guys are getting a kick out of my antics. I figured if anyone would understand and enjoy it would be the wonderful people on the LIW board.

I wonder what would happen if I told him that the hills behind us were burning and we had to evacuate, but before we did he needs to make sure to rescue the ring? Last October we were evacuated during the fires here in Southern California and I was seen running through the house shouting "Save my coupons!" (I am a big big discount/coupon shopper). I am still taking grief for worring about saving the coupons so I think he might get a laugh out of it.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I''m seriously laughing over here!! I love your little antics, but I really started cracking up when you said that you ran around your house yelling ''save the coupons!!!" while being evacuated. That is just hysterical!!

If I were you, I''d wrap up a "gift" and tell him you''ll give it to him AFTER he gives you the ring and put something silly in there like a funny "thank you" card.

designchica

Shiny_Rock
You could tell him that the longer he waits, the bigger more extravagent proposal you are expecting

louisvgirl

Shiny_Rock
How about confiscating the tv remote?
23.gif

If you do the laundry, how about mis-matching all of his socks?
20.gif

louisvgirl

Shiny_Rock
BTW...were did you have to evacuate from? We almost had to, as well.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
two words.

engagement chicken.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/16/2008 5:01:46 PM
Author: Mara
two words.

engagement chicken.
Plus two more words:

and beer.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/16/2008 5:01:46 PM
Author: Mara
two words.

engagement chicken.

I was thinking the chicken also! Give it a go-nothing to lose!

sherlock10

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/16/2008 4:54:44 PM
You could tell him that the longer he waits, the bigger more extravagent proposal you are expecting
I told him the longer he waited, the bigger it had to be. :) On an exponential scale ;-)

Things I have tried that didn''t work:

Washing his cars.
Doing his laundry.
Cleaning his house.
Begging.
Screaming.
Crying.
Cooking.
Buying him exactly what he wanted for Christmas even though he thought I spent too much money on it.
Going to visit his parents with him for his Dad''s bday, and this weekend, his Mom''s bday.

Good luck, hopefully you have better luck than me!

EricaR

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/16/2008 5:42:39 PM
Author: sherlock10

Date: 1/16/2008 4:54:44 PM
I told him the longer he waited, the bigger it had to be. :) On an exponential scale ;-)

Things I have tried that didn''t work:

Washing his cars.
Doing his laundry.
Cleaning his house.
Begging.
Screaming.
Crying.
Cooking.
Buying him exactly what he wanted for Christmas even though he thought I spent too much money on it.
Going to visit his parents with him for his Dad''s bday, and this weekend, his Mom''s bday.

Good luck, hopefully you have better luck than me!
All of those things sound too serious. Plus I REALLY don''t want him getting used to the idea of me doing laundry. I''d much rather plead ignorance. "I''m sorry honey, I don''t know how to use the washing machine *blink innocently*"

However, cook I can do and do often. Ralphs has whole chickens on sale this weekend, so maybe I''ll give it a shot. The recipe sounds a little too simple though. I think it needs some rosemary and some white wine at least.

Oh, and louisvgirl, I''m in Orange County. The fire literally burned right across the street from our apartment the first night it started, and from each side on both Monday and Tuesday. We ended up evacuating (and yes, I brought my coupons!) and were gone from Sunday through Tuesday night. NOT fun.

louisvgirl

Shiny_Rock
Oh. that''s good your place was okay. It must have sucked to be displaced for that long. I''m out in the Santa Clarita Valley. Thank goodness those days are gone. I never thought it would end.

Now, onto chicken....good luck!
26.gif

CaliBling

Shiny_Rock
Honestly your story is so cute...very endearing and what a fun Doctor, great sport!

KatM

Shiny_Rock
i was thinking he might get used to the nice stuff, too! why propose when you''re getting your car washed for free in the meantime? hehe, i could see a guy getting used to that.

MissErin

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/16/2008 6:36:35 PM
Author: louisvgirl
Oh. that''s good your place was okay. It must have sucked to be displaced for that long. I''m out in the Santa Clarita Valley. Thank goodness those days are gone. I never thought it would end.

Now, onto chicken....good luck!
26.gif

Little bit of a thread jack... But... OMG!!! I too live in Santa Clarita. :) When I saw this I was SHOCKED!! What would be the likelyhood of 2 SCV people?? Wow.

EricaR

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/16/2008 4:45:04 PM
Author: NewEnglandLady

If I were you, I''d wrap up a ''gift'' and tell him you''ll give it to him AFTER he gives you the ring and put something silly in there like a funny ''thank you'' card.
Ok, I did this last night. Being a crafty gal I pulled out my rubber stamps and made him a card. The front has a bunch of sweet stamps - hearts, I love yous, etc. Inside I took a big black marker and wrote "SUCKER!!!" Then I put it in the envelope, dug out a big box and filled it with paper, put the card on top of the paper, sealed the box and then wrapped it.

He pretty much just rolled his eyes at the box and knowing him he isn''t even curious. But every time I see the box I giggle.

19.gif

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Erica you''re hilarious! I love how much fun you''re having with this!
36.gif

mirre

Shiny_Rock
I LOVE the doctor part! So cute! I haven''t got anything good for you but if I come up with something I''ll be sure to post. But I did think, How adorable would it be if when he proposed he puts the ring in a prescription bottle and made a fake sticker for it?! To go along with you having your Dr. write out the "prescription"

EricaR

Ideal_Rock
The engagement chicken didn''t work. Yet. The recipe was only so-so. K is VERY spoiled because I am a pretty good cook. I''ve taken cooking classes and he is always more than willing to sample my homework.
9.gif

CNOS128

Ideal_Rock
Purchase a cheap & objectively hideous ring to wear so he HAS to replace that one with a nicer ring. Make it big, so he''d be embarrassed to be seen with you.
2.gif

Obviously, if i had brilliant and effective ideas i wouldn''t still be "in waiting." But I feel better knowing I''m not the only girl who''s offered her boyfriend a man-gagement ring. (He said if HE gets a ring, I don''t get one at all!!)

emilina22

Brilliant_Rock
right before M and i started looking for ring ideas and whatnot last summer i was like you know what "if you propose by the end of the year you''ll get that plastation 3 that you want" and since i usually would never ever spend a lot on that kind of stuff i thought i would work...so one day in November after i had saved up all the money for the 80 gb (which was a suprise cause he thought he was getting the 60 gb, i was like "lets go get it casue im serious about it, since i KNOoOoOW how much you wanted it for like forever..(and really quietly i added in there..) just like i wanted to get engaged this christmas" of course he rolls his eyes and laughs...but low and behold a month later on december 15 he pops the question...

so thats how i "conned" my ring outa my guy...lol but actually he had been planning that day for much longer than i had been planning on giving him his gift...so MAYBE he conned me out of a playstation....hmmm guess well never know...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results